Tactica: Emperor's Children, Chaos Space Marine Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactica: Emperor's Children, Chaos Space Marine Legion

Greetings. Ive seen many many posts asking advice about the Emperor's Children army list and tactics, and many of them are the same old stuff being asked again and again. So, I am going to start the ball rolling with a few small posts about the tactics that I've found usefull.

First of all, let me tell you that I've been playing Emperor's children for about 9 months now as my primary 40K army and have had around 45-50 battles with them. I own and have used just about every option that they can take and have used many different tactics with them. I am going to post my favourites here.

My first topic is going to be on the good and evil of Daemonettes, the daemon pack of choice for Slaanesh armies.

Let me start by saying that I love daemonettes. Ever since the new box set came out, I have wanted to field them. Then, after I started my EC army and used them, I fell in love with their simple and efficient deployment.

I'll just throw down a few bulleted ideas here.

1. Daemonettes are a flash in the pan choice. They don't last long and will not last the battle. With their innate low toughness and daemonic aura save, they will get munched pretty fast by any focused effort of the enemy.

2. Daemonettes do a lot of damage to just about any target you throw them at. With their daemonic talons, good WS, good STR, and warp scream, they will do a lot of damage on the charge.

3. Remember their special number. This can be key in a battle. If you deploy them in a multiple of the magic number, they tend to come out pretty early.

So, with those things in mind. This is how I employ them.... First, make sure you have a unit with an icon handy in a position that will allow the daemonettes to get into combat the turn they are summoned. If I'm going against an ultra close combat army, like orcs or bugs, I'll just keep my close combat guys and lord behind my main line and hope that the enemy is within 16" by the second turn. I'll also go with a multiple of 6, so that they will come in on the second turn.

Since I mainly go with a shooting EC army, I usually want to deploy the daemonettes on the flank and sweep in from the side. That way they don't block LOS for my shooting. Remember though, that they will probably all be dead in a few turns, anyway.

Another way to deploy them is to send them in behind enemy lines to take out that one nasty shooting or high value target of the enemy. I love it when my 6 man, 90 pt daemonettes materialize right beside the enemy's 300 pt devastators and the opponent just goes, "uh oh."

The size of the unit is also very important. If your going against 1-10 man units of single wound models, then go with a small unit of daemonettes. A 6-man team usually does the same amount of damage as a 10-man team. Remember, that they will more than likely get annihilated the next turn, so there's no point in going with a 12-man team, unless you will need all those attacks in one round. I plan to do one solid round of combat with my girls, do more than 90 pts of dmg to a critical unit of the enemy, then let them soak up 50+ shots the next turn and go down in glory. A 6-man team usually can wipe out a 10-man space marine squad in one or two turns.

Also, a 6-man team can all be grouped on one edge of the ordnance template. This can be a good thing, because it gives you an extra 4-5" towards the enemy. Don't play coy with the daemonettes. Be bold and throw them at the enemy like bullets. I've taken down everything from Dreadnoughts, to command squads, to tanks with these little girls.

If you go with a large unit of 12, they'll probably wipe out the enemy in one turn, sweep to the next target, and get shot down in the process. So, a pack of 6 will likely destroy that same unit in two turns, then sweep forward on your turn and therefore won't be shot at.

So, there's my first installment. Next time, I'll talk about sonic weaponry. Cheers!

Okay, I've cleared my desk somewhat and can start my sonic weapons discussion.

1. The sonic blaster is arguably the best basic troop weapon in the game. The ability to have multiple shots on the move, without reducing it's range or power, makes this weapon ideal for the fire and fall-back tactic. Why they gave this weapon to an army that all have +1 initiative, I'll never know.

2. The Blast Master is a very powerfull weapon and very versatile. Having a heavy weapon that fires on the move, albeit at a lower power setting is awesome! And the ability to PIN TROOPS while moving should point to how you use this weapon. It's definitely a fire and fall-back weapon too.

Tactics: When fielding my shooty EC army, I almost always max out my squads with sonic weapons. Troop choices have 9 SB's and 1 BM, and havocs have 6 SB's and 4 BM's. These guys setup in cover and try to stay put for as long as possible to lay down punishing fire on the enemy.

Against an assaulting army, there's two basic tactics.
    1. Set up at the rear of your zone, don't move, shoot when the enemy comes in range concentrating on one unit at a time till it's completely wiped out. Then, use your close combat as a reserve to finish off the assaulting units once they get to you.
    2. Use the stick and carrot, or fire and fall-back technique. In this tactic, you deploy far enough to bring the enemy into your range, then shoot the crap out of him. As he moves forward, you fall back, preferrably through terrain, and keep up your fire using the BM's to pin if possible. Don't fall strait back, but circle around so you don't get stuck on a table edge. If the enemy moves too fast, sweep in with your daemon prince or daemonettes to stop all but one of his units, then shoot up the last one.

Against a shooting enemy, especially one that outshoots you...

1. Use a few rhinos. Gather all your shooters together in terrain on one side of your deployment zone. Then move the empty rhinos to block LOS to about half of the enemy, if you can. Now, you can shoot at half his army with all of yours for at least 2 rounds. And, your opponent will have to move to reposition into LOS, while only half of his units will be able to shoot at you. By the time they reposition, you should have destroyed a lot of whatever was still in LOS. By the time he has repositioned to get you into line of sight, it'll be time for your daemonettes to be summoned into play to wreak havoc on those that are most threatening to you. If you have a Lord/DP, you'll have half of the enemy's deployment zone, free of enemy since he just moved to get you into LOS. This should allow the DP a good path to run up the unoccupied flank behind cover and assault the rear.

2. Go with about the same configuration as above, but take a possessed squad with a beefed rhino to shield the DP across the table, and to hold the Icon for the daemonettes.

That's my two cents on sonic weaponry. The biggest downfall is that none of the weapons have a low AP, so marines and the like will always get their saves. In that case, you can switch your tactics around some. The awesome amount of saves you can force a SM to take will eventually take it's toll.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Did you just copy this from an old article? It seems to be written for the old 3rd edition Codex. Daemonettes and sacred numbers have no part in the curent codex.

If you fancy having a crack at an Emperors Children Tactica but updated to the current codex then count me in. Whatabout the following headings....

Daemon Prince with MoS - Lash of Submission.
    Lord with MoS - Bliss Giver
    Sorceror with MoS

Chosen with IoS
    Possesed with IoS
    Terminators with IoS

Chaos Marines with IoS
    Noise Marines - sonic weapons
    Generic (but daemonette looking) lesser daemons.

Bikes with IoS
    Raptors with IoS

Havocs with IoS

Support units - Pred, Dread, Vindicators, Defilers etc.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is copied from my original post, made years ago. At that time, there was no Tactica section. The tactics that I have laid out are generally still valid. Fire and fall back can still work against many opponents and sonic weaponry hasn't changed. I've included tactics, or ways to use your minis to get good battlefield results, that I find effective. This is by no means an exhaustive list of every tactic that can be used for chaos space marines. If you need a complete listing of available gear, purchase the codex.

I will attempt to update the post and when I am finished, it will be moved over to the completed tactica section. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaileint View Post
    This is copied from my original post, made years ago. At that time, there was no Tactica section. The tactics that I have laid out are generally still valid. Fire and fall back can still work against many opponents and sonic weaponry hasn't changed. I've included tactics, or ways to use your minis to get good battlefield results, that I find effective. This is by no means an exhaustive list of every tactic that can be used for chaos space marines. If you need a complete listing of available gear, purchase the codex.

I will attempt to update the post and when I am finished, it will be moved over to the completed tactica section. Cheers.
    Good stuff the only things that I find EC's lacking is anything thats anti mech . Against light inf the sonic weps are kick ass. But against MEQ its not so much. I do think hit and runs while pinning down squads works to whittle them down. Also EC's in CC have some cool abilites as well. I just dont remember which ones though. Gotta read the codex again.
    "The fallen shall forever be remembered as the emporers finest!"

+ Reply to Thread