Equipment on your Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Equipment on your Models

Ok, I understand you have to show the equipment you get from your amoury on the characters that carry it.

But can I have equipment on my model that I don't use the effect of?

For example, I have a tactical SM squad, and I think my sergeant would look cool with my banner on him. However, I don't plan on giving him the Standard bearer or other unit traits.

So in essence, I'm just asking if I can ahve equipment shown on my model that I don't use or pay the point cost for?

I've got two tactical squads, an assault squad, a scout squad, a rhino, a Terminator Chaplain, and Lieutennant Varras to my name.

So I have a small name? Still mine.

"The only thing we have to fear is...fear itself."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

I would say you can since I have gone to tournies and no one said anything about my grandmaster having a banner on him, also my dreads have smoke on them but I dont always take it and again no one has said anything. Although Grandmaster cant get banners so if you can I would state that it is just for looks before you start any games just to clear it up.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Yes, you can model your figures any way you want, so long as you follow WYSIWYG in terms of the wargear you purchase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

90+% of tourneys folow the WYSIWYG school where it is a 1 way street-meaning anything you paid for MUST be modeled, but you don't have to pay for everything you have modeled (look at vehicles with smoke and searchlights as an easy example). Best thing to do is ask the organizers pre tourney.

Further, you may wish to go over your models with your opponent pregam so there is no confusion about the combi weapon that you aren't using=)
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I think it would be quite crazy to say the least. Modelling grenades on a model is one thing, buying and painting up a squad for if you don't need grenades on a model is another. As for smoke launcher... It's not like I would plan on buying a Predator with smoke launchers, one without, one with smoke launchers AND searchlight, one with only the searchlight.. and the options go on and on and on... but I wouldn't be surprised if GW would one time say... "that's the way we like it".. but then again, I don't know how strict GW is in tournies and has their say in this.. (yeah I do know tournies are commonly organised through GW)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoschrist View Post
    I think it would be quite crazy to say the least. Modelling grenades on a model is one thing, buying and painting up a squad for if you don't need grenades on a model is another. As for smoke launcher... It's not like I would plan on buying a Predator with smoke launchers, one without, one with smoke launchers AND searchlight, one with only the searchlight.. and the options go on and on and on... but I wouldn't be surprised if GW would one time say... "that's the way we like it".. but then again, I don't know how strict GW is in tournies and has their say in this.. (yeah I do know tournies are commonly organised through GW)
    I agree. Sometimes it just doesnt logistically or financially make sense to have models catered to every piece of wargear you might use.
    Primary Army:
    Space Marines -- Black Templars -- 2300pts

Secondary Army:
    Imperial Guard -- Steel Legion -- 1800pts

Senior Member DominionWeaponsGroup's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -66 (x0)

If your really concerned about the legality of the models, magnetizing bits that you might or might not use is a good solution.
    Take life seriously, its lethal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by tarzen View Post
    90+% of tourneys folow the WYSIWYG school where it is a 1 way street-meaning anything you paid for MUST be modeled, but you don't have to pay for everything you have modeled (look at vehicles with smoke and searchlights as an easy example). Best thing to do is ask the organizers pre tourney.

Further, you may wish to go over your models with your opponent pregam so there is no confusion about the combi weapon that you aren't using=)
    Hi,
    I thought all this went down in a recent post on Powerfists where someone wanted to use the powerfist as a close combat weapon only and thereby saving points cost. I was voted out by people saying that if the fist is modelled then you have to pay for it and now it seems the wind has changed. What has happened here?
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I would say in summary that can be explained by the general response to "cool modelling idea" (personal heraldry for squad leaders) being positive vs the general response to "deceiving your opponent" (placing a threatening looking squad on the board and letting him respond to its presence without actually buying the modeled upgrades) being negative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

See, I'm not so sure about this. If something is modeled, it probably be paid for... weapons especially.

"Why are you removing your lascannon model from your unit?"
    "What? Oh, no - this is just a bolter marine. I didn't have the points to pay for his lascannon."
    "...... I never would've shot at that unit since it can't hurt my vehicles. Duh."

Consistency is the main thing. People need to be able to expect what's coming when they see your models. Back banners are fine. As long as you don't have 3 guys with back banners, and one of them you're counting as the Company Banner - but it's the same size/shape/model-type as the other 2.

If you have gear modeled on that you're not using to try out different configs, then a simple disclaimer at the beginning of the fight usually suffices.
    "My chaplain doesn't really have a power fist, I just like this model."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast