Homebrew Tyranid Data Sheet (For Review) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

Homebrew Tyranid Data Sheet (For Review)

Seeds of Despair

Sergeant Vortis gazed up at the spore-choked sky. The gleaming azure skies long since given way to the sickly purple miasma that seemed to swirl above. The bastion had held, by the God-Emperor had it held. A living tide of tyranid creatures had poured wave upon wave against the walls, and had been repulsed at every turn.
    As he gazed into the blackened clouds, he noticed that the seemed to split, revealing large bulbous sacs that drifted in the wind. The were huge, nearly as large as the legendary phantine drogue dirigibles.
    With a low wet roar, the sacs shredded themselves, spilling hundreds of spore mines into the air.
    The spores drifted lazily down, the anti-air emplacements sending torrents of rippling fire across the drifting tide. But they could kill enough. The spores kept falling into the courtyard like a hellish rain before detonating; shards of chitin shrapnel, and corrosive jets of bio acid, scouring the defenders from the inner compound.

Points 90 + Models

1+ Meiotic Spores
    3+ Spore Mine Clusters

Special Rules:

Spore Mine Clusters have the 'without number' biomorph. (see Tyranid Codex)

+++++

What do you think?

Is it viable?

Should I tweak the points a bit?

I look forward to your opinions

Respectfully,
    --The Forsaken

Formation

* "I'm Significant!" -screamed the dust speck
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

Hmmm... So 90 extra points to have clusters the whole game? Interesting. I would at least round up the extra points to an even 100. Maybe even throw in some kinda funky restriction, like having to land within a certain range of a Synapse creature; say 36-48". This should make it more interesting to use, and makes sure your opponents don't think you're just trying to get free spore mines.

Spiffy idea. I'd like to hear what ya think of my proposed adjustments.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Ok, rounding it up doesn't seem like a big deal.

I was looking at the endless swarm datasheet in the apocalypse book as a template.

Maybe I should require 6+ spore mine clusters (I figured that might make it too crowded)

I like your idea about synapse, since they would be directing the spore-balloons.

I might limit them so that they would all have to be the same type. All Toxin, frag, or bio-acid, and adjust the points accordingly. Or, just say that they can only ever be one kind. Frag for example.

Thanks for your input.

Respectfully,
    --The Forsaken
    * "Call me old fashioned, but an evil ascension to power just isn't the same without someone chanting faux Latin in the background."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Limiting all the mines in the formation to the same type does balance it out a bit more, also for minimum I think you should with with 6+ sporeclusters, it's not like it's hard for people to get plenty of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x1)

Ok,

So the following changes then:

6+ spore clusters
    -Must all be the same type of spore (toxin, frag, or bio-acid)

Must arrive within 36" of a synapse creature.

Anything else?

Very Respectfully,
    --Forsaken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of having synapse creatures work much like teleport homers or icons. If the cluster comes in close enough to a designated synapse creature, they do not scatter. that would be pretty sweet to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting idea!

So, are you using the deepstrike rules for these clusters? If so considering this is your own data sheet you might want to consider altering this a bit to give the mines a larger spread. (I am assuming the mines are not supposed to fall in perfect clusters of 6 like deepstriking would cause?)

You could run it like deepstriking, but then scatter mines in the cluster from the ranging mine?

Also since these are homecooked rules I think it would be fun to create a "Spore Master" type of model. That increases the chances of player controlled drift along with detonation. (So, basically a spore synapse creature). I'd imagine a 36" range would make this model work. I don't know how many points it would be though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

I think the idea is great, but will need quite a lot of play testing to get the points right.

Normally units with Endless Swarm are coming back into play from their base line. The idea of Deep Striking units that get to come back throughout a game, is very powerful.

Also, I think that the idea will annoy some opponents. Dealing with spores tend to be open to disupte, mainly the the continual use of Scatter dice, and specicially Scatter direction. So take have multiple units of Spores on a continual basis might cause some trouble.

I'll have a go when I can, and try and feedback to you, though I don't play Nid Apocalypse that much at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread