Measuring distances, etiquette or rule? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measuring distances, etiquette or rule?

I have a question. I know it is illegal to measure distance to an enemy before shooting at them per the BBB. My question is this: Is it illegal to measure out the distance a vehicle/squad can move prior to moving it? Or is it just a gaming etiquette issue?

Setup: My friend and I were playing this past weekend. He chose to measure out how far his tanks could move (in all directions) prior to actually moving the tank. He was also measuring out how far they could move in order to determine if he would have line of sight on an enemy unit/tank prior to actually moving there. To me, this seems like cheating. It seems as though the vehicle would have to move much in the same way it would have to shoot. That is, move and if you are out of range/no LoS - tough poo. A unit/squad/tank which chooses to shoot at an enemy and doesn't have range loses the shot.

I haven't had time to check the BBB about this, and I was curious for those of you who have time to look, can you measure the distance you want to move and determine if it suits you to do so, before actually moving there?

Maybe I am reading too much into the game. Anyhow, please advise.

~the machine god

{secretly the machine god plays Tau and CSM ...shhhh...don't tell the adepts!!!}

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe it's a written rule about measuring movement. It is definately considered very rude and unsportsman in my area. If you put the measuring stick to your model and point it it a direction, they need to then move in that direction.

Now it's usually OK to just pick up a model and place it where abouts you want to move it to, WITH OUT measuring. If you have not taken your hand off the model you can put it back where it was. More for squads of stuff then for vehicles, since vehicles it's harder to tell exactly where it was before.

My general rule of thumb when playing tournies, "if I would not want the person doing it for whatever reason, then I don't do it."
    Age is a state of mind, and since I have no mind, I don't age.
    Check out my painting blog at http://gmansminipainting.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so it is just a matter of gaming etiquette then. Thanks.
    ~the machine god

{secretly the machine god plays Tau and CSM ...shhhh...don't tell the adepts!!!}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Nothing in the rules says you can.

That said, if someone premeasured, and claimed the rules didn't say they couldn't, I'd simply point out my nids have a 2++ rerollable save since the rules don't say they don't.

Play by what the rules say you can.

When measuring, if someone pulls out more tape than the 6", I know they are preeasuring, and will then start calling them on all other rules infractions, seeing as they've decided to not play for fun.

And yup, it also comes to etiquette. Just like fighting a modeled army. While I have no problem killing "army men", I prefer to kill GW figs, vs tokens. Some liberties I let people take, premeasuring I don't.

Follow the rules, and we'll both get along and have fun.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread