Imperial Guard - Independent Commissar Doctrine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Imperial Guard - Independent Commissar Doctrine

When the Independent Commissar doctrine is taken, do commis become Independent Characters, and therefore be able to single-out in a close combat? The text says 'act as' independent character, but nowhere it says it 'becomes' one.

I'd like to hear other people's opinion on this :x

Anima Tactics - try it out!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

I would say 'acts as' is functionally the same as 'uses all the rules for' with the exception of any IC rules altered by that specific entry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

The FAQ mentions that the Independant Commisar can be attached to a unit, which would support the idea that he shares all of the IC rules.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

He is an independant character.

But lets look at it from the point of view of victory points.

When a commissar (normal) is made part of a command squad etc... he adds to the total points value of that unit. If half that unit is wiped out, then half of the commissar's vp's add to the total vp's gained by your opponent, regardless of wether the overzealous pistol weilder is wounded or not.

If an 'independant' commissar joins a squad, and half that squad is wiped out by the end of a battle, do you still get half the commissar's VP's as well as that of the squad?

I think you would find the answer to be no. You would only get half the commissar's VP's if you actually take a wound off the commissar himself.

Thus, he is treated as a seperate unit. So whether or not he actually is an independant character, you would still be able to single him out in hth regardless. Which is how you handle combat with an independant character anyway. This also means that he only gets his attacks when he is in btb with the enemy.

(This is why you should not bother giving an independant commissar a powerweapon/fist when you plan on throwing him into a massive conscript squad, as the only way he will get to use it is if he is in the front line of the combat. A savvy opponent would then kill him before he can do anything, and voila, your conscripts are now much less usefull).

P.S I hope this actually made sense, and that I didn't make too many circular arguments, if any - My chances of this are slim, judging by my tiredness and the strange mist around the peripherals of my vision. I think i'll go to bed early tonight.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

+ Reply to Thread