Tactical Squad tactics? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tactical Squad tactics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical Squad tactics?

Kind of a specific question, but does anyone have any tactical advice on using several squads of Tactical Marines effectively in tandem? That is to say, how do you build and use a group of Tactical Squads if the rest of the army is designed to operate as an independent element (and thus generally can't support the Tactical Squads element), or in lists that include few supporting units.

And how do I make those accursed heavy weapons worthwhile in Tactical Squads used for aggression and movement?! I miss Chaos Marine squads with 2 Meltaguns...but I'm sure their loyalist counterparts have tactical offset. Right?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The above is a monument to my ineptitude at signature customization!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

10 men, heavy and special weapon, powerfist and combi weapon, razorback - job done. I'll spend about 250 points in total on each Tactical Squad.

I usually run one with meltagun, missile launcher, and combi-melta. The ML stays home with the boys on an objective, while the other half rock forward in the Razorback with a HQ for company. Blow smoke first turn, second turn melta, third turn everyone out, melta and powerfist whatever is left. Against a horde I'll sit back and batter them with sheer weight of fire, another time the razorback helps

The other I'll do similar things with but have a plasma cannon (if I don't have my 4xPC Devs, Lascannon if I do) and I replace the melta weapons with flamers if against horde. Running two alongside lets me be clever with the smoke launchers and I can pop a transport then flame the contents.

Always take a powerfist, always take 10 men, always buy a Razorback, always get the weapons for the job - basically don't skimp the points.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice on my second question! Doesn't solve the lesser heavy weapon problem though, because I Rhino-[bolter]-rush, seldom break up my Tactical Squads, and use power swords religiously due to fluff reasons! *Chuckle* Maybe there just ISN'T a way to use heavy weapons effectively when your army plays that aggressively! Perhaps I'll want to invest in some Plasma Pistols to help compensate...

Actually, Razorbacks might (unfortunately, since I only own one of the buggers) be the answer to my first question too, since the problem with using Tactical Squads to support one another is the inevitable waste of bolter fire any time you want to fire a heavy weapon at something solid.
    Last edited by rogalofterra; June 9th, 2009 at 02:17.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The above is a monument to my ineptitude at signature customization!

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x3)

One thing I've seriously considered for Tac squads in the new codex is forgoing the heavy and special weapons entirely. Five marines including a Sargeant with a Power Fist and a Combi-Melta costs 130 points (I think).

Add a Razorback with a Twin-Linked assault cannon (definitely the best all-round weapon for the chassis) and you get a pretty respectable 205 unit.

It has the mobility and durability of a Rhino, the firepower of that twin-linked assault cannon, it scores, the marines inside can assault weaker units (guard, tau, or even remnants of tougher squads) and expect to win, and the combi-melta provides a significant measure of last-ditch utility--and its about the cost of a regular tooled up tac squad.

Essentially, you're trading those extra guys and the heavy and special weapons for an effective bunker which can tool around and fire off a much better heavy weapon while doing it.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hiya guys,

"Always take a powerfist, always take 10 men, always buy a Razorback, always get the weapons for the job - basically don't skimp the points."

I thought a Razorback only holds 6 in 5th ed?

Can a 10 man marine squad break into two units, with one boarding a Razorback?

Cheers!
    ~R

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RobinD View Post
    I thought a Razorback only holds 6 in 5th ed?

Can a 10 man marine squad break into two units, with one boarding a Razorback?
    Yes, 5 man combat squads can go in transports - and with the RB you've got space for a IC in there with them.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    5 man combat squads can go in transports
    yes, but once you have 2 5 man squads, and a RB, that is 3 kill points for the opponent! and easy ones at that too!!!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonus Prize View Post
    yes, but once you have 2 5 man squads, and a RB, that is 3 kill points for the opponent! and easy ones at that too!!!
    Well yes, but in annihilation matches you just don't split the squad and have them stand next to the RB, gatting everything in sight.
    My Deathwatch Campaign

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

i find that an RB with a episitorlary (librarian) and a combat squad works well with any army as librarian can cast Smite or Vortex of Doom which wipe out ANY ONE even termies as Smite is AP2 and Vortex is AP1 NO ONE IS SAFE! mwa ha ha!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Tactical squads should never ever be taken since the FoC obliges you to take 2 troops at least. Your tactical squads are an essential part of your force and should be considered as such. They are your scoring units, your objective holders and takers. Just like any other unit in your list they have a job to do.
    Pairing them with a Razorback, increases survivability and increases the damage output as well. In general, I tend to run my tactical squads at 10 man strong. combat squad em and sarge with PF of PW and combi-bolter goes with flamer/melta and 3 bolter marines forward while ML or other weapon sits back with four other guys.
    These combat squads must support each other though. I often split my tacs in combat squads not only for the versatility it gives me, but it effectively doubles my number of scoring units. Yes they become more vulnerable to saturation, being outnumbered and reducing the shots put out by each individual part, but it separates the assault weapon from the heavy weapon as well, allowing you to maximise the use of each of these weapons. Keeping them alive is up to you by keeping your opponent busy by pouring in a shitload of fire form the other FoC slots. Remember Vanilla marines don't do CC like BA or SW. Their strength lies in shooting.

also, I'll generally have more than just 2 tac squads in my lists depending on the points. keeping your tacs within range of each other allows you to let them work together, significantly increasing the damage output done by them. If you have a mob of Orks bearing down on a tac squad, in CC your not gonna fair well with your vanilla marines. If you have a second tac squad supporting them though, it's a different story since you'll be able to whitle them down further and you can countercharge to save their brethren

It is very important as well to learn to use the combat tactics, and they shall know no fear rules . Though you cannot rely on them to win the game for you, learning to read the flow of battle and knowing when to use these traits is just as important.
    Clough1989 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast