Librarium Online Forums banner

WoC fluff thought

941 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hashulaman 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am pretty sure this question I have should go in this fluff section. Im new to reading up on fluff and whatnot so sorry in advance if this doesnt fit.

But anyways I finally took a look at and read up on the WoC fluff and was wondering about how their fluff turns over to game play on the table top. Chaos mortals seem to worship their gods with die hard loyalty. Through worshiping these chaos gods they gain horrible mutations, lose their humane pleasures, and many end up losing their minds due to overexosure to the chaos gifts and whatnot. But still these warriors worship their gods and do almost everything they can to please them no matter what.

My question is with such loyal warriors giving up their humanity and even sanity to please their gods does it make sense for them to flee from a unit in combat? With all of their sacrifices that they have made throughout their lives does it make sense to flee from an enemy and disgrace themselves with thier gods watching? I am not trying to complain about the WoC list in any way but other lists such as deamons for example who carry a lot of fear and ward save units due to fluff and other armies that carry many fear units ect due to fluff. It seems like WoC would have an army wide stubborn or even unbreakable rule. They can reroll panic tests but doesnt stop them from fleeing combat.

Now I know this would be overpowered if acctually done but do you guys think it makes sense fluff wise?

See less See more
#2 ·
Would it help that instead of panicking and fleeing from combat, you thought of it as more a tactical withdrawal - breaking away from an unfavourable combat to reform and attack in a more favourable situation.

#3 ·
Maybe the crushing defeat bestowed upon them by their enemies breaks their faith for a moment? Or breaks through the insanity that has settled on them, at least!

Thus, they flee. They might regain their resolve/insanity once out of danger, and thus go back in to battle.

I kind of agree with your points, but I'm trying to reason why they'd run - this is all I can think of at the moment.

#4 ·
Exactly, consider it a tactical withdraw. They aren't scared, but they aren't stupid. They're going to fall back and try again under better conditions. Maybe after they throw some cannon-fodder Marauders in there first.
Remember, they DO get a bonus against panic. Whenever they take casualties, they roll to see if they really retreat. They're smart enough and dedicated enough to know that retreating under missile fire just means more missile fire, and they're not very afraid of anyone.

#5 ·
Ya I never took into account for tactical retreats. I guess I had the will of the Khorne god fresh in my mind. He is the blood god and cares not the source of the blood but that it flows greatly.

Tactical retreat can work but that would still allow for the chance at being ran down by their enemies. How would the warriors feel dieing by being stabed in the back as they run from the enemy while under the gaze of their great gods.

#6 ·
I never see Khorne warriors doing that though. They'd run headlong screaming into a certain death if it meant blood for the blood god and skulls for the skull throne.

Nurlge i dunno

Tzeentch I can see making a tactical retreat since it can be part of some larger plan that noon except Tzeentch knows.

Slannesh, well they are immune to panic anyways so it doesnt matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.