The West Ind Trading Company - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

The West Ind Trading Company

The West Ind Trading Company is one of Marienburg's oldest and most prosperous companies. The company has survived 3 occupations of the city, in part due to a special relationship with the Western Elves of Ulthuan but mostly due to their highly successful negotiating policy, which consists of paying large bribes to whoever will accept them.

The current Directeur, Lord Caspar van der Kuypers is the twelfth to bear that title. He ascended to the position after the unfortunate and untimely death of his father, the former Directeur.

Back in the mist of time (or so it seemed to the Marienburgers) the company acquired the shattered remains of what had once been a steam tank of the Imperial Corps of Engineers. Records are uncertain but it is believed to have been purchased from a Norse trader. What is certain is what the Company acquired was little more than a pile of scrap metal, a metal shell containing little more than a collection of broken valves and shredded pipe systems. The hull of the tank became nothing more than a conversation piece adorning the entrance hall to the company Head quarters.

It was the vision of Lord Josef van der Kuypers, 11th Directeur of the Company, and Caspar's father to see the tank restored to working order, but who could perform such a feat of engineering legerdemain? Enter the notorious Fraggi Firemane, a dwarf of singular genius, if slightly unhinged. Fraggi had been forced to flee from the hold of Zhufbar are a serious of explosions from his laboratory threatened to bring down the entire hold. Several weeks after the last incident, which had resulted in over two weeks work by the mining corps to shore up the Hold's foundations, Fraggi was exiled from dwarf lands.

Finding his home, as many felons do, in the fair port city of Marienburg, Fraggi opened a little shop, selling inventive black powder devices. Fraggi has been forced to move across the city several times after some of his more explosive experiments have attracted the attention of the local Black cap patrol.

It was to Fraggi that the late lord van der Kuypers came and commissioned to restore the steam tank to full working condition. The proposal intrigued Fraggi and he set to the task with a will. After more than 3 years work Fraggi asserted that the tank was ready to begin field trials. Sadly on the first test a steam cylinder misfired, enveloping the late Lord van der Kuypers with boiling hot steam. It was Fraggi's assertion that he had simply been standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, although several senior board members darkly suggested that the "wrong place" was likely to be anywhere within half a mile of the tank.

Upon the death of his father, Caspar was selected to lead the company and bade Fraggi continue with his endeavours, though he was careful not to attend the testing experiments in person. After another two years company engineers were of the opinion that the tank was potentially safe enough to be used in the field. For his services Fraggi was guaranteed a company wage and kept on to pilot and maintain the steam tank, in the complete absence of any other volunteers.

Last edited by Spiney Norman; June 29th, 2009 at 18:12.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Super cool fluff, great way to explain a Steam tank in a Marienburger army, might use that reasoning myself! Clear written and it feels real.

REP.

One little tip, if i may: Call the CEO a "Directeur". It's the dutch word for it and sounds a little older.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Thanks for the tip, I've modified it appropriately.

Actually, I was wondering if you could help me with a little translation work. Being English I have rather poor modern language skill. The motto for my army is "War is good for business", but it'd be much cooler to paint on to the models in Dutch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney Norman View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I've modified it appropriately.

Actually, I was wondering if you could help me with a little translation work. Being English I have rather poor modern language skill. The motto for my army is "War is good for business", but it'd be much cooler to paint on to the models in Dutch.
    "Oorlog is goed voor zaken" or perhaps "Bloed is Geld" (blood is money).

I like your idea of painting on these creed's. I had somewhat the same idea, the greatswords will have the creed: "Geen stap terug" (No step back) and my BSB will have "ick overkom" (I overcome).
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool! I'd love to see more! I'm a big fan of the Netherlands and Dutch history, so seeing this made me happy. Consider yourself repped.
    Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.
    We are few but strong in will
    The last with pagan blood
    We fought the world with burning steel
    Now we sit in Hall of Gods

+ Reply to Thread