Librarium Online Forums banner

Help With Tyranids

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Commissar_Malevich 
#1 ·
Hi, first can i say i am not sure wether this is in the right place but sorry if it is and feel free to move it.

In a few days time, i am getting together with some friends to play a 3 vs 3 battle on a 6x4 grass mat. I am using Tau and my two team mates are using grey knights/imperial guard and chaos. My opponents are Tau, Blood Angels/Witch Hunters and Nids.

My problem is that i am not to sure on how to beat the tyranids as they are very useful in cc and i would like some tips if possible on how to beat them. I do not have a problem with the Tau and Blood Angels/Witch Hunters as me and my team mates have played them before with no problems. I know he is using two hive tyrants, 1 with wings, a zonathrope, a cc carnifex, 64 gaunts and an infiltrating unit of a broodlord and 8 genestealers retinue. If anybody has any help on how to defeat tyranids in my current situation then all help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Super-Scouse

#2 ·
Hey Super-Scouse. Here's a couple of brief tips or advice:

First off, I'd go with a more mech appraoch. This way it will be easier to avoid close combat, and harder for him to assault your troops. If you were to play a static list, you'd be very susceptable to charges, especially the infiltrating unit of genestealers and broodlord, or other fast close combat enemies.

Of course I'm pretty sure that you know to avoid close combat with Tau, no matter who you're facing. So avoid close combat if at all possible! An idea might be to have your chaos or daemon hunter friend have some counter charge units to help defend you from their close combat attacks.

I know he is using two hive tyrants, 1 with wings, a zonathrope, a cc carnifex, 64 gaunts and an infiltrating unit of a broodlord and 8 genestealers retinue.
The Hive Tyrants will eat you up in close combat. I'm guessing the flying hive tyrant is geared for close combat, where the slogging one for shooting? This could be the case. If so, concentrate your lower ap guns on them. If all he has for synapse is two hive tyrants, a zonethroap, and an infiltrating broodlord (which really won't be able to help much anyway, regarding synapse), then you might be able to pick off his syyanpse creatures leaving his gaunts quite useless. Watch how he sets up and deploys/moves, and if he looks vulnerable to such an attack strike and take advantage of it.

The Zoanthrope will (probably) have Warp Blast, which is a strong shooting attack with medium range. It comes in two forms. Ones very effective against your vehicles, while the other ones not as strong.

The cc carnifex won't be too much of a problem, as it's slow. You could pretty much ignore it for the most part, although it could become a nuisance to be careful. I'd probalby just try to avoid it unless it becomes a bit threat.

The Genestealers and Broodlord will eat through anything in close combat. Your best bet would be to shoot em' down would decent ap weapons that will ignore their save.

Fire Warriors, or other hoard shredding weapons will be great at downing all those gaunts.

Good luck, if you wanted I could try to expand on any paticular points. Or, if you have any questions feel free to ask and me or anyone else can attempt to answer them.

#3 ·
He cannot field 2 hive tyrants and a broodlord. They are each a HQ choice, and you can only field 2 hq choices at any time.

Tyranids need to get into close combat. Pick the units that will hit you first, and eliminate them. Assuming your friend decides to have 2 hive tyrants, the winged one is probably the first thing you want to eliminate(if deployed in your LoS), then any hormagaunts/genestealers.

A common mistake to make against a Nid player, is to try to eliminate the big bugs first. This is usually impossible to do before his little bugs show up in CC. I recommend bringing 2 Hammerheads for their submunition and focused shot.

Remember, a CC flying Tyrant can only have ~6 attacks in combat. Even though he will shred anything that he hits, he can only get into base to base with maybe 4 models tops, unlike a squad of 16 hormagaunts dropping around 32 attacks and most likely slaughtering your FW squad in one fell swoop.

Just something to keep in mind.

#5 ·
Be sure to take plenty of heavy and regular bolters, they eat nids up like no other. Also be aware that lascannons can take out those pesky zoans pretty easily as their synapse creature rule doesnt count towards weapons above double their toughness. Its been discussed in the GW forum thingy..rules... so the zoan will die outright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.