Question about Assaults - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about Assaults

In the assault section of the rules, it says that after the CC happens, and after you calculate the morale, and (in this instance I want to ask about) when it is declared a draw, the assault continues next turn.

What I want to ask is exactly how the assault is carried out. Right now my understanding from the book is that...
    1. I assault.
    2. Both players roll and dish out wounds.
    3. Continues on the next player's turn during their assault phase.

Is this correct?

Also, a question about Piling In;
    Is it correct that you pile in at the end of your assault, even if you didn't initialize the assault?

AND

When moving 6" to pile in, does this mean in a straight line or by going around models? Such as in X vs Y below....
    (It is Y's Turn)
    X X X X
    Y Y Y Y
    Y Y

ASSAULT!!!!
    (Battle Sounds)

X X X X
    Y Y Y |
    Y Y!--

PILE IN!!!!

X X X X
    Y Y Y Y
    Y

Sorry for the many questions but I just started and want to make sure these basics are clear.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Hand to hand is done in both turns until someone loses and runs away or someone is crushed. That means you get to fight twice, once in your turn and once in your opponents turn. This makes assaulting very bloody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

1st question : Yeah, you've got it right.

2nd question (pile-in) : the pile-in moves are done under the same rules as the assault move (BGB p37). I advise you to read this part carefully, and maybe practice some different situations with your own models. The Assault move is a tricky part, in the heat of the game I often make silly mistakes, misplacing models with special weapons / abilities, or blocking other models (ICs!) / units therefore preventing them from assaulting / getting to the right target (sorry, this is more about tactics than rules...)

Welcome, and enjoy !

+ Reply to Thread