IG apoc datasheet - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG apoc datasheet (Area Denial Teams)

The mortar teams of a regiment are often formed into large Area Denial Groups.
    These groups work alongside spotters to saturate any given area with a lethal hail of mortar rounds.
    Once one of the spotter teams have a line of sight to the target area they feed this information to the Area Denial Groups, the group then fire several bursts of mortars at the target area.
    The Area Denial Group consists of several teams of six mortars each, and also several spotter teams. Each of these teams may select a different target that is within line of sight of one of the spotter teams.

Spotter Team:
    ---------------------Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    Forward Spotter 11 pts 3 ...5 ..3 3 1 .3 1 7 6+
    Squad Size : 2-5 Spotters

Spotter Wargear :
    Infiltrators
    Hellpistol and close combat weapon (combat knives etc.)
    Voxcasters
    Cameleoline

Options: One model may upgrade his hellpistol to a sniper rifle at +5 pts

Mortar Team:
    ---------------------Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    Mortar crewman 200 ....3 ...3 .3 3 1 3 1 7 ..5+

Squad Size:
    6 mortars (with guardsmen to fire them)
    6 Loaders (normal guardsmen)

Wargear:
    Voxcasters (may use leadership of officer with voxcaster)

Special Rule:
    Pinpoint Accuracy - Scatter is reduced by the BS of the spotter team.

“The experience and keen eyes of the forward observers enable them to feed highly accurate coordinates to their mortar teams. The end result being that the mortars strike their targets with unerring accuracy.”

Special Ammunition – Each team may opt to fire either of these ammunition types.

Explosive/Incendiary – Barrage 48” STR – 4 AP – 5 Heavy1, Small Blast – Ignores Cover
    Shaped Charge – Barrage 48” STR – 3 AP – 3 Heavy 1, 2d6 Armor Penetration
    High Explosive - Barrage 48” STR – 5 AP – 6 Heavy 1, small blast

Point Cost – 50 Pts + teams

Unit composition:
    1+ Spotter teams
    1+ mortar teams

Any feedback would be helpful, not sure when I'll get a chance to playtest it.
    Especially feedback on the pts cost of both spotters and teams would be great.

Cheers

Last edited by Valthonis; November 6th, 2008 at 16:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

the incendiary blast seems too powerful considering a standard round is s4 ap6
    this my opinion on eat the round should be:

Mortar Round--Barrage 48" STR-4 AP--6 Heavy 1, small blast
    Explosive/Incendiary – Barrage 48” STR – 3 AP – 5 Heavy1, Small Blast – Ignores Cover

Shaped Charge – Barrage 36” STR – 4 AP – 3 Heavy 1, small blast, 2d6 Armor Penetration, "gets hot"
    High Explosive - Barrage 36” STR – 5 AP – Heavy 1, small blast

I figured the shaped charge will use the unstable flux core found in vengence rounds to give more penetration power but it also makes it very dangerous to use and gives it a shorter range as any longer and the shell may blow up in the air with no effect. I think it should be AP4 instead as even the griffon heavy mortar is only AP4, but I assumed you wanted something to kill marines.

Also the reduced range of the high explosives round is to account for the increased weight of the round.

The reduced strength of the incendiary but higher ap and no ap on the high explosives makes choosing which ammo a harder choice, making the normal mortar round at least an option between all the different ammunitions.
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Special Ammunition – Each team may opt to fire either of these ammunition types.
    Explosive/Incendiary – Barrage 48” STR – 3 AP – 5 Heavy1, Small Blast – Ignores Cover
    Shaped Charge – Barrage 48” STR – 2 AP – 4 Heavy 1, small blast 2d6 Armor Penetration
    High Explosive - Barrage 48” STR – 5 AP – Heavy 1, small blast
    “The teams replace their normal mortar rounds with three types of special ammunitions. These special rounds enable the mortar teams to engage several different targets with some degree of effectiveness”

The shaped charge is supposed to be equalient to shaped charges used today

"This round was made of a cone of explosive (the hollow, or shaped, charge) lined with metal. When the warhead struck its target, the explosive would detonate and its cone shape would focus the energy of the explosion driving its now molten metal lining through the armour in a tight stream"

As you see, its quite safe to use , so I dropped the gets hot, and lowered the AP and strength (it was never meant to be an anti marine weapon, but rather a semi reliable anti light vehicle round, but my head was stuck in "melta" mode), The round now gives between 4 and 14 when striking a vehicle. This is a large gap, and will often fail to penetrate even AV 10 vehicles, but now consider that there are six mortars per team shooting at the same target, and with the spotters they will scatter between 0 and 7 inches, even if the scatter is 7", you are almost guaranteed to walk at least one round back to your target and get a hit. Thus I felt that a high strenth like 4+ would be overpowered (giving a range of 6-16. 7-18 and so on). Its a mortar after all, not a land raider killer. The armys primary anti tank will still be the humble guardsman with melta, or lascannon. Also I made it small blast (as you suggested).

I also dropped the AP for the High explosive round, but retained the range. Logic being that they simply changed the payload to something that gives a bigger bang, but lacks any penetrating power. (also I would personally never use a mortar with 36" range, the incindiary would always win out, even with 2pts lower strength)

I also took your advice and lowered the strength for the incindiary round, I played around with making it strength 2, but that would make it near useless against anyting but swarms.

When I get around to writing my fluff, my army's new ideas and unorthodox tactics and units will make a little more sense (yes I wrote this sheet primarily for my own army)

Thanks for the advice so far

Valthonis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

It seems pretty good but doesn't quite fit in the ever rigid organisation structure of the Imperial Guard.

How about changing it to

1 spotter team (1 JO and 4 Vet Guard with BS 4) - 55 points
    any model may take a sniper rifle instead of lasgun for 5 points each
    JO has access to Wargear
    One Guardsman carries a vox caster

2-5 Mortar Teams - 105 points each
    3 Mortar Teams in each squad (total 6 men), one man carries a vox caster.
    Each Mortar team must declare the type of ammo used before firing each turn.
    If the target is within LoS of the Spotter team, then the Spotters BS of 4 is used to reduce scatter.

Mortar Teams must remain with 12" of each other to use special rounds and use the Spotters BS.
    Spotter team may be anywhere on the board
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, my fluff is built around the fact that its a whole army/regiment that got sick of the thankless job of figthing for the imperium. And broke of forming an entire mercenary army working for almost anyone for the right pay

(they are not heretics or chaos worshippers though ).

They keep an open mind towards some alien races (tau and eldar), but old doctrines die hard, and they rarely trust them. They do however trade technology freely with the tau, their engineers and tech priests working hard to create hybrid vehicles and equipment. Thus, much of the strict IG army composition is often lacking, and they may be seen fielding elite troops with pulse rifles.

The fluff is just a rough scetch, not even in any writen form, its all churning around in my head at the moment.

But I see the practical use for an overall command unit within this formation, and so I have rewritten it a little.

The mortar teams of a regiment are often formed into a Large Area Denial Group.
    The Area Denial Group consists of a special command squad, overseeing several teams of six mortars each, and also several spotter teams. Each of these teams may select a different target that is within line of sight of one of the spotter teams.

Once one of the spotter teams have a line of sight to the target area they feed this information to the command squad, who then feeds the targeting data to their mortar teams, the mortar teams then fire several bursts of mortars at the target area.

Command Squad:

Point Cost: 75pts + upgrades

1 Bombardment Overseer (junior officer)
    1 Guardsman with master vox
    2 Veteran Guardsmen with medipacks
    1 Guardsman with Meltagun

Options:
    The officer has access to the imperial guard armory

“The soldiers that form the spotter teams are specially trained; they forgo training in close combat to hone their marksman skills. Being expert rangefinders they are able to calculate the range to a target and lock in their co-ordinates in mere seconds. Feeding this information to their command squad, who then sends the targeting information to the mortar teams. Often operating near the front or even behind enemy lines they are issued special camouflage to enable them to hide from the enemy while finding targets”

Spotter Team:
    ..........................Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    Forward Spotter 11 pts 1 ....5 .3 3 1 3 1 7 5+

Squad Size: 2-5 Spotters

Spotter Wargear :
    Infiltrators
    Hellpistol and close combat weapon (combat knives etc.)
    One model carries a voxcaster
    Cameleoline

Options: One model may upgrade his hellpistol to a sniper rifle at +5 pts

Mortar Team:

..........................Points WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
    Mortar crewman 200 ....3 ..3 ..3 3 1 3 1 7 ..5+

Squad Size: Six Mortar Teams

Wargear:
    One model carries a Voxcaster

Special Rules:

Pinpoint Accuracy:
    “The experience and keen eyes of the forward observers enable them to feed highly accurate coordinates to their mortar teams. The end result being that the mortars strike their targets with unerring accuracy.”

If the target is within line of sight of a spotter team the scatter is reduced by the BS of the spotter team.

Special Ammunition:
    “The teams replace their normal mortar rounds with three types of special ammunitions. These special rounds enable the mortar teams to engage several different targets with some degree of effectiveness”

Each team may opt to fire either of these ammunition types. Each team must declare the type of ammo used before firing.

Shaped Charge – Barrage 48” STR – 2 AP – 4 Heavy 1, small blast 2d6 Armor Penetration

High Explosive - Barrage 48” STR – 5 AP – Heavy 1, small blast

Point Cost – 50 Pts + teams
    Unit composition:
    1 Command Squad
    1+ Spotter teams
    1+ mortar teams

I think this formation is nearing its completed form. And I will try my best to playtest it as soon as possible.

Still, any further suggestions and comments would be great

Cheers

Valthonis
    Last edited by Valthonis; November 7th, 2008 at 21:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also another idea I've been toying with, take a normal baneblade, with all options, and mount two hammerhead railguns on it. Alternatively I have been thinking about the Tau Ion Cannon...

The are placed on top of the side's all the way to the front (fixed placement) and so only have a 45* angle of fire. Also they only hit on 4's

This unit is going to be the command tank for my army. And will be built in with the fluff (as mentioned above, my army trades freely with the tau).

But one thing im finding a challenge is "What is the thing going to cost?" (in points)

the baneblade is 5XX pts vanilla + options . the railguns are 5X pts a pop, on a skimmer with a BS of 4. one more than the blade. so would 100 pts be enough for 2Xrailguns?

or should it be 200? I think that might be stretching it a bit, but then again better its to expensive than to cheap.

This baneblade (with all weapons upgrades) would then have

1 X Baneblade Cannon (turret mounted)
    1 X Autocannon (Co-Axial to the Baneblade Cannon)
    5 X Twin Linked Heavy Bolters
    4 X Lascannons
    1 X Demolisher Cannon
    2 X Tau Railguns

So, what would you take on your baneblade? railguns, or ion cannons?

And what cost would you say is fair for each of the two?

Cheers

EDIT:

It might just be because ive been building 40k all night (and thus glued alot) but I made a hurried conversion of one of my baneblades. Mounting two railguns, with an Ioncannon on top of each. Both the railguns and ion cannons are forward mounted. and cover only a 45* firing arc (as per fixed guns). The main turret can still rotate, and the heavy bolter can "see" just beneath the railguns on either side.

As for the point cost, i figure about 750 + normal options would do it?

As it is the command tank in my army I figure that the Commissariat crew would fit, only that its not a commissar but rather my main officer (using the rules for the commissariat crew)

(not a special character, just a HSO, but im playing around with some character building for him as well).

As the model stands it has the following

1 X Baneblade cannon
    1 X Autocannon (co-ax)
    2 X Lascannons
    3 X Heavy Bolters
    1 X Demolisher Cannon
    2 X Tau Railguns
    2 X Ioncannons

thats 250 pts for 2 railguns+2ion's . resonable right?

In my own personal opinion, it looks downright mean.. Now if only I could get someone who can actually shoot into that thing, so all those nasty weapons can actually HIT something...

well anyways, I need to sleep, starting to get a headache from that damned plastic glue...

Cheers
    Last edited by Valthonis; November 9th, 2008 at 01:46.

+ Reply to Thread