Librarium Online Forums banner

(power) weapons

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Da Springy Nids 
#1 · (Edited)
I did a couple of searches but my problem is probably just to obvious, I just picked up 40k again after a 8 year absense and in the old system there was a weapons book with the basic rules set that handled all weapens and weapon rules.
I now bought codex: SM, build an army but have to select a "power weapon" from the wargear list, it don't state what my options are, now I bought the 40k rulebook and guess what, still nothing, do I need to buy the weapons book just to know what I should select, Power Sword/Axe/Maul/Bunny?
In the rulebook it says "see codex for details" what am I missing...

#2 ·
1. Welcome back to the game.

2. These days there is no difference between a Power Sword, Power Axe, Power Maul and so on. They all count as a Power Weapon. And you can find the rules for Power Weapons in the Assault Phase Section of the Basic Rulebook.

3. Powerfists do not count as Power Weapons, they count as Powerfists. And again - you can find the rules for those in the Assault Section.

Hope I could help.

EDIT: cleaned up the spelling a little bit.

#7 ·
Not much help on the Power weapon thing but I can help with the transition from 2nd to 4th ed.
I did this myself a few years back.

Read the rules, say this sucks!

Read the rules again. Say this still sucks but at least its faster.

Read the rules again. Still designed for a younger demographic than 2nd but way faster and less rortable.

Then after all this, Read the rules again!

I still get tripped up by rules from way back that I think are current.

#8 · (Edited)
Well, thats what I did now, read the rules, thick book I thought, but not more then about 80 or so pages of rules, but it's all pretty clear now, and indeed a lot more simple :yes:

Anyways, thanks all, and yeah, I'm happy to be back
Now if GW can hurry up with my ordered parts I can build my army

#9 ·
Welcome back

Thank god someone else understands my pain and 2 people in 1 post. There are major differences in the game from 2nd edition to the current one. One wonderful new thing is that games no longer take a whole afternoon and you can usually get 2-3 games in on a afternoon with a little luck. Also a lot of the unit rules and weapons rules are really simplified.

Here's the bad news, all those combat modifiers, and different weapon types went out the window, reference cards.. gone... shock attack gun gone (which may be good if you don't play orks). A power weapons is simply that and is standard across all 40K armies now.

Every now and then i deploy and forget i can't overwatch....

#10 ·
Yeah, but s7 banshees that kept you from attacking first turn of combat were better.

Parries just forced rerolls of ops rolls. Mastercrafted kinda took it's place. Combat is faster and generally sucks compared to 2nd ed, seeing as numbers don't win fights anymore, unless they can somehow inflict wounds (not really the case with most armies).

Vehicles suck now (as transports) and all die horrible deaths to the lightest sneezes (besides the falcon and monolith).

No more force cards, and force weapons aint nearly as cool as before=(

And yeah, no more bonus to armour saves or modifiers=(. I loved watching marines take 6+ saves.

#11 ·
Ahhh, 2nd ED.

Pop up attacks

Vehicles being able to shoot weapons at different targets

Games where you characters were half your army

Ohh, and the Vortex grenade

Hmmm, maybe 4th ed aint so bad.

#12 ·
mmmmmm.........2nd edition..........

Carnifex with 10 wounds, regenerate that worked on a 4+, 3+ save on 2D6, plus a 4+ unmodifiable save............

Bloodthirster with WS10 and 10 Attacks......

Virus bombs.......kill an entire army of IG or do nothing to space marines......

mmmm......

#14 ·
4th > 2nd. I missed 3rd edition completely - and when I got the rulebook for 4th ed, I loved how much faster the game had become. Those vehicle damage charts were so annoying... each section had different armor values and different possibilities to damage it. Keeping track of everything was such a pain.

And no more Jain Zar stopping you from attacking (or was it reduce to WS0?) for the first round, and if you happened to survive, you still couldn't in the second unless you rolled a 4+... and her 2-parry blade of doom. Not to mention her Xena thrown weapon... 'Oh look, I hit you on a 2 and wounded you on a 3 - I get to hit another person now within 2" (your squad coherency)'!

#16 ·
Another one here returning back to W40K after a 13 year (so 2nd edition, though played a fair bit of 1st edition when I was a wee-one) break.

Why has no one mentioned the insta-vehicle-killing Harlequin's Kiss of 2nd ed (or was that 1st ed..)? :) I gather it's been nerfed a bit now though but, likewise, vehicles look like they're made of paper too!

And the number of Death Company is randomly generated now? Curious stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.