Whats the fluff behind march blocking? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the fluff behind march blocking?

You and your regiment of Corsairs are marching towards a unit of Glade Guard.

Then suddenly some Warhawks pop out of nowhere behind you and you decide to slow down allowing yourself to take more volleys of arrows...

I don't get it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro17 View Post
    You and your regiment of Corsairs are marching towards a unit of Glade Guard.

Then suddenly some Warhawks pop out of nowhere behind you and you decide to slow down allowing yourself to take more volleys of arrows...

I don't get it.
    If an enemy is nearby you when in combat you're going to worry about moving quickly due to the potential for being flank or rear charged because you didn't pay notice to what the enemy was doing.

My guess would be it just represents the moving unit being more cautious due to the presence of another unit that could perhaps rip them to bits if they don't keep an eye on them.

My 2c for what its worth
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam / I'll either find a way or make one.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I think you're pretty much on the money there, Nachtjager.

I guess the guys at the back of the unit are worried about whatever giant thing they can see coming up behind them, so are trying to move defensively, holding back the guys at the front.

I kind of agree; I'd be wanting to hoe into the guys hurling arrows at me, but if I ended up being sandwiched between the arrow guys and their flying mates... It's probably something I'd like to avoid. So there'd be some hesitation as to whether to charge, and what to charge at.

Something like that, anyway.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I think you're pretty much on the money there, Nachtjager.

I guess the guys at the back of the unit are worried about whatever giant thing they can see coming up behind them, so are trying to move defensively, holding back the guys at the front.

I kind of agree; I'd be wanting to hoe into the guys hurling arrows at me, but if I ended up being sandwiched between the arrow guys and their flying mates... It's probably something I'd like to avoid. So there'd be some hesitation as to whether to charge, and what to charge at.

Something like that, anyway.
    Thanks

Thats Just the way I always interpreded it from a military pov, now worse than the threat of another other than your target near you.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam / I'll either find a way or make one.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

have you seen 300? the part in the village, the stones scatter "BEHIND US" the men weel round fo face bout instantly.

now they were stood still, and are highly diciplined, now imagin your part of a block of infantry, 3rd rank, you cant see much front or read, and you hear enemy behind you, the men behind saying "theres a bloody gurt hawk behind us" me are going to be jostleing for a look, slowing down to figure out what to do, readying weapons for fight etc.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well could be but the explaination is actually more practical. Marching is when you load up all your gear and get ready for a longer journey. So if you march all the way to somewhere you are very likely to be tired and not combat ready. thats why you cant shoot after you march. So when you hear an enemy closeby or even see him i dont think you are going to pack your things and get ready for a hike.
    Insomnia always seemed really cool...
    Till i got it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by El Jeffo View Post
    well could be but the explaination is actually more practical. Marching is when you load up all your gear and get ready for a longer journey. So if you march all the way to somewhere you are very likely to be tired and not combat ready. thats why you cant shoot after you march. So when you hear an enemy closeby or even see him i dont think you are going to pack your things and get ready for a hike.
    That's about it. Marching in Warhammer is when the unit packs up their equipment and put all of their effort into moving faster. If there is an enemy nearby then there is a potential threat so the unit has to make themselves combat ready just in case they have to fight, so they can't manage the same speed as when they were marching.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

This explaination in perfect- the packing your gear idea. For spearmen, that'd just be stowing the shield and shouldering your spear. Most likely means breaking ranks too. Anyone that's ever been in any kind of marching formation will know that tight ranks are bad for speed.
    However- i have to know how dwarves are never march blocked. are they just fearless? it makes no sense in the fluff. they should get a penalty for getting charged after the march.

actually, anyone who gets charged after marched should take a penalty- they should do away with march blocking all together. It would just happen naturally.
    That way, my cavalry would be able to just breeze through your lines, instead of slowing down in the middle. Sometimes it's better to march AWAY than just calmly walk away.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    This explaination in perfect- the packing your gear idea. For spearmen, that'd just be stowing the shield and shouldering your spear. Most likely means breaking ranks too. Anyone that's ever been in any kind of marching formation will know that tight ranks are bad for speed.
    However- i have to know how dwarves are never march blocked. are they just fearless? it makes no sense in the fluff. they should get a penalty for getting charged after the march.

actually, anyone who gets charged after marched should take a penalty- they should do away with march blocking all together. It would just happen naturally.
    That way, my cavalry would be able to just breeze through your lines, instead of slowing down in the middle. Sometimes it's better to march AWAY than just calmly walk away.
    Maybe Dwarves are so sturdy that even when they are in rank and file they can still move properly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    I'd say drunk rather than fearless! :drinking:
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast