templates on based vehicles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

templates on based vehicles

On page 6 it states models are assumed to occupy the area of their base. Does this mean for LOS/template purposes that you have to see/hit the base rather than the vehicle?

On a side note, I'd like to get some opinions on an argument that came up this past weekend. I was shooting at a squad of grey knights with a squad of dire avengers. I measured the distance (they were within 18") and killed a few. I shoot/assault elsewhere on the map and my turn ends.

Now for the argument--My friend wanted to attack the avengers with the GK's. He preferred to move closer, shoot and assault, but didn't know if he was within 12". So, he asks me what distance I measured when I shot at them in the previous turn!

I refused, argument insued. I can't even believe he asked. His argument was that if he wanted he could've looked at what distance I measured previously and would know, so there was no harm in telling him. BS I say.

He also likes to measure things using his hands. I've yet to complain about it, but I think its cheating as well. Am I wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by adam_gipson View Post
    On page 6 it states models are assumed to occupy the area of their base. Does this mean for LOS/template purposes that you have to see/hit the base rather than the vehicle?

On a side note, I'd like to get some opinions on an argument that came up this past weekend. I was shooting at a squad of grey knights with a squad of dire avengers. I measured the distance (they were within 18") and killed a few. I shoot/assault elsewhere on the map and my turn ends.

Now for the argument--My friend wanted to attack the avengers with the GK's. He preferred to move closer, shoot and assault, but didn't know if he was within 12". So, he asks me what distance I measured when I shot at them in the previous turn!

I refused, argument insued. I can't even believe he asked. His argument was that if he wanted he could've looked at what distance I measured previously and would know, so there was no harm in telling him. BS I say.

He also likes to measure things using his hands. I've yet to complain about it, but I think its cheating as well. Am I wrong?

As of the new faq, except for walkers, you use a vehicles actual footprint, not the base. Check GW's site to download it.

And yes he is cheating. It says you cannot measure. It does not say "measure with a ruler". Any type of gaugeing distance which can be classified as 'measureing' is strickly forbidden in the rules, except of course the guesstamates you can make with your own eyes.

Also, I agree that he should not even ask you such a bogus question. It would be acceptable to ask something like "did their shot hit or fall short" but asking you for actual range is not cool.
    Last edited by Sinjin; January 9th, 2007 at 20:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to mention, he hand measures when deep-striking, not when shooting.
    Last edited by adam_gipson; January 9th, 2007 at 23:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by adam_gipson View Post
    I forgot to mention, he hand mesures when deep-striking, not when shooting.
    it does not matter where or how he does it. measureing is measureing.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

When you check distance to see if you are in range to fire, you cannot purposefully hide the distance you measure from your opponent. That said, if he doesn't pay attention, it is his fault for not seeing what it was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

He's cheating.

The simple thing I would do is lie to him. For example:
    "It's actually against the rules to tell you, but oh well. My Avenger Shuirken Catapults on my Dire Avengers shoot 24 inches."
    When he goes short and moans, simply reply:
    "I am very sorry. I will check the Dire Avenger Shuriken Catapult entry in my new Codex: Eldar right now. Oh sorry, it can fire 18 inches. My bad."

Something like that. Take ages, waste time, annoy him. He'll eventually learn not to cheat and play properly. =D
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

+ Reply to Thread