Imperial Guard tank Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard tank Tactica

Tank Tactics for the Imperial Guard
    My first attempt at serious tactica. However i dont know how to get pictures though. So ignore the mentions of diagrams, and spaces. If you tell me how, then i will load them up...:yes:

Formations

Formations for tanks are a major part of any Imperial Guard Commander’s tactical knowledge. In this section I shall go over the main formations of tanks for Imperial Guard. The first of which is the column, which is used to travel fast down a road, in order to get to the objectives or deployment zones. It is weak in so far as it cannot bring all its weapons to bear. If there is no road, you can slightly alter the formation, so that more weapons can be brought to bear. As shown in the second diagram.Since there is no second diagram, I will describe it. It is a diaganol formation moving forword.

The second formation is called the trident formation, as seen below.
    It is used to break through enemy lines, and effective in so far as it can bring many weapons to bear in any direction, and if flanked, it has the firepower of 2 tanks rather than one tank if it was just a plane line abreast formation, which is not shown, but consists of several tanks aligned together. A good variation is to have the center tank as a hellhound, and the side tanks leman russ tanks, or a demolisher in the center. This way it can take out infantry, and armour while plowing through enemy lines. It is not however, very effective against carnifexes, in which I don’t recommend its use.

Armored assault

Against close combat armies, it might seem like madness to drive up to the enemy, however, if you outflank a footslogging ork army it will confuse him greatly and cause him to separate his army. You can do this in several ways by deploying armored fist squads, or storm trooper squads.
    • Driving around the enemy and deploying troops in cover. This way they are in his deployment zone, and will probably take him 2 or 3 turns to finish off, thus slowing down his assault, and keeping your main units safe and dry, while the enemy must split his force and target priority.
    • Drive by tactics work well on armies that aren’t mobile like the Tau or the Eldar, in which case the Chimeras can help to take down the skimmers, and the infantry squad can act as normal. Simply drive past the enemy shooting at them as you go.

Saving your basilisks- The art of blocking enemy firepower
    When deploying basilisks, never engage the enemy directly with them. The only way to go with them is to purchase indirect fire, which is a great physiological weapon against the enemy. But you must protect them from the enemy! When deploying them, I always place them behind cover. If there is no lever 3 cover, then I use leman russes or chimeras for fire support, and so hat they block line of sight to the basilisk(s). Sometimes, I might field a trio of basilisks, and deploy them with my very on mobile chimera cover. This is particularly effective as the whole formation can redeploy rapidly if the enemy is getting to close. A diagram of the tactic is displayed below. With improvisation, you can deploy a variety of formations based on this.

Moving cover and armored walls/funnels
    One tactic is to tank shock enemy assault troops into a position where the whole army can fire on them reducing them to molten slag.Another excellent tactic is to deploy chimeras in a way that funnels enemy assault troops with no anti tank weaponry into a corridor that has many fire lanes for your troops to indulge on. In the diagram below, the hormagaunts (red) are forced to attack the guard (blue) head on and are not able to flank due to the position of the chimeras. They will there for have a lot of fire power coming towards them.Since there are no pictures, i will describe again; There is a ruined buidling with a platoon, both the flanks have much terrain, by deploying the 2 chimeras next to the building at an angle, you force a frontal charge.

Death from above
    Some good ways to tank hunt or take out valuable enemy targets with tanks are often what the enemy least expects. Other than just shooting at him with you Tanks, you can do other things that allow you to task your firepower elsewhere. By deep striking (drop troops) sentinels with auto cannons lascannons, heavy flamers and/or with hunter killer missiles next to the enemy. There is a good chance a deep striking sentinel with a lascannons and hunter killer missile will cripple an ork looted Basilisk by dropping in to see it’s side armour. They are good at blowing up tanks by firing on rear or side armour. This is quite effective against anything that is not a land raider or a monolith. They are cheap and can make up there points cost easily. Against infantry, Deep Striking heavy flamers can toast any infantry unit in cover or not up to a 4+ armour save. This is particularly good at crippling aspect warrior squads such as the Howling Banshees, thus removing a threat 3-4 times it’s points cost by turn 2 if you have just a couple of deep striking sentinels. After they fire, they can often tie up large squads of strength 3 units for the rest of the game, such as gaunt. They will be difficult to uproot, and half the gaunt will have had to die if it is a large unit, to make way for a monstrous creature to kill the sentinel. The only flaw of this tactic is that you MUST have the improved comms upgrade, to ensure your sentinels come down on time, where you want them, and when you want them. You can even re-roll successful reserved rolls if there are no viable targets or opportunity’s present on the board yet.

Anti Infantry
    Leman russes are good against power armour; Hellhounds are good at anybody without power or terminator armour. Demolishers are good at anything else such as terminators, etc. There is nothing more to be said.

GW Online : Warhammer 40,000 : Imperial Guard : Tank Formations
    Here is a link to the tank formation pictures i would have put up:

Last edited by Imperator100; May 11th, 2007 at 13:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

To post pictures, host them on a website, ie) ImageShack® - Hosting. Then copy the link or hotlink into your post. I'm a little pressed for time so il read the tactica later tonight, will post comments when i do so.
    "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a good tactica, especially that one with deep striking sentinels But one thing I miss is something more about the Hellhound.
    I find them really efective as "back-burners"..I've only tried tis a couple of times against orks and 'nids but every time I drove behind their major assaulting lines with two H-hounds and burned their 4+ save and worse units. They didn't know what to do since they couldn't run away from the HH's and didn't have time to go back and beat 'em up. But maybe it worked so well bcause their armies had no stand-back-and-shoot things ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leman Russes are always such a BIG target though so i'm always hesitant on using them against the Space Marines.
    "Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword"!
    (Says the Officer manning the pintle mounted storm bolter to the tank driver)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Regarding to the Basilisk screening tactic, I've been utilizing it for awhile now and there is one major flaw to it.. Always remember to leave at least some space enough to fit through a chimera, should your screening wall of vehicles gets immoblized or destroyed, your basilisk will be caged inside your little box unable to move nor fire if your enemy has advanced into the 36" minimal distance.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

i'd take leman russ's against smurfs all the time. their cannons obliterate power armour. i take at least one to soak firepoewr and have bassies and infantry with heavies kill the rest. leman russ, even against sm lascannons and their short ranged multi meltas. if i have it though, i take it minimal, leman with hvy bolter, no sponsons. maybe extra armor. but that way it'll soak fire while killing infantry squads. the bassies and other infantry will kill everything else

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MadLarkin View Post
    i'd take leman russ's against smurfs all the time. their cannons obliterate power armour. i take at least one to soak firepoewr and have bassies and infantry with heavies kill the rest. leman russ, even against sm lascannons and their short ranged multi meltas. if i have it though, i take it minimal, leman with hvy bolter, no sponsons. maybe extra armor. but that way it'll soak fire while killing infantry squads. the bassies and other infantry will kill everything else
    Hear Hear! and at STR8 Instakill most characters! Get those Marines. (and It's great for popping Transports)

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)