Dreadnaught Clarification - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnaught Clarification

First off, I'm a newb and I love this website. It's helped alot in clearing up confusing conundrums that are a pain to deal with. Second, my questions.

My friend has a dreadnaught and after reading through the forums I think I've got a grasp on how it works. Right now I know that it is a walker/vehicle and in being so it can be locked in CC. It's armor value in CC is always the front armor value. In order to score a hit on it your rolls have to be equal to or greater then its armor value by adding your roll to your model's S. Whether its a glancing hit or penetrating hit you look up the chart and roll those hits again to see what kind of damage is dealt. So far so good?

That's all fine and dandy, but then what happens when the dreadnaught is swamped with a whole bunch of termagaunts which can't possibly roll a D6+S >= 12? I read somewhere about when a dreadnaught is outnumbered then it is hit as well. It makes sense but how does it work?

Once again, awesome site.

Last edited by wollfman; April 23rd, 2007 at 03:28. Reason: greater, not less then :S

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

So far, you're completely on the money. G'job - Walkers can be confusing at first.

Quote Originally Posted by wollfman View Post
    That's all fine and dandy, but then what happens when the dreadnaught is swamped with a whole bunch of termagaunts which can't possibly roll a D6+S >= 12? I read somewhere about when a dreadnaught is outnumbered then it is hit as well. It makes sense but how does it work?
    Then the Termagants and Dread are locked in combat until either the Dread finally wins or something comes along to help out the Termagants. Even though they can never hurt the Walker, they'll continue to stay in combat until they either run away or are wiped out.

It can suck at times, but not always. In that specific scenario, your gaunts are providing a great service by tying up that Dread until something with Rending comes along to finish it off.

As for outnumbering, you're sort of right. But the Termagants would have to win combat first, which is impossible for them. Outnumbering only takes effect if you both outnumber the enemy by a certain amount (at least 2 to 1), and you've won the combat.

Quote Originally Posted by wollfman View Post
    Once again, awesome site.
    Thanks! We try. Glad you have you around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Plus, don't walkers count as 10 models for outnumbering purposes(I could be wrong...).
    If so he'll need at least 20+ models to outnumber you in the first place and one that can actually hurt you. Sounds pretty hard to do to me...
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So rending attacks hit the dreadnaught then? Would the model with rend just have to roll a six in order to penetrate the dreadnaught? Right now we have a space marine and a tyrannid army that we use, but so far the only thing that is strong enough to hurt to the dreadnaught is the carnifex. Once he's dead though it seems kinda unfair because the dreadnaught can't be hit by anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

Its perfectly fair.. Dont charge the dreadnaught then.

Rending vs vehicles is on the armor pen roll *not* the to hit roll.. They need to hit, then they need to roll a 6

Thats like saying that if a guy with a rifle shoots a tank and cant damage it then its unfair for the tank to shoot back.. Dont fight things you can destroy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Several good points have been brought up.

From the sounds of things, you have the rules down alright=)

As to the walker taking hits if outnumbered, caluin is correct. If you had warriors or raveners or a carni, or genestealers in CC with the dread along with the gaunts, and he killed a gaunt (or GS), and the GS caused 2 glances, the nids have won that round of combat.

Since Walkers with front armour over 11 count as 10 models in CC, you'd need a total of 20 GS/warrior wounds/carniewounds/gaunts combined to cause an extra glancing hit since the walker is fearless/suffers from "no retreat".

And yes, remember rending is on the armour pen roll for vehicles, not the to hit like troops.

Good luck to ya=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

+ Reply to Thread