Tactica: Genestealer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Tactica: Genestealer

I wrote this a while back, but since this section is now here...

Tactica: Genestealer

Genestealers. For some the name sparks images of loathing and fear. For others, respect. For some of us they are what got us started in the Games Workshop hobby in the first place, (Space Hulk anyone?) stalking our Terminators down cramped corridors al-la Alien. Even today Genestealers strike fear in to the hearts (or lack of) of all enemy commanders.

Amazing fighters, wicked fast, and rending to boot, Genestealers are among the best Shock troops in the 40K universe. With the ability to upgrade their stats to adapt to different opponents make the Genestealer certainly the most versatile Shock Trooper. They can take many roles such as: Anti-elite, anti-infantry, and anti-vehicle. And for those heartless generals they can also be used as a sacrificial distraction unit, but who would want to do that wit h the most awesome killing machine ever?

Pros/Cons
    Pros:
    • Fast
    • Great WS
    • Rending
    • Distraction
    • Great I
    Cons:
    • Can get expensive
    • Not very tough
    • Crappie armor save, even when upgraded
    • Loses Fleet of Claw when joined with Broodlord

Biomorphs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47
    Here are my thoughts on Genestealer biomorphs. These may not be the best or right ideas but it is what I’ve learned from my experience. Hope it helps.
    *Acid Maw- A decent biomorph but very expensive for what it does. Genestealers will hit with the vast majority of attacks, making it hard for this biomorph to be very useful.
    *Extended Carapace- This is an essential biomorph. It is probably the most useful as it improves the save and keeps many of the basic army weapons like bolters from penetrating the save.
    *Feeder Tendrils- Although a cool biomorph, it really isn’t necessary. Stealers have a high enough weapon skill that they don’t need Preferred Enemy and it only becomes useful when the opponents weapon skill reaches 6 in which case the opponent is most likely a small elite unit that can be killed by rending hits alone.
    *Flesh Hooks- Very useful if you are playing on a high terrain field and it is really a personal choice to take them since they don’t cost enough to make much of a difference to a Genestealer brood. If you are attacking any encampments though, they will be worth the points.
    *Implant Attack- In my opinion this isn’t a biomorph that Genestealers should be taking. Most multi wound units have between 2-4 wounds and in a 6 Genestealer brood on the charge you will get 3 rending auto wounds to begin with. It just is too expensive to earn its points back.
    *Scything talons- This is another very good biomorph although I don’t use it much. Plus 1 attack per stealer is nothing to laugh at and it can be deadly on the charge. The trade off is that you get a much more expensive stealer that doesn’t get any tougher and when combined with extended carapace, you have a massive point cost for a brood of Genestealers.
    *Scuttlers- I have heard of some strategies and people who like this but I hate it. It is an expensive biomorph that gives you one free move. The problem is if you don’t go first you may just be moving more into the firing zone of your opponent and most likely your Genestealers will be closest to them so they have to shoot the stealers or take a target priority test. It just isn’t a very useful biomorph in my opinion.
    *Toxin Sacs- It looks good but really is just another expensive biomorph. Genestealers mainly rely on their rending to hurt big things. It is like the scything talons, but doesn’t help rending any.

Remember, as with all units, you really want to try to keep your stealers as cheap as possible while still allowing them to do their job well.
    Anti-Elite: As the units of these type of Genestealers are so expensive, you will need to keep them small in order for them not to be a point sink. 6-8 is perfect. With 4 rending attacks on the charge these Genestealers should be able to take down even the hardiest of opponents. Watch out for heavy weapon squads, for the weapons can bypass your armor. To prevent special weapon rape, use cover to your advantage (always) as you will never get stuck due to the “Move Through Cover? USR. Get these Genestealers into close-combat with a nice, juicy target as soon as (un)humanly possible.

Essential Biomorphs:
    Extended Carapace (prevents bolter rape. Wouldn’t want your squad of souped up stealers getting killed by regular marines, would you),
    Scything Talons (in order to get a favorable kill ratio, Genestealers need as many attacks as possible)

Might Consider:
    Scuttlers (might be useful, though only if you get the first turn. If your opponent is careless or you are playing on a small table, with a little bit of luck, and a good Fleet of Claw roll, you could get first turn assault)

Good Against: Elites (hence the name) and walkers (due to the numbers of rending attacks and walkers low AV, Genestealers shouldn’t get bogged down.)

Bad Against : Masses of troops (they will get bogged down, as it is a small unit, and will therefore not have as many attacks.

Anti-Infantry :
    With their high WS and I Genestealers should be able to rip through your average trooper with ease. Use A-I stealers in big squads of, say, 8-12 as these stealers will be raped by bolters and need as many models once they reach their target unit. Keep these Genestealers as cheap as possible, preferably with no upgrades at all, due to the fact that they will die rather easily. This setup is good against Imperial Guard for several reasons. One, there are not many bolter in Guard armies. Less bolter means less penetration (yes I know they have Hellguns) Two, because you will own them in close-combat. And three, because there is a hell of a lot of infantry to kill, and that’s what this squad is meant to do. Always use terrain to your advantage.

Essential Biomorphs: None
    Might Consider: Scything Talons (More attacks is always good, especially against infantry heavy armies. I would personally recommend this biomorph, unless you are play against an infantry-heavy army)

Good Against: Infantry, Light Vehicles(if you swarm vehicles with enough rending attacks, something going too happen.

Bad Against: Elites(they are not powerful enough to take down elite unites reliably)

Anti-Vehicle: Genestealers are not very well suited to the role of vehicle hunting as they have to relay on lucky rending rolls to do damage. So, in my opinion, take a maximum brood if you are going tanks hunting. In fact tack on a Broodlord too, since he has a higher S. You will need a large brood, so, no matter the causalities, you will still be able to deal out 10+ attacks against your chosen target. Scything talons might be useful, but add cost to a unit that is, most likely, never going to see the end of the game. I don’t recommend it, but no doubt it can be useful. This unit needs to be cheap, for this unit will also be dead. And nobody here suffers from “All-eggs-in-one-basket? syndrome, do they?

Essential Biomorphs: None
    May Consider: Scything Talons (some people prefer to get as many attacks as they can, even at they cost of a more expensive unit that will probably die any way)

Good Against:Vehicles, infantry (see above)
    Bad Against: Elites(they are not powerful enough to take down elite unites reliably)

Psychological Effects of the Genestealer: The psychological effect of placing a Genestealer brood on the table is enormous. Most people are just plain scared of them. That’s probably why mine never make it across the table alive in any significant numbers . They are great a distraction unit (BLASPHHAMY!) More that likely your opponent will divert much of his overall firepower into destroying your Genestealers, while that fire power could but dealing death to the rest of your army. Then, you simply overwhelm him with your remaining force/ Wherever Genestealers are present, they present a threat and, guaranteed, will be shot at.

Core List of a Genestealer Army:

Broodlord @ 80
    Extended Carapace
    5 Genestealer Retinue @ 100
    Extended Carapace
    8 Genestealers @ 160
    Extended Carapace
    8 Genestealers @ 160
    Extended Carapace

Total:500

This list, at the 500 point level, will rip through anything your opponent can throw at you. In Close-Combat, they will own. If you place them with the Broodlord, you can Infiltrate and destroy those pesky heavy-weapon squads. Vehicle shouldn’t be a problem because: A, there won’t be that many and B, the ones that are there won’t be super heavily armored.

I hope this Tactica give you a better insight into the many roles of the Genestealer. I would like to thank Warrior47 for the Biomorph section, and Caluin, Dreachon, and Warrior47 for checking to see f this page was tactically sound. Thank you and goodnight.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Doomthought.

NOTE: I will add more comments, and advice given to me. I just have to compile them first.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering what you thought about Genestealer placement? I know that everyone says to keep them behind cover until they get there (duh).
    I was thinking more specific, like i usually place mine on a flank that has a lot of cover on it because that way they are often an unexpeted 2 turn suprise. But one other Idea is to place them behind your Gaunts for some real punch. What do u think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Life is Nothing without challenge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Huwith View Post
    I was wondering what you thought about Genestealer placement? I know that everyone says to keep them behind cover until they get there (duh).
    I was thinking more specific, like i usually place mine on a flank that has a lot of cover on it because that way they are often an unexpeted 2 turn suprise. But one other Idea is to place them behind your Gaunts for some real punch. What do u think?
    Great minds think alike! I always place my Genestealers on the Flanks, as the opponets move to get away from them, and then they are right in front of the rest of my army, where they are easy prey. Works like a charm.

-Doom

+ Reply to Thread