Charging multiple units and ICs in cover. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    8 (x1)

    Charging multiple units and ICs in cover.

    First, I assume that if you charge a unit that has any member in cover, they strike first, unless I'm mistaken and it has to be the majority of the unit in cover. In any case, my question is if you charge multiple units, one in cover and one not in cover, then does the unit not in cover strike in initiative order?

    It would seem logical, but then it gets more complicated. Say you charge a unit partially (with the majority) in cover. However, an IC attached to the unit is not in cover. As ICs are seperate from the unit, as you can allocate attacks, does he benefit from the rest of his unit in cover?

    Thanks in advance TDP


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    7 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadpirate View Post
    First, I assume that if you charge a unit that has any member in cover, they strike first, unless I'm mistaken and it has to be the majority of the unit in cover.
    I guess that since the book says "models that are charged..." (page 39) it's precisely the models that are in cover that get the advantage... but don't trust my interpretation.

    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadpirate View Post
    In any case, my question is if you charge multiple units, one in cover and one not in cover, then does the unit not in cover strike in initiative order?
    I think we can confidently say "yes" to that one. As it's not in cover, page 39 of the book seems to make it pretty clear that they don't get a benefit. When you charge a unit in cover, what actually happens is that they count as having Initiative 10, and with that in mind the combat still does happen in Initiative order. So the unit you assaulted in cover has Initiative 10 and thus strikes first, while the unit not in cover doesn't have Initiative 10, because it's not in cover, and so you and they fight with normal Initiative.

    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadpirate View Post
    It would seem logical, but then it gets more complicated. Say you charge a unit partially (with the majority) in cover. However, an IC attached to the unit is not in cover. As ICs are seperate from the unit, as you can allocate attacks, does he benefit from the rest of his unit in cover?

    Thanks in advance TDP
    I would say no, he doesn't. Both because of the "models" wording I mentioned above, and because of this line from page 2 of the main rulebook errata document: "Independent Characters are treated as separate units when the models' attacks are resolved (rolling to hit, to wound, taking saves). Once the result of the combat has been worked out, and before any Morale tests are taken by the losing side, Independent Chracters become once again part of the squad they have joined." That seems to imply that they should be treated as separate units when deciding what their Initiative is, too.
    Tyranids / Skaven / Pan Oceania

    UK Student? Take part in the Student Nationals at Sheffield University, the weekend after Easter weekend 2008 - wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, board games - see www.studentnationals.org for more details!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts