Special characters, tournament legal? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Special characters, tournament legal?

I was just wondering about the legality of using special characters in tournaments and, I suppose, other games.

It used to be there was the "permission" text and you couldn't have them in tournaments.

However in the new eldar codex they are treated the same as regular HQ options.

And checking the IG codex their special characters are also missing the "permission" text. They simply have point requirments.

So have the floodgates been opened for special characters and I missed it? Are there any differences for the eldar except for being able to take characters in small games?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Basically, special character entries that do not require your opponent's permission, may be taken without. If they do, you must get your opponent's permission, obviously.

As for tournaments, I'm not 100% sure, as I've never been to one, but I would think that because they are 100% legal, and do not require permission to use, then they are A-okay for tourneys. Banning them would be like banning another entry, such as, say, Striking Scorpions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i recall there are only a few with "permission only" status, the 2 witch hunters and one

IG. but i lack 2 codexes so i cant say for sure
    In the name of god impure souls of the living dead shal be banished into eturnal damnation. Amen.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Some tournaments allow them and some do not, it's at the discretion of the organizer. For example, we have two local gaming clubs here that host RTT's frequently - one allows special characters and the other does not.

It's always best to ask the organizer well ahead of time so you can plan around not being able to use one.

I would think that because they are 100% legal, and do not require permission to use, then they are A-okay for tourneys. Banning them would be like banning another entry, such as, say, Striking Scorpions.
    Not totally accurate, unfortunately... some of the older codices still require opponent's permission as they can be pretty ugly (Saint Celestine, for example). So at this point, they are still outlawed on occassion, though it is becoming more and more frequent for special characters to be allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Yep, moob is right.

Usually, in my experience anyway, Special Characters (regardless of rules) are not Tournament legal. Some tournies let you though. As moob said, check with the organisers.
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

The thing with the new Eldar codex is that it doesn't have special characters anymore. The Phoenix Lords, Yriel and Eldrad is just like anyother HQ-choice, except they have some nifty special rules and a name.

I wouldn't field one of them unless they fit the game I'll play though. Best way to see how tournaments will handle them is to wait for the next GT.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    The thing with the new Eldar codex is that it doesn't have special characters anymore. The Phoenix Lords, Yriel and Eldrad is just like anyother HQ-choice, except they have some nifty special rules and a name.

I wouldn't field one of them unless they fit the game I'll play though. Best way to see how tournaments will handle them is to wait for the next GT.
    For all intents & purposes, they are still special characters even if they don't require your opponent's permission to use. Tournaments can (and frequently do) still outlaw them, though, just like forgeworld.

Just make sure never to assume how a tournament will do it based on how others are run - it's always best to ask the organizer. The last thing you want is to show up with a model(s) that are not legal to use.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    Not totally accurate, unfortunately... some of the older codices still require opponent's permission as they can be pretty ugly (Saint Celestine, for example). So at this point, they are still outlawed on occassion, though it is becoming more and more frequent for special characters to be allowed.
    I was only talking about the ones that do not require permission... they are not "special characters," but instead HQ options, such as the Eldar Phoenix Lords, etc. Banning them would be, as I said, like banning a unit such as the Striking Scorpions, in my opinion.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I was only talking about the ones that do not require permission... they are not "special characters," but instead HQ options, such as the Eldar Phoenix Lords, etc. Banning them would be, as I said, like banning a unit such as the Striking Scorpions, in my opinion.
    They are still considered special characters, even if they don't require opponent's permission. It would not be fair to not allow one codex to use it's special characters and allow others. Just because the eldar characters don't require permission doesn't mean they aren't characters.

And trust me, they do get banned by some tournament organizers, as it's at their sole discretion as to what you can use. I've seen it come up before. The new fantasy codices are the same way - their once permission-only characters are now just basic lord choices. And one of the tournaments here recently didn't allow those, either.

I don't know how many other ways I can say the same thing: check with your tournament organizer ahead of time so you're not disappointed at the door.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    I don't know how many other ways I can say the same thing: check with your tournament organizer ahead of time so you're not disappointed at the door.
    I believe this has sort of evolved from that.

I honestly don't see why they would ban them - they aren't that "special," as far as the new ones go, and their points cost justifies everything given to them. They are listed in the HQ section just as another choice, not as a special character... I would think that it'd be kind of silly for a tourney organiser to ban them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast