Psychic Powers and Turns - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psychic Powers and Turns

According to the 40k faq Q2:

Q. When a rule says “once per turn” (like in the case of
    master-crafted weapons, psychic powers, etc.), does
    this mean once per player turn or is it once per game
    turn?
    A. Always assume the word “turn” to mean “player turn”,
    unless the text specifies game turn. This is not true,
    however, of the “Organising a battle” section of the rule
    book, where the opposite is true (so in this section “turn”
    means “game turn”).

So this seems to indicate I can use a power like "Veil of Time" in my opponents turn if I think he's going to assault me. But can I use said power (which the codex states last until the end of the space marine players turn) and then use a force weapon when it goes back to my turn? It seems to indicate that I can, since I used each power in another "player turn".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Well, if the wording for VoT allows you to use it in an opponent's turn, then I can't see a problem with it. Like you said, you've used each power in a different "player turn".

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All it says is it is used at the start of the movement phase. And the faq clarifies what the rule book states: that powers can be used once a turn. Of course I would not be able to use a shooting power since I cannot normally shoot in my opponents turn but I see no problem with using veil in my opponents turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

No because while the SM powers are poorly written they do have a precedent set. Veil of time says you use it during the movement phase and it lasts until the end of the 'Space Marine" turn.. Whenever a codex says something like that it generally means "Your" in place of (Army Name). Also, Might of Heros specifically says "either players assault phase" and therefore since it is a psychic power and it was written to specify you *may* use it in your opponent's turn and since Veil of Time does not say that then you cannot

Both are written on the same page, to say that somehow the precendent set by Might of Heros should be ignored doesnt make much logical sense seeing how it is the ONLY power which says "Either players" phase

Also
    - If you were able to use it in your opponents turn then it would last until the end of your NEXT turn therefore allowing you to basically two powers in a single turn because the VoT from your opponents turn would still be active, thus allowing you to use say.. Might of Heros or something else
    - Take a closer look at *most* rules and you'll find that the vast majority never say "You may only do this on your turn".. They generally only list if you *can* do it during your opponents. If this were the case you could move eldar jetbikes or jetpacks 6" during any assault phase or do a multitude of other things that you can find out by reading other codexs. Unless it says you can do it during your opponens turn assume you cant

However, as you are most likely not playing in my gaming group.. Do whatever you want as long as you can convince your friends that your way is the right way
    Last edited by Kirasu; April 10th, 2007 at 21:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCage View Post
    All it says is it is used at the start of the movement phase. And the faq clarifies what the rule book states: that powers can be used once a turn. Of course I would not be able to use a shooting power since I cannot normally shoot in my opponents turn but I see no problem with using veil in my opponents turn.
    I have to agree with Kirasu on this one. If it doesn't specify that you may use it in your opponent's turn, then in all likelyhood you can't. Like he said, if a psychic power can be used during your opponent's turn, it generally specifies it.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks true from my reading too. The only SM powers usable in the enemy's turn are might of heroes and the force weapon instakill. Of course, dark angels can use force barrier, but thats a different army altogether.
    Another squad will almost always benefit you more than a few upgrades to all squads. Remember: Troops before Toys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya i had the same problem the other day. :yes:
    Trust and treatury maidenhead:Team Reddy:won: Tau

GT heat 1 54th 04/05 (3rd Ed) 1 pt off qual Tau

GT heat 3 53rd 06/07 vp off qual Tau

Open War 7 1st/54 WON! 3 soild victories: Farsight Tau

Mayhem 07 3rd best general: Farsight Tau

"Dice Gods never favour those who play mathammer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

Indeed, however you can use VoT in your turn and then your force weapon or MoH in their turn still...which is an upgrade over being able to only use one power per game turn.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

+ Reply to Thread