Assaulting around a corner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assaulting around a corner

I played some one the other day that wanted to assault me from around a corner of a building. I always thought you had to have LOS to the unit you wish to assault. Am I wrong?

That brings up another question. What about assaulting around a skimmer? you still have LOS but you can't assault in a straight line because you can't go under it only around it.

I need someone to straighten me out, I play Tau so you can see why I don't assault to often.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

To answer your first question: no, you can assault around a corner. You don't need any form of LOS to do so. Page 36 of the BGB clearly states that one can declare a charge on any unit he thinks is within charge range.

To answer your second question: you have to go around the skimmer to assault. This makes the "Fish of Fury" tactic so effective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

So, I looked up the charges in the book. Its pg 36 and 37 in the mini rule book(battle for macrgge(sp?)
    It says nothing about LOS for declaring charges. In fact, the first paragraph of the Declare Charges section states "a player can declare a charge with any of his units that he believes are within assault range .... ." ... end of paragraph "avoiding obstructions such as impassable terrain, or other enemy units they do not wish to contact) (Copyright Games workshop Ltd 2004). So, no LOS is required, if I'm reading this correctly.

So assaulting around a skimmer: as long as you have the movement to get around that skimmer keeping out of 1''(usually not, even WITH a 12'' charge range) you can certainly charge around a skimmer.

It doesn't state that you have to go in a straight line: it states that you move your models using the least amount of distance(usually in most cases a straight line) BUT it makes allowances for going around obstacles INCLUDING other models.

Hope this helps Ostego.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I don't have my rulebook on me, but I'm pretty sure the book says that an assult is started by the closest model engaging the closes model IN A STRIGHT LINE. So no, you cannot declare a charge around a corner, but not because of LOS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjin View Post
    I don't have my rulebook on me, but I'm pretty sure the book says that an assult is started by the closest model engaging the closes model IN A STRIGHT LINE. So no, you cannot declare a charge around a corner, but not because of LOS.
    pg 37 paragraph 2, 2nd, 3rd sentences on.
    Nope, it doesn't specify a straight line. It states "by using the least amount of its available movement"

I can't find a reference to "a straight line" .
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Los

The way I read it, you do not need LOS to charge. Perhaps the confusion is coming from getting some warhammer rules mixed up with 40k.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Correct - only Warhammer Fantasy requires LOS to charge, 40k does not.

As to the straight line or not, yes and no.... If a valid straight-line path exists to your target, you must take it. But if one does not exist, you can go around whatever impassible obstruction is in your way.

The BGB states that you must rush your target in the shortest distance possible, which will be in a direct line unless something else is in the way that you cannot approach (such as another enemy model you are *not* assaulting). It is worded this way so that you do not have the option of running around the corner of the building / cover / whatever and must rush straight forward taking the difficult terrain test.

If that corner is impassible terrain, though, it is perfectly legal to charge someone on the other side that you couldn't see by moving around it (as long as the target is still in the unit's charge distance measuring the path taken).

+ Reply to Thread