some movement questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Big fish in a little pond raytard22's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

some movement questions

One of my biggest gripes about the 4th edition codex is the lack of the details regarding movement, and in general close combat moves.... I will pose a few questions here but the main question is how and when can you move a unit in non linear fashion......

although the rules don't come right out and say it, it is my understanding that moving in non linear fashion is not how the game was intended....in other words bendy moves weren't intended. all the movement examples in the bock have straight lines, there is no mention of non linear moves, even when x and y coordinates are used it's always just total distance x and or y cannot exceed your max move....

picture a squad on one side of a piece of area terrain, the player who's movement phase it is wants to move the squad to the other side of the the terrain.. say the terrain is 3" wide for argument's sake and lets say if i "walk around the feature" it uses up the full 6" of my movement....now let's say i could have achieved the same overall movement result by taking a difficult terrain test and rolling a 4....does the player's around the feature movement break the rules? how about if the terrain feature was impassible? or if it was a friendly squad?

to further add to this rules question say said unit was going to make an assault on an enemy unit on the other side of the area terrain in the assault phase... while common sense(and my understanding of the rules) would say they should make a difficult terrain test in order to assault, there is a rule in the assault section that says movement in the assualt phase follows all rules of movement in the movement phase.... and since there is no specific rule saying you must move always in a straight line, could you do the wrap around assault and guarantee a cc?? also what about instances say where the closest model wasn't behind terrain but some of the unit was behing but could wrap move ...how about if this terrain feature was impassible??

my take is there is no black and white answer to this, and for the most part people agree about the straight line movement, but i would love to hear other people's thoughts on the subject.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can make it by running around the terrain then go for it. The only thing that isn't allowed is measuring first. Also once you roll that difficult terrain test you must use it. No rolling nothing but one's and two's and then deciding to try and run around the end of the terrain feature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinosaur View Post
    If you can make it by running around the terrain then go for it. The only thing that isn't allowed is measuring first. Also once you roll that difficult terrain test you must use it. No rolling nothing but one's and two's and then deciding to try and run around the end of the terrain feature.
    for which example?? durring the movement phase or the assault phase? and where do you get the measuring first is not allowed rule?? that's a carry over from shooting rules no??... regular movement goes 1. chose a unit to move 2. move any or all the models up to their max move 3 repeat until movement is complete..while i appreciate your opinion on the subject, and it is counter to mine, perhaps you could explain a little more...

again my gripe is with the lack of description of the movement phase and here's yet another example of what i'm talking about.... 3rd edition had stuff like wrap around rule which actually allowed non linear movement.... 4th edtion all they say about pile in is it's done the same as moving chargers and they have a picture with straight lines...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Movement in the movement phase can be any way you want - after all, it would specify clearly in the BGB if you were going to be limited to a straight line in your movement (because it's so counter intuitive to how a person on foot would move). To further this point, there are times when you must move in a straight line when possible: Falling back and to initiate an assault.

The rules for assaulting an enemy unit say you must start your assault by moving in the most direct fashion (ie, a straight line if no impassible terrain blocks, or edging the impassible terrain as close as possible if there is) with the closest-to-closest models. In this situation, you could not run around a piece of non-impassible terrain in the way to avoid a difficult terrain test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    Movement in the movement phase can be any way you want - after all, it would specify clearly in the BGB if you were going to be limited to a straight line in your movement (because it's so counter intuitive to how a person on foot would move). To further this point, there are times when you must move in a straight line when possible: Falling back and to initiate an assault.

The rules for assaulting an enemy unit say you must start your assault by moving in the most direct fashion (ie, a straight line if no impassible terrain blocks, or edging the impassible terrain as close as possible if there is) with the closest-to-closest models. In this situation, you could not run around a piece of non-impassible terrain in the way to avoid a difficult terrain test.
    Ok let me pose this question in a different way... 40k is a game of 2d movement, your unit starts at a coordinate and ends at a different coordinate in a given movement phase. No matter how you make your move the result can always be a straight line move. My examples above tried to show a case where this straight line would go through difficult terrain, impassible terrain, ect. To me this should be addressed.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

And I was addressing it by stating that just because you can draw a straight line between where you start and where you end in the movement phase doesn't mean that you must traverse said line as your route (with the given exceptions aside).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Moob is right on on this one...

During the movement phase you could walk around said difficult terrain. Nothing says you have to go through. in fact you don't even need to move at all if you wish. When it comes to assault phase, it can be assumed your troops are too in the moment to think rationaly and as a result must move in straight lines to initiate assault.

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

When it comes to assault phase, it can be assumed your troops are too in the moment to think rationaly and as a result must move in straight lines to initiate assault.
    In the same line of "fluff thinking" why would a unit wrap around area terrain instead of moving through it if they were going to end up in the same spot, especially when the terrain offers a bonus cover save as they advance.

To sum up the answers in a nutshell:
    The rules don't specifically say you can't move in non linear fashion so it is ok to do so given you follow rules for close combat engagement...

That was the answer I thought I would get, all I can hope for is a slightly better explaination in the next ruleset.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by raytard22 View Post
    In the same line of "fluff thinking" why would a unit wrap around area terrain instead of moving through it if they were going to end up in the same spot, especially when the terrain offers a bonus cover save as they advance.
    Laziness :p Think of it this way in terms of fluff, if you were standing on one side of a 6 foot fence with an open gate 3 feet away and wanted to get to the other side, which would you do:
    1) climb the fence and risk falling (failing the terrain roll to make it through)
    2) walk 3 feet to the left, go through an open gate, and then walk 3 feet back to the right

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    movement in straight lines is just to illustrate what the “maximum” distance travelled away from a given starting point possible would be and if you wished to travel in a non linear fashion no one is going to stop you doing so.
    View it like a piece of string, stretch it out to the maximum distance allowed and then use that measured distance in what ever curve you like.
    The only exception to this that I can think of is movement “minimums” such vehicles that need to move a certain distance away from their starting point in order to claim some benefits. In this case you can not conveniently coil the string to achieve the required distance, you are really required to use the measurement in a strict linear sense only.
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread