Few questions I've been having since i came back to 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few questions I've been having since i came back to 40k

First off I'd like to say wow to this forum, and it's my first time posting here. It's been a while since I've seen such an active warhammer forum once portent went down. Anyway, on to the questions.

1. As per 4th edition's BBB I'm having some problems with CC. Lets say I have an Imperial Guard command squad with an attached Commissar, and a squad of orcs charges me. I've so far deduced that the orcs may either attack the heroic senior officer or his retinue. Now the rules for different weapon skills comes into play, against the normal fellas the orcs would hit on 3+ , but what about the commissar? Does he have to just suck it up and get hit on 3+ even though he normally wouldn't or is there some special rule that I'm missing?

2. Is there a difference between moral tests and leadership tests? I.E. when checking to see if can shoot a target that is NOT the closest target can I a)have a regular squad use the HSO's leadership for the test with no penalty for failing from the commissar or b) as per summary execution does my boy get dropped for not keeping his cool?

As you can tell I play IG (and space marines but who doesn't) and I may have more questions as I get settled back in.

Also I couldn't find a search option so I apologize for asking a question that may have been answered before.

Thanks

edit::tried to clear some things up in my post

Last edited by JonU; January 9th, 2007 at 03:28.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

question 1 depends whether or not the squad leader is an independant character. If they are, then they are targeted as a seperrate unit, and all attacks allocated to that unit take the WS to hit comparison based on that specific leader. however, if he isn't, then he is still hit just like the rest of the squad. no matter how skilled he is, he can't prevent other gaurdsmen form getting hit.

about question 2, the short answer is yes, there is a difference between morale and leadership checks.

pretty much, morale checks pertain to anything involving the loss of your men (like shooting results, winning/losing combat, ect.) and falling back. Fearless units are immune to morale checks.

Leadership tests involve instincitve action of your men, like checking to see whether or not you can fire at the closest unit, or keep moving while under pinning fire.

So in conclusion, you can;t pop off sarges head for shooting at the closer unit. However, you shouldnt really be failing those target priorty checks with an ld10 commisiar, so you've got nothing to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by JonU View Post
    First off I'd like to say wow to this forum, and it's my first time posting here. It's been a while since I've seen such an active warhammer forum once portent went down. Anyway, on to the questions.

1. As per 4th edition's BBB I'm having some problems with CC. Lets say I have an Imperial Guard command squad with an attached Commissar, and a squad of orcs charges me. I've so far deduced that the orcs may either attack the heroic senior officer or his retinue. Now the rules for different weapon skills comes into play, against the normal fellas the orcs would hit on 3+ , but what about the commissar? Does he have to just suck it up and get hit on 3+ even though he normally wouldn't or is there some special rule that I'm missing?
    The Commissar isn't an independent character, so the Orks attack versus the WS of the majority of engaged models, as per page 40 of the BGB.

2. Is there a difference between moral tests and leadership tests? I.E. when checking to see if can shoot a target that is NOT the closest target can I a)have a regular squad use the HSO's leadership for the test with no penalty for failing from the commissar or b) as per summary execution does my boy get dropped for not keeping his cool?
    They are different, or can be. A Morale test is a specific kind of leadership test. You aren't in danger of getting executed for failing a leadership test for target priority checks.

Valerian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a bunch for the insight.

In your response to question one i feel as though i wasn't specific enough, the commisar I was thinking of was using the "vanilla" imperial guard list making him a part of the squad just like a like a vet. sgt. Im not concerned so much with my commisar protecting the other guard so much as himself. I feel as though he is hit too easily and the points i spent on him are a tad squandered.

As to the your answer to question 2 I kinda suspected that there was a difference but is there anywhere specific that i can see this decree? I have a whole group to school in the ways of 40k rules.

I know these are pretty imperial guard centered rules but I have a few more.

Lets say I use an IG officers leadership to make a moral check for another group using his leadership special rule. A commissar is attatched and I happen to fail the test. Now the question is: Is the officer taking the test or is the sqaud just using his leadership to take the test?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Lets say I use an IG officers leadership to make a moral check for another group using his leadership special rule. A commissar is attatched and I happen to fail the test. Now the question is: Is the officer taking the test or is the sqaud just using his leadership to take the test?
    Only when the unit including the officer fails a morale check does the Summary Execution rule get invoked by the commissar.

The rule states "If a unit with a commissar..." - the commissar isn't with the running squad in this case, so doesn't shoot anyone.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    Only when the unit including the officer fails a morale check does the Summary Execution rule get invoked by the commissar.

The rule states "If a unit with a commissar..." - the commissar isn't with the running squad in this case, so doesn't shoot anyone.
    so does the unit with the commissar take the morale test or the other unit just simply uses the value..sorry dont have codex handy

imagery of the commander radio-ing orders gives me the impression he's taking it it hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

question 1 depends whether or not the squad leader is an independant character. If they are, then they are targeted as a seperrate unit, and all attacks allocated to that unit take the WS to hit comparison based on that specific leader. however, if he isn't, then he is still hit just like the rest of the squad. no matter how skilled he is, he can't prevent other gaurdsmen form getting hit.
    When the other unit attack the guard you take the average ws. When the commish attack back he uses his ws not the average.
    bonekrusher

+ Reply to Thread