Terrain Standard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrain Standard

It seems that 25% of the game table should be covered with terrain, well at least this I what I understand of the rules. I don't have the rule book yet but do different missions require different amounts of terrain?

The reason I ask is because when I played this evening the 6x4 table seemed to be filled with different terrain pieces. From what I understand with setting up terrain you fill up a whole corner of the table with terrain features to make sure you have 25% terrain then distribute it across the table.

Using this method, in the game we play tonight, we could have easily filled half the table to amost 2/3s. It seem to favor the guy who set up the table(he played tyranids).

Is the 25% terrain a standard or is it not?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

25% is the suggestion in the rulebook for a fair and fun table that's easy to play on, yes. Every group has their own idea of what the 'standard' is, and there's no hard and fast rule.

If you find people setting up tables to heavily favor their list, fill up a corner then take turns arranging pieces until all peices are placed.

and get a rulebook! =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

AH man, i hate nid players that don't play fair and you are right to raise this question.
    the point you raised is correct. Kick that nid player for cheating, whats the point in playing
    if he's gonna cheat from before you even have your first turn.
    We had a nid player that done this too, before we used to just set up terrian as we saw fit.
    So eventually we got fed up and introduced house rule for 25% of the table, basically you pack the terrain in tightly into this corner, don't pile the terrain on top of each other.
    make sure its packed tightly and theres enough different sizes and types.

The general rule is 25% of the table. this topic reminds me this player also used to measure from claw to base due to the stupid way the models are, it's hard to place nids base to base which i do understand, so we got him to place his nids back to front so he couldn't cheat on measuring charges and getting into HTH. hope this helps.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

If he set up the terrain unfairly that sucks and all, but you had the right to agree to it or disagree to it before the game started. Kick him for cheating, but next time don't agree to terrain you don't like or take turns placing it.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Or just accept that this was one of the occassions where the terrain favoured one of the parts. Don't look at it competative but more as a narrative thing.
    Next game you play with him could be when your army has leaned to keep out from the dense areas of the planet, maybe cleared out a "safezone", then let him attack you there.

I understand that fighting Nids in the environment you described can be a veryclaustrophobic experience, but since it has already happened - look at it from the bright side - it's like Aliens II and that is one of the best movies ever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I think I'll challenge him next time. The funny thing is, the reason I didn't this time, is because we were on the same team! But still he is basicly the host and I am totally new to the scene so I don't want to trouble the waters just yet! The last 2 weeks i've come it's been pretty much the same set up. Either they are running some campain and were nice enough to let a noob in, or they the guy just likes a certain set up. Either way i'll push the subject more so next week.

When came in after he had already set up the terrain I stood next to him at the table and said "Wow that's a lot of terrain" and he looked at it and said "not really". They had 2 other games going at the same time. Maybe next week I'll just play with another group.

One group was playing a city fight on 4x4 and that looked like a perfect 25% placement spread out randomly across the table. I wanted to play with them because the game just looked super fun!

I'm not going to accuse him of cheating because I being a new guy and a noobie in general don't know all the factors in play just yet.

I really want to play a 400pts combat patrol/city fight on a 4x4 table!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by brotherCaptain View Post
    The last 2 weeks i've come it's been pretty much the same set up.

I find it very odd that anyone would use the same terrain setup more than once or twice. It's an unfair advantage to the guy who has played that terrain before as he already has the tactics he needs to use in mind. He already knows what works on that terrain and what doesn't. That strikes me as unfair and not very fun, not to mention the fact that it suggests that this guy is not a very good player if he can't adapt to new battlefield environments.

My group never ever ever uses the same terrain setup twice and most times we take turns placing terrain. It makes for some very interesting battles that are never the same twice.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

135 (x4)

Hmmm, well a terrain setup like that definitely favors an assaulty list, but "Kick him for cheating"? What he's doing might be poor sportsmanship (note, might be) but he's not breaking any rules. The 25% is just a guideline anyways, and not a hard-line rule. If you don't like that much terrain, just ask him if you could play with less terrain next time for a little variety =).

But as others have mentioned there are other reasons why there might be a whole lot of terrain. Everything from narrative theme, to pure gaming variety. It can also be a good way to balance out different lists. Certain lists (like GK-heavy DH lists, for instance) can do horrible things to swarm-based armies. Adding in more terrain to 'handicap' the superior list could be a very valid way to play. Obviously this would be a little different if he won every single game, and never varied the amount of terrain, but you get the picture =).

In short: don't jump all over the guy and call him a cheater just because he plays with a slightly different convention than you do =).

Meh, my two cents, anyways.

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by brotherCaptain View Post
    One group was playing a city fight on 4x4 and that looked like a perfect 25% placement spread out randomly across the table. I wanted to play with them because the game just looked super fun!

I'm not going to accuse him of cheating because I being a new guy and a noobie in general don't know all the factors in play just yet.

I really want to play a 400pts combat patrol/city fight on a 4x4 table!
    If you're playing by strict Cities of Death (aka cityfight) rules there are very specific rules for laying out terrain. You pick the number of terrain pieces depending on the level of the mission (alpha, gamma, etc.) and then you take turn putting the terrain down. The terrain can only be between x and y inches from another piece. There's several other rules, but I think you get the point.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

+ Reply to Thread