Knights vs IG strategy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Zac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knights vs IG strategy

I am playing a game as gray knights against imperial guard, and this player has a long history of whipping me. Generally he has around 10 lascannons and some plasma hidden in his swarms of troops, a squad of fully equipped rough riders, and 3 tanks. Even hitting on 5's those lascannons mean land raiders and dreadnoughts are useless. Between the rough riders and the rapid-fire deep striking is exceptionally dangerous, the plasma meaning even terminators will get mangled.

Heres the list I'm thinking for 1500

Troops
    2 x 9 stormtroopers and a teleport homer and infiltrate
    2 x 5 tactical marines in rhino
    5 knights in rhino

Fast Attack
    2 x 5 gray knights with two incinerators

Heavy Support
    Lance Strike
    Space Marine Devastators with Lascannons

So the stormtroopers guide in the two incinerator squads which hopefully dent his hordes, the rhino troops just charge away, devastators handle anti-tank, lance strike helps with that and also takes out whatever infantry it lands on.

Thoughts and advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Firstly grey knights canot begin in a rhino but would have to travel in someone elses. Also you cannot induct marines if you have grey knights present and I think you would need 2 SM tac squads to bring in devastators anyway.

Power armoured grey knights are your freind. Using shrouding and a cover save they can be difficult to kill at long range and a full squad can lay down 20 bolt shots which is enough to kill entire squads in the open. You don't need transports as they are vulnerable and you can move and fire freely with storm bolters.

If you can use terrain to advance and cut off a proportion of his firepower then do so. When you get close you can kill squads in combat and hopefully you can survive his shooting phase by being locked in combats. A meltabomb and 18 S6 attacks on rear armour is often your best method of killing tanks.

Terminators are overpowered for guard as you don't need S6 power weapons to kill guard.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    I am playing a game as gray knights against imperial guard, and this player has a long history of whipping me. Generally he has around 10 lascannons and some plasma hidden in his swarms of troops, a squad of fully equipped rough riders, and 3 tanks. Even hitting on 5's those lascannons mean land raiders and dreadnoughts are useless. Between the rough riders and the rapid-fire deep striking is exceptionally dangerous, the plasma meaning even terminators will get mangled.

Heres the list I'm thinking for 1500

Troops
    2 x 9 stormtroopers and a teleport homer and infiltrate
    2 x 5 tactical marines in rhino
    5 knights in rhino

Fast Attack
    2 x 5 gray knights with two incinerators

Heavy Support
    Lance Strike
    Space Marine Devastators with Lascannons

So the stormtroopers guide in the two incinerator squads which hopefully dent his hordes, the rhino troops just charge away, devastators handle anti-tank, lance strike helps with that and also takes out whatever infantry it lands on.

Thoughts and advice?
    for facing guard in my opinion your army is far offé. you should try and take it to them in a shooting war, now this isnt as bad of an idea as it first sounds you see grey knights are a shooty army and you should use them like that massed stormbolter shots strikes from orbit helfire dreads and most importantly the shrouding this means about 1/3 times they try and shhot you aat your arms length the stormbolter they will find themselves out of range and waste their shooting use helfire dreads and your orbital bombardments to kill his tanks early on, and if he advances on you to get past the dhrouding kill his tanks and charge him. 1/3 doesnt seem like good odds at first but little bit can change you from basically only having to take the firepower of a 1k guard army instead of 1.5 and remember hit his tanks first after that you dont have too much to fear. a recommendec list would go something like

HQ
    Brother Captain Targeter 62
    this is a cheap hq taking the mandatory spot adding a bit of punch on the counter attack adding some storm bolter fire power and helping you watch how far you are from enemies to take full advantage of the shrouding
    Elites
    Inquisitor Psycannon 2 Sages 1 Mystic 3 gun servitors Heavy Bolters 141
    this unit should pump out some decent anti personel fire and scare away any deep striking storm troopers from coming too close but most importantly lets you buy a vindicire assassin still be very careful with this unit as they arent under the shrouding so will attract lots of firepwer once your opponent gets wise of your strategy
    Vindicare Assassin 110
    the assassin can obviously help sniping at any enemies of note such as inquisitors masters of ordance all of those annoying little guardsmen while his stealth suit makes him harder to target than your grey knights
    Troops
    10 Grey Knights 2 Psycannons 325
    these units are pretty self explanatory shhot the guard where they're hopefully out of range
    Heavy Support
    Lance Strike 70
    long story short aim at his russes
    Dread Lascannon Missile Launcher 140
    use this to help bust his russes , you might want some more antitank firepower than this list offers but i think this shows my basic idea

and for future refrence there is a spot for army lists in each army specific forum so in the deamonhunters forun just click the army lists link and it will give you a nice place for your thread
    Last edited by Mr. Biscuits; July 17th, 2009 at 23:12. Reason: lol uh oops
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Zac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Results

Thanks to both of you. I did not end up using that list. I took
    -guard with lascannons,
    -a bunch of small IST squads with melta-guns in rhinos,
    -a crusader wtih a brother-captain and terminator squad (with 2 incinerators),
    -3 inquisitors and 1 inquis lord deep striking in termi armour and incinerators,
    -1 big knights squad walking (2 psycannons)
    -and 1 small knight squad dropping (2 incinerators)

I didnt win the objective but I did better than I ever have, and your advice helped me flatten tao and eldar.

I

+ Reply to Thread