WIP Space Marine Traits Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

WIP Space Marine Traits Tactica

Tactica: Space Marine Traits
    by Tekore
    with contributions from

I’ve noticed quite a few posts in my time here that ask about the different Space Marine traits advantages (we’ll shorthand this as just “traits”), how traits work, the benefits of each one, and how they work together. I’ve put together this tactica to try and provide, in a small way, answers to these questions for beginners. Hopefully, this will serve to make creating a beginner DIY (do it yourself) chapter easier and more fun for the new player.

I am happy to add contributions from other LO members to this tactica, and will do this quickly. Please send me a PM with your contribution, and I will gladly add it to the tactica in the appropriate spot, crediting you for the contribution. I am by no means a great thinker when it comes to 40K, and would love to have more informed feedback to help with this thread and make it as beneficial as possible.

Throughout this tactica, we’ll use my brand spankin’ new DIY Chapter, the Sugar Flakes Tigers. I don’t really have this DIY chapter, much to my chagrin, but bear in mind that the are grreeeeat.

Finally, while this tactica is my creation, feel free to use it and repost it as you wish. Please give me the proper credit if you are able.

I. General Questions

1. How do I take traits?

A DIY Chapter; that is, a chapter that the player has created, can take up to two different traits, and they can come from any of the trait boxes found on page 43 of the Space Marine (SM) codex. Each trait box contains three traits. Each trait will change and benefit your chapter’s abilities, whether in army setup or on the field, providing a divergence from the standard Space Marine Chapter.

2. What’s the downside?

Taking traits requires taking drawbacks as well. Drawbacks are found on pages 44-45 of the Space Marine Codex. There are major and minor drawbacks, and depending on how many traits you take and which trait boxes you take them from, you may have to take varying levels of drawbacks. If you only take one trait, then you must take one minor drawback. For two traits out of only one trait box, one major drawback must be selected. For two traits out of different trait boxes, an army must select one major drawback and one minor drawback.

Example: The Sugar Flakes Tigers’ Chapter Master, Antonio, is deciding how best to focus his Chapter’s training, and so is deciding which traits he wants to develop. If he takes only “See, but Do Not Be Seen” out of the “Sombre” trait box, then he will have to choose one minor disadvantage. If he chooses “See, but Do Not Be Seen” and “Cleanse and Purify” out of the “Sombre” trait box, he will have to choose one major disadvantage. If he chooses “See, but Do Not Be Seen” out of the “Sombre” trait box and “No Mercy, No Respite” out of the “Fierce” trait box, then he will have to choose a major disadvantage and a minor disadvantage.

3. Do the Titles on the Trait Boxes (Sombre, Wise, etc.) Mean Anything?

No. Unless you’re trying to make a chapter fit in with the story that you’ve created for it, and feel that you must take traits out of the trait boxes that best describe your chapter, there’s no reason to worry about the adjectives on the trait boxes.

4. Can any Chapter take traits?

No. There are three main categories of Chapters that cannot take traits. First, chapters with the own codices cannot take traits. Currently, these Chapters are Blood Angels, Black Templar, Dark Angels, and Space Wolves. Secondly, some other named chapters have their traits already chosen in the Space Marine Codex. These are the Blood Ravens, Crimson Fists, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Raven Guard, Salamanders, and White Scars. Finally, if inducted into Inquisitorial forces, Space Marine chapters must be without traits.

II. Trait Analysis

This section will use the following format to talk about traits.

Name of Trait: Here, the name of each trait will be listed. Complicated, eh?

Benefits: This will list what taking each trait will allow you to change in your army.

Found Under: This will list the trait box(es) that the trait is found under.

Can Be Found in the Same Box(es) as: A list of the additional traits found in this trait’s trait box(es).

Is Not Found in the Same Box(es) as: A list of the traits not found in the same box(es) as the trait in question.

Extra Requirements: Lists any extra requirements that using this trait might entail, such as extra points spent.

Goes Best / Worst With and Analysis: Attempts to provide a basic idea of when to use this trait, and what traits (if any) go with it.

1. Be Swift as the Wind

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well? finish it at least!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Good tactica, only thing I can say is there's not much point finishing it yet as well in October we will have a new codex.
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

Yeah, soon after I got started, I began to hear rumors of 5th and the new 'dex, so I just kind of let it die rather than build for an expired book.

Tekore

+ Reply to Thread