Defensive Line Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defensive Line Assault Tactica

I'm still working out the kinks. I fix it as I use it.

Engulf Tactic

Formation
    Three or more units are lined up in a strait line. The ends must be maxed out. The center must be visibly weaker than the ends. This will create a target for the enemy.

For added, protection on the ends, have an extra Fast Attack Unit behind each of them. This will make it a more imposing target, and will drive the opponent away from attacking the sides, in the event that they smell a strategy.

If the attacking force seems to powerful, have a ranged unit, which is good at taking out infantry, a little behind the weakened center. Not too much, so you are not concentrating on one position, but enough to take out a little bit.

Running the Plan
    As the enemy moves in, hit them with the anti-infantry weapons, to weaken their forces. (Even one or two models will suffice if it makes it easier for your forces to meet them in close combat.)

If the enemy moves to attack the center and does not reach them in close combat, have that unit fall back about 3 or 4 inches. This will draw the enemy farther in. Once you feel they are deep enough in, collapse the sides in on them (with the exception of the fast attacks) and encircle them.

Time for the offensive
    Now that they are totally surrounded, attack with every squad.

Once you have surrounded them, they cannot move. This should have made a good opening for an offensive. Now use this opening to drive your forces strait towards whatever the objective is. Have your fast attack units move in.

In the Event of a Tank
    If the enemy attacks the center with a tank, hit it with your anti-tank weapons. (Lascannons, are great for this.) Also, depending on your opponent, a tank may make them a little cocky. That is good for you, and bad for them. If it looks like the tank will win, great!

Just be careful to take it out before it gets to close to your units. If it explodes, and takes out your units because you had the worst rolls possible, then the strategy just became pointless. There is now a hole in your line, which, if the explosion did not kill the enemy units, will have to be filled with the fast attacks on the ends, to keep yourself protected. (Unless, you want to risk a hail mary assault.)

This tactic requires alot of thinking ahead, because it depends highly on what your opponent does. You shouldn't start off the game this way.

Last edited by Thunderbound; January 1st, 2008 at 09:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like it.... i will post ideas if you want to add them here

ill use a typing picture !

######%%##%%%#########%%%%########
    ###!!!!!%%##ZZ#########ZZ###%%%#!!!!!####
    ###!!!!!!#######################!!!!!######
    ######@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@########
    ####&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&######
    ###########&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&#####???#######
    #####???####################^^^^^^^####
    ###^^^^^^#####################???######
    ######^^^####^^^^#######?^^^^^#???#####
    ##############^^^####^^^^^####^^^^####
    ######################################
    MAP
    ^ blocks line of sight
    TROOPERS
    ZZ= Heavy artillery [anti tank]
    @=ranged focused trooper
    &= CC trooper
    != quick attack trooper
    ?= a type of troop made for thinning ranks and suicide [ Since I'm a nid player ill suggest a ravener or hive tyrant with guards] but mainly anti infantry
    %= Flyer's to get around back of tanks and skimmers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if i'm gettin this you have a hammer and anvil tatic going on. The troops in the center entice your opponet out then you gett around his flanks to seal him in then you sart the blood bath of shooting and CC to begin.

If you ask me this tatic sounds great for necrons as they can take the punishment.

My only suggestion is to use a few tanks on the flanks of the center to draw fire and force you opponet to seek cover from them( or he may just run at them screaming WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!! who knows). then Fast attack goes around the tanks getting cover from the tanks and just shrink the circle tighter and tighter.

Countering this would be easy if you see it coming. Or if you do get traped foucus your forces at the weakest spot and punch a hole out of the encirclement. then its flanking right or left simple as that.

But no battleplan survives enmeny encounter, and thats just history for you.

-Saint Aqueis
    Who is to judge what and what is wrong? In these days we cannot afford the luxury of mortality. - Saint Aqueis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintAqueis View Post
    But no battleplan survives enmeny encounter, and thats just history for you.

-Saint Aqueis
    Very true.

And I could also see this working for the necrons as well.
    Hey! Look at the little.... Oh ****!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

This tactic never works, especially in a tourney.

Any half decent commander would see this coming a mile off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by phr0z3n View Post
    This tactic never works, especially in a tourney.

Any half decent commander would see this coming a mile off.
    I agree. For the most part there is no use in planning for 40k. What you should have are a bunch of small maneuvers and tactics that you know work well and use them based on the situation presented to you. Basically...play a lot of games, find out what works best in every situation, watch for it to pop up, then do what works. 40k is so reactionary, that there really is never any true planning involved at all, it's so much more instinctual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree with frozencore

And as for any good commander seeing it come a mile away that's not always the case. Especially with outflank manuver, and if your opponet loses their flanks and you can get around him.

But once again what frozencore said makes alot of sense.
    Who is to judge what and what is wrong? In these days we cannot afford the luxury of mortality. - Saint Aqueis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by SaintAqueis View Post
    Countering this would be easy if you see it coming. Or if you do get traped foucus your forces at the weakest spot and punch a hole out of the encirclement. then its flanking right or left simple as that.
    oh look he's got me surrounded whatever will we do commander fluffykins?
    well sergeant donut, we have a tank...they have to move out of our way XD
    Dear Game Designer,
    Rock is Cheese. Paper is fine.
    Signed,
    Scissors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

that would depend. even a land raider can't survive melta weapons range shots...monolith, on the other hand, could. and emperor forbid you try to encircle the nightbringer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And boom goes the dynomite,

and what frozencore said is all you need to know commander Fulffykins.

Besides this all depends on what your opponet does and even then you can't control that so end of story.

+ Reply to Thread