IG medic inquiry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG medic inquiry

Question 1:

Ok, so i read through most of the medic threads and didn't find anything that could help with this specific scenario. Lemme paint you a mental picture: Ig command hq with 2 living guardsmen (one is a medic), and one officer (a total of 3) get shot at by a heavy bolter. Lets assume all 3 shots hot and wound appropriately. Now the problem arises when the wounds are distributed. I was told by a friend (IG player i was playing against) that the medic can ignore the first failed armor save as stated in the codex. However, with the Heavy bolters AP of 4 (therefore negating the IG 5+ save) i was wondering if it even counts as a "failed save" (stated in the codex). I mean the way i look at it he never got roll the save and hence doesnt not allow medic to ignore the failed save. Anyways i let it ride since hes legit and has had more experience with the new rules, but i would like to know the actual ruling (so i can punch him in the arm when i see him). The way the wounds were actually removed by him were:

1)ignoring the first "failed save" with medic
    2)1 guardsman
    3)1 guardsman (medic)

and hence letting that darn officer run around with his power sword!!

Question 2:

Another IG medic related question (i guess apothecaries apply too) is when they charge. Lets say the ig command platoon mans the charge into a squad of marines. Now are you allowed to "strategically" (or should i say conveniently) have the medic not geting to base to base even though if you tried you could have gotten him in. Basically by putting the medic bedhind the others to make it seem as if there was no room so he can heal up the first save.

Anyways. thanks in advance for the help i can elaborate on demand, so let me know . Keep in mind im also a guard player so this isnt just my way of weakening the IG in my neighborhood :w00t:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Or my favourite, a vindicare assassin shooting the medic. Does he get to repair himself? I'd answer your question but i don't have a rule book here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

You cannot fail, what you do not try.
    If you do not get to take an armour save, then the medic won't work.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

You cannot fail, what you do not try.
    If you do not get to take an armour save, then the medic won't work.

Pity I dont have my books with me at the moment. I'm pretty sure that whenever a model loses a wound, it counts as a failed armour save, if that model would have been able to make a save or not.

This is really bugging me, i just cant remember where I read it.

Picture it this way - the squad has only a medic and a priest (no armour) remaining. It suffers two wounds from lasguns, both of which are assigned to the priest. The medic cannot save the priest? That just sounds wrong.

I am fairly certain that a medic can be used to save against all wounds lost (well, at a rate of 1 per turn), so long as its not instant death or a power weapon of some kind.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I will then be looking forward to a quote from the rulebook. But please also consider, why would it say first unsaved wound, and not just first wound.
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

It is pretty clear about when and how the medic can function. If you don't get a save, it doesn't work. Unfluffy, perhaps, but so are bionics saving you 1/6 times when they cover only a fraction of your body. Or grass deflecting 1/6 shots.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing that is explicitly mentioned in the ig codex as not working is instant death (double toughness) and power weapons in close combat.

A failed save is one that wasn't passed. If you don't get to make one because of ap then it wasn't passed i.e. a failed save. The ap of the weapon just makes you fail automatically. You’re twisting the meaning of words to fit your own definition.

I don't have my rulebook with at work but I'll be checking it tonight to get a better grasp on what exactly. I may be wrong, but your argument isn't compelling enough to sway me just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by JonU View Post
    A failed save is one that wasn't passed. If you don't get to make one because of ap then it wasn't passed i.e. a failed save. The ap of the weapon just makes you fail automatically. You’re twisting the meaning of words to fit your own definition.
    if you don't get the chance to make the save it is not failed automatically. you don't get one to begin with. There is a huge difference.

I don't have my rulebook with at work but I'll be checking it tonight to get a better grasp on what exactly. I may be wrong, but your argument isn't compelling enough to sway me just yet.
    Then check your rules under ap. That will solve that part of it for you. If you auto pass or auto fail, then you count as having rolled (which you don't actually do). If you don't get the chance to roll (as in ap being lower than armour save) then no save is ever made, you simply take a wound.
    My armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you really read the rules they do not state failed armour save roll, they call it a failed armour save. A wepon pentrating the armour doesn't allow any roll and therefore you cannot fail the armour save roll, but does the AP value make it a failed armoursave?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Destryphior View Post
    Well, if you really read the rules they do not state failed armour save roll, they call it a failed armour save. A wepon pentrating the armour doesn't allow any roll and therefore you cannot fail the armour save roll, but does the AP value make it a failed armoursave?
    p24, you remove models that don't get saves, THEN roll saves and remove the failed saves. So, if you don't get a save, it's not=failed save. Results are similar ofcourse, but two very different things.
    My armies:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast