Acceptable peice of fluff? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Royal_Marine_Machine's Avatar
    The Room Next To Wolf Lord Herby/Nottingham
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Acceptable peice of fluff?

Hey,

My dwarf quarrlers (crossbowmen) Don't actually have great weapons on the model, but I pretty much need them to have great weapons to make my army able to do some damage when the enemy get close.

So I was thinking, and I thought, well, what would a Dwarf want to make his crossbow out of? Metal obviously. Except that metal doesn't bend that easily! Dwarfs are masters of metal however, surely they've mastered at least simply alloying techniques? A quick blend of steel and aluminium maybe? This would lead to a flexible bow, especialy if it also had steel wire as the string.

Now then, a massive metal club landing on your head will hurt, alot! Surely this could count as a great weapon?

Would you guys accept this peice of fluff (even though it's the sort of thing I dislike, trying to fit fluff around an army)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

I can't see Dwarfs treating their weapons in this way personally. Seems more like the kind of thing an Ogre would do.

But then I wouldn't insist crossbow men had to be modelled with Great Weapons.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    I can't see Dwarfs treating their weapons in this way personally. Seems more like the kind of thing an Ogre would do.

But then I wouldn't insist crossbow men had to be modelled with Great Weapons.
    I'd tend to agree here. Crossbows are pretty sturdy, but not as sturdy as a heft hammer or axe, certainly even metal crossbows would be shattered or crushed when met with "real" great weapons.

If you want to give them GW, I would simply starp the weapons to their back or else maybe have a stand occupied by a few axes stacked in a mini-pyramid that will be handed out "once the enemy gets close"..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

The Problem is I have no spare axes

and I think that Dwarves could make sturdy enough crossbows - they may even design them to be used as great weapons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Marine_Machine View Post
    The Problem is I have no spare axes

and I think that Dwarves could make sturdy enough crossbows - they may even design them to be used as great weapons!
    Well, i guess what most of the other posters (and me too) mean is that a crossbow and a great weapon are incompatible because of their design: an axe needs to be sharp and be inflexable. A crossbow would not bend back properly if it has an edge on it's front side and needs to be very flexable.

So a crossbow with a sharp bow would not fire properly, nor would a semi-flexible axe.

Quite apart from the fact that it would be like swinging an m16 like a club, you may hit someone but you won't be able to fire it again: the mechanism is too fragile.

Dwarves could easily make a combo xbow/great weapon, it would just not work.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Only because the M16 is too fragile a weapon, and that is it's major downfall.

Dwarfs are clever than the US army boffins and could easily make a stronger Mechanism, and an alloyed Bow could take the strain of walloping an elf.

Some races use Clubs as great weapons, made out of wood. The point of the alloy is to keep something hard and malleable, and it would be stronger than wood!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

So far, three posters have told you that they wouldn't buy the idea of a "crossbow-as-a-gw". However, you keep providing the same argument. If you want them to have greatweapons, then just say that they have greatweapons. Alot of the WSYWIG stuff from 40k doesn't apply to fantasy.
    Of course, you can always buy bits from someone, or from an online supplier and make the stack of axes, or you can just say that they are carrying greatweapons and leave the argument alone- without ever needing to represent this.
    Besides, in a friendly game, I doubt anyone will care if the weapons are repped or not.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    If you want them to have greatweapons, then just say that they have greatweapons. Alot of the WSYWIG stuff from 40k doesn't apply to fantasy.
    Agreed, it's not that big a deal if you want to just go ahead and do it, and besides it's your money, your minis, do what ever the [George W Bush] you want!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

My main problem with the idea wouldn't be could it be done but would dwarfs do it.

Dwarfs are traditionalists, especially the ones who use crossbows. And as any dwarf knows an axe is an axe and a crossbow is a crossbow and never the twain shall meet.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

+ Reply to Thread