Spreading out wounds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spreading out wounds

This situation came up in a game tonight. During the shooting phase a mob of Orks took a wound and my opponent put the wound onto his Nob. I preceded to charge the mob and inflicted additional wounds. Is the Ork player required to kill of his Nob before he kills of his other boyz. The only refrences in the BGB about multi wound models is in refrence to full squads of multi wound models. I think I was cheated. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no, as far as i know he can do it...

because, as you said, the only rules like that are for the whole squad as multi-wound models...

however, i will probably be proven wrong shortly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ork player is allowed to distribute wounds however he sees fit. As long as he has other models in the same squad, he doesn't have to kill off the Nob until its his last model standing. Its to prevent people from "Sniping" off the special units in a squad. It would be great if you could choose who in a squad takes a hit, i would usually take out the power fist weilding grunts that seem to love to rip into my wraithlord with every shot, but sadly the defending player always gets to assign wounds, Unless specifically noted in the model description.
    "He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it." Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

RAW says he can't put the wound to the NOB in the first place, until all single wound models are removed first.

BGB, 26 and 27.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where and how does it say that? I just cant find that rule. I face orks all the time, and this would help me alot...
    "The ones with lingon och skit" - Andusciassus

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

The rule (I haven't got the page number, but I assume Tarzen's page number is correct) says basically-

"You must remove whole models first, you may not distribute wounds across multiple models".

IIRC it uses ogryns in the example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Indeed. The only exception to the rule of placing wounds is when it comes to units that consist of entirely multiwound models. Even then you must remove whole models without spreading out wounds.

That all said, there are times where the nob can take wounds before the rest, namely in the case of mixed armour. But that's not really what this thread is about=)

So, short answer, wounds must kill models and you can't spread wounds to prevent removing models. By giving the nob a wound, you are indeed ignoring this rule.
    My armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    RAW says he can't put the wound to the NOB in the first place, until all single wound models are removed first.
    Tarzen,

This isn't at all what RAW says on pages 26 and 27 of the rulebook. The sentence, that I assume you are pulling this from, says "When a unit contains several multiple-Wound models, and those models take wounds, you must remove whole multiple-Wound models from the unit as casualties where possible - wounds may not be 'spread around' to avoid removing models."

This sentence does not apply to the situation described by the original post in the thread, as this unit does not contain several multiple-Wound models; it contains only one multiple-Wound model, and a whole mob of single-Wound models.

The Ork player, in the scenario was perfectly within his rights as the owning player to assign a wound in the shooting phase to the Nob, and in the close combat phase assigning further wounding hits to the other Orks in the mob, preserving his Nob.

Regardless, this is not a case of 'spreading out wounds' as all of the wounding hits from the close combat phase are removing single-Wound Orks, assuming they fail Armour Saves.

Valerian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Valerian View Post
    Tarzen,

This isn't at all what RAW says on pages 26 and 27 of the rulebook. The sentence, that I assume you are pulling this from, says "When a unit contains several multiple-Wound models, and those models take wounds, you must remove whole multiple-Wound models from the unit as casualties where possible - wounds may not be 'spread around' to avoid removing models."

This sentence does not apply to the situation described by the original post in the thread, as this unit does not contain several multiple-Wound models; it contains only one multiple-Wound model, and a whole mob of single-Wound models.
    But you are not removing models as per p 26. And 27 further reinforces the notion that to spread wounds is not allowed. If you had a unit with 1 wound model, 2 wound models, and 3 wounds models, and you took 2 wounds, you couldn't choose to place them on the 3 wound model.
    The Ork player, in the scenario was perfectly within his rights as the owning player to assign a wound in the shooting phase to the Nob, and in the close combat phase assigning further wounding hits to the other Orks in the mob, preserving his Nob.

Regardless, this is not a case of 'spreading out wounds' as all of the wounding hits from the close combat phase are removing single-Wound Orks, assuming they fail Armour Saves.
    Valerian
    And by putting a wound on the nob, you are spreading out the wounds, by the very definition of avoiding removing models.
    My armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

But you are not removing models as per p 26.
    You are, becuase the guidance from page 26 simply says that it is up to the owning player to assign wounding hits.

And 27 further reinforces the notion that to spread wounds is not allowed. If you had a unit with 1 wound model, 2 wound models, and 3 wounds models, and you took 2 wounds, you couldn't choose to place them on the 3 wound model.
    You can place both wounds on the 3 wound model, as that isn't 'spreading wounds', they are both going to the same place. The fact that nobody gets removed during that phase is irrelevant.

And by putting a wound on the nob, you are spreading out the wounds, by the very definition of avoiding removing models.
    Not only is this also not spreading wounds, the sentence on page 27 does not apply, as it starts out "When a unit contains several multiple-Wound models..." which is not the case in this example.

Valerian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast