How Much Has Changed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Much Has Changed?

I havent played for a LONG time and with VASSAL i can at least enjoy the playing apsect of Warhammer 40k. But i noticed a new edition of the rulebook has come out and that they are changing the armies a little (been waiting for a Dark Eldar update for a long time). Anyway, do i need to spend the money to buy the new rulebook? Just how much has changed and will i be able to play a game with my 4th edition rulebook without trouble?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, a 4th edition rulebook is our current rule book.
    5th edition is a LONG way off (chaos, orks, space wolves, redundant SM update, Dark Eldar, Necrons, Witch Hunters, Daemon Hunters, Apocalypse, etc.) come before the next update.

So if you have 4th ed. rulebook you should be fine.

A little has changed, I think, from 3rd. to 4th. Not big changes, just streamlining mostly, and close combats a little. I'm not the expert though. So ignore this last paragraph.

--LittleBlueMan
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... sorry. Think i meant to say that i had the 3rd edition rulebook. So not much has changed then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, there were a few rule changes, definately enough to warrant buying the new rulebook, but overall it is still the same game.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Yes. Buy the rulebook. There's no excuse not to if you want to play the game - everyone else will have the 4th Edition rulebook and if you try to do things that are illegal (by 4th Edition standards, not necessarily 3rd Edition) then people will refuse to play you, even though you technically are playing by the rules.

If you don't want to spend all of that money on the full rulebook, find a buddy or two who collect Space Marines or Tyranids and buy the Battle for Macragge boxed set. You get models for both of those armies as well as a smaller version of the rulebook - all of the rules are there, they just got rid of the painting/fluff aspects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -32 (x0)

You need to have a 4th Edition rulebook. A TON has changed, GW cleared up a lot of unanswered questions but with a game this complex there will always be questions.

As for the Dark Eldar update...I wouldn't count on much. Honestly, I believe GW hates Dark Eldar. Think about it, they recently created Tau and they have a new codex, Space Marines now have separate codices for the main chapters, and Eldar has a whole new range of models.

Dark Eldar had one codex REVISION. The codex was exactly the same except they made the points cost and model rules what they should have been in the first place. (Wyches without a 4+ Invulnerable save in combat=yuck) I say all of this because I've been playing Dark Eldar for 3 years now and have seen little effort on GW's part to revamp them. They've updated and created at least 6 armies but haven't done a thing to Dark Eldar.

For all intensive purposes, Dark Eldar are extinct. Apparently, GW doesn't feel the need to raise any interest in them. There are very few Dark Eldar players, I've only seen one throughout all the battles I've played. The least Games Workshop could do is give us a new codex...I mean jeez, is that really asking for too much?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Empowered View Post
    For all intensive purposes, Dark Eldar are extinct. Apparently, GW doesn't feel the need to raise any interest in them. There are very few Dark Eldar players, I've only seen one throughout all the battles I've played. The least Games Workshop could do is give us a new codex...I mean jeez, is that really asking for too much?
    I have a Chaos Dwarf army for warhammer, and it has been 13 years and three editions since our last army book. GW throws you the odd tidbit, but you're forced to wait for a very long time.

I don't think Dark Eldar are dead yet. I think GW just doesn't know what to do with them. Some of their units are fantastic, while others are utter rubbish - and there's no middle ground. It would surprise me if they've thrown out a lot of the stuff in the old codex that seems wrong (e.g. Hellions, ravagers, grotesques) and started the army from the ground up.

The quality of the revamp for Craftworld Eldar gives the DE hope. That took the rubbish units and made them competitive with the "default" units of the previous book. Whenever DE do get released, I think it will be worth the wait.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    and welcome back. If you have any specific Dark Eldar questions I would urge you to visit the DE forum but please don't ask that irritating question "Are they being discontinued?"
    It is as Rork said, an army in search of newer rules to make them mesh a bit better with the 4th Edition Rule set and having said that please witness the fact that I only play DE!
    I am not sure if you are stating if you have the 4th Edition Rules Book or not but yes you will definately need one to navigate the myriad rules in the game and its money well spent.
    If you have not played for a long time then much has changed to streamline the game. If you have the time then I advise you to look at one of the current threads here in the rules forum, view the question and then try to answer it yourself with no help from the Pros - thats how I get my best understanding for all those curly questions that might arise in a game.
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Also, the 4th edition hardback rulebook is very nice, lots of nice artwork and fluff, rules for killteam, combat patrol etc.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread