Monolith Power Matrix and second WBB roll - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Monolith Power Matrix and second WBB roll

This situation arose during a recent game. The game was “Seek and Destroy, Omega Level” involving Necrons (me) vs allied Eldar/Dark Angels (henceforth a.k.a.The Alliance). Monolith was in Reserve as per Scenario Special Rule “Escalation”. Necrons went first in Turn One.

A successful round of shooting in Turn One from the Alliance resulted in a unit of Immortals suffering 6 casualties. Turn Two saw the beginning of Reserve Rolls being made by the Necrons, and this succeeded in bringing in the Monolith. WBB rolls were also made on the Immortals, with three standing up and three being unsuccessful. This is where the discussion began.

As the Monolith was now available from Reserve, the rules state that it must be brought into play immediately and it was Deep Striked close to the enemy lines to make best use of the Gauss Flux Arc. I suddenly remembered the Power Matrix rule which allows the Monolith to teleport a unit and to allow a second WBB roll on any models from that unit which failed their original roll. However, my opponent argued that because the Monolith had not been effectively “on the table” at the start of the Necrons’ second turn, I was unable to do this. He argued that the Monolith would have needed to be on the table at the end of the *previous* turn in order to be able to perform this Matrix trick.

I checked the rules for Reserves and for WBB and found that these are taken “at the start of the player’s turn”, not at the start of the Movement Phase. However, the teleport re-roll of the WBB is at the end of the Movement Phase. I also checked the rules for movement of units, and nowhere is it stated that movement is simultaneous for all units, unlike all firing models in a unit where all shooting is assumed to be simultaneous. So I understood this to indicate that the Monolith’s arrival from reserve via Deep Strike constituted its move in the Movement Phase, and that any other units could now move as and how I wished.

Another element I thought about was that once the Monolith had been successfully rolled for from Reserve, it was now just another unit of the Necron army which was “available to be moved” like all other units at the start of Turn Two. So there should be no reason why the Immortals could not use the Power Matrix rule for a second WBB attempt.

I believe my understanding is the correct one – once the Monolith had come from Reserve and was entered onto the field of play, its Power Matrix abilities could be used in whichever way was desired. However, my opponent disagreed.

Could some of the rules experts please settle this for me, preferably with page refs etc?

Thanks in advance.

E.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

If the 2nd attempt specifically takes place at the end of the movement phase, then a newly arrived monolith can give your troops a 2nd crack at WBB (since it arrived at the start of the movement phase).

Only when events happen "at the same time" can you not claim them. The problem with 40k is that there is technically a "start of turn" phase before anything moves or moves on from reserve - e.g. when certain eldar psychic powers are cast and necrons get the chance to get up again.

This "sort of" phase happens before movement. So only if the monolith provides a reroll to first roll immediately would it have to be on the table in the previous turn - but as you say, this is not the case.

Once a model has arrived on the table (which is after the "start of the turn" at the start of the movement phase) a model can do anything it would normally be able to do when moving/deep striking etc. While the actions of individual models within each unit are simultaneous, the actions of each unit in your army is sequential (You move one unit, then another etc.).

Hopefully that wasn't too long winded :ninja:

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Nope, not long-winded at all! (Strewth, my original post was terribly long! Total gas-bag!)

Thanks very much for your reply; it's great to have a confirmation and you've pointed out the main thing which I omitted in my post - the second chance WBB is at the end of the Movement Phase. That's the most important element, and I shall enlighten my friend about this. Not to gloat in any way, but purely because he is a nitty-gritty rule man like myself and he'll be genuinely interested.

E.

+ Reply to Thread