Infiltrating characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Infiltrating characters

Some ICs have the infiltrate special rule and can bestow it to their unit (e.g. Karandras from the Eldar Codex)... how does this work?

They do not have a retinue, so should be fielded separately from any unit they might want to join, following the normal deployment rules, thus not being able to give the ability to their unit, as it would technically have it only after deployment. (e.g. I field HSupport, then Troops, then Elites deploying my scorpions on the table and only AFTER this I can deploy Karandras, giving the unit Infiltrate. Sadly both units are deployed now, so they can't use the special ability abymore).

One solution would be to field the unit, then when you field the ICtake the unit off the field and declare them in infiltration along with the character... but I'm sure the cries of CHEES will reverberate through the gaming club...

- Just love that maki! -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the codex descriptions of pheonix lords.

It says somethig to the effect of "A pheonix lord may lead a troup of warriors from their shrine into battle as a retinue". Sorry but I cannot give a page ref as I am going from memory.

Covers the problem nicely, you buy them as 1 squad - deploy as 1 squad and they remain 1 squad so no problems with the cheeze police!
    -- Promotions/Public Officer --
    Dandenong Wargamers And Roleplayers Federation.

LINK - Meetup D.W.A.R.F.

LINK - D.W.A.R.F. Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Sadly that is not the case...

In the paragraph where it states that PLs can lead units, it specifies that they "cannot JOIN a unit that is not of their aspect", thus meaning that it's not a retinue, but a simple case of IC joining a unit.
    - Just love that maki! -

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

40K rulebook, page 74 and 75 (universal special rules).

Infiltrate has a little * next to it indicating that unless all models in question (i.e both squad and character) have the infiltrate rule it is lost when one with infiltrate joins one without infiltrate.

So unless the unit in question has infiltrate, you're out of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

That is widely known... ^_^'

The fact is that some IC (e.g. Karandras) can bestow Infiltrate upon units they are with (as per the Scorpion's Exarch power "Shadowstrike").

How does it work for them?
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

It works like this:

Assuming you are not playing Escalation and all your army starts on the field:

Have Khardaros join a scorpion squad (either in the deployment zone or if the squad exarch already has shadow strike, infiltrated) by deploying within 2 inches of a unit member

But If Khadaros did not have that ability, he could not join the squad if it was infiltrated

RAW suggests that the ability of Khadaros to give the squad infiltrate is mute because technically he can not join it until he is within 2 inches of it, i.e both he and the squad must already be deployed before he can be counted as joined

I do not believe that was the intent however, and most friendlies will let him give a squad of scorpions the infiltrate ability
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread