Librarium Online Forums banner

Need help assigning a point value to a unique special character.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  tuxedo clank 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a special character players will occasionally get to use in a tournament I'm going to run.

I'd love help assigning him a generic point value as best we can to be used when players get to control him.

I have the rules done up, he's accesable to all players depending on what decisions they make at certain points... BUT I don't know how much to charge them for him against their points when he shows up on their side in some scenarios.

Theoretically any player might find him aiding them, depending on what scenarios the winners pick next at certain points, and what events have been trigged by winners/losers of previous games. I don't think specifically any Chaos players will make the choices that wind up with him being the bonus, but I'm not kidding when I say anyone is a possible recipient. (My friend worked up the event chart, and while Empire, High Elf, Lizardmen, Dwarves, and VC are the most likely candidates due to certain events, virtually every non-Chaos army has almost as much chance as they do).

Now in some games I'll be controlling him to do a specific thing, in those cases, the player won't be charged points.

BUT in some games, the players will be given control of him fully for the whole game

Yes this is hard (why I'm here instead of guesstimating myself), because he could end up in any army, of any build, and clearly as a caster he's more valueable or useless to some then others... although it is the players choice in that case to take him over their/one of their normal Lord choice. [Players submit 4.5K lists... the games are at a smaller value, but the armies used in smaller games must be units on that 4.5K list. So army lists can change game to game, but only within a limited range... and the final battle IS 4.5K]

The following is his stats (the ROUGH template is an Empire Wizard Lord, but he's clearly superior).

Stat Line
M- 4
WS- 4
BS- 4
S- 3
T- 4
W- 3
I- 4
A- 2
Ld- 8

Normal Rules
Level 4 Wizard, Scout
Effectively is a Lord level character, can join units, so on so forth.

Gear
1.) Repearter Pistol
2.) Magic hand weapon (no rules, but can effect creatures that require magic to hit, and counts in all other respects as a normal hand weapon)
3.) Magic armor (5+ armor, 5+ ward save, magic resist 1)
4.) Enchanted Item: +1 Casting rolls

Special Rules
1.) May ignore the first miscast effect he rolls per game, though the spell fails.
2.) If he is personally in CC at the start of an opposing players turn, then his army gets +1 to dispel dice rolls
3.) Gets 4 spells through a unique method. Rolls once on the Lore of Shadows, and PICKS once from the lore of shadows. Rolls once on the Lore of Metal, and PICKS once from the Lore of Metal. (SO 1 random spell, and 1 picked spell from each, 4 total). The random spells are rolled using normal rules, and done first, so they can default to the 1st spell in the list if desired.

His value should be at LEAST 200 I'm sure.

Other then that... well... I can somewhat compare him to Balthasar but that's about it. No idea from there what to charge for him, and techincally ole' Master of Alchemy gets a mount so I'm all off even with that.

See less See more
#3 ·
Close Combat.

Essentially, when the enemy magic phase rolls around, if he has 1 or more enemy models in base to base with him, then his army gets +1 on it's dispel dice rolls.

#4 ·
Update...

1.) I've been assuming a base of around 370 pts for him until I get some feedback.

2.) I may add a rule where at the start of a game he can roll a d6, and certain 'sabotage' style things can happen to his foe... if I do clearly he will cost more. I'm holding off to see how pricey people think he is now.

Other then that he's pretty finalized stat/effect wise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.