Fluff Question - What is the Anti-Chaos Gods in Warhammer Fantasy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff Question - What is the Anti-Chaos Gods in Warhammer Fantasy?

I'm a 40k player mostly so please don't take it out on me regarding this stupid question

In 40k, the Emperor is nemesis of the Chaos Gods; what is the "Emperor-equivalent" in Fantasy? I'm thinking its Sigmar, but somehow he doesn't seem to be as "overdone" as the Emperor....
    I'd also appreciate some fluff (if any) regarding this topic, and perhaps something about the religions of the Empire. Doing it to help write some fluff I'm working on.

Thanks!

Last edited by Joasht; August 24th, 2009 at 18:02.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Warhammer isn't as "cut and dry" as 40k. Really, 40k's fluff only focuses on the Emperor because 40k's fluff only focuses on Space Marines, and in extension, mankind.

In Fantasy, there really aren't any gods who oppose Chaos. The "Old Ones," who are responsible for the creation of the gateway, have long since vanished or died. Sigmar is more or less a "Jesus" figure, who was a powerful mortal who eventually just wandered away from it all. The High Elf gods are believed to still be living, and the High Elves do a great deal to combat the power of Chaos, with the aid of the Lizardmen. Dwarf gods are rarely extended upon- same goes for most of the other races.

The most active god who fought against Chaos, was actually a Chaos god who was phased out of the fluff. Named Malal, he represented Chaos's penchant for self destruction, and therefore, he actually fought against Chaos, using Chaos against itself. However, he was a chaos god himself, so I don't know if he counts... especially since he no longer exists in any official fluff.

In fantasy, there is far less focus on religion. In 40k, the entire game is based off of the Gothic age, and therefore has a strong tie to the darker aspects of Catholicism. In WHFB, it is more of a 'low fantasy' edge, and plays more to hero worship than actual religious appeal.

Unless you are looking for a particular story or fluff hook, it would be best to just avoid pondering things like this. The fluff of WHFB focuses more on how fallible the races are, and the truth that there is no defined good or evil, but that all of the races exist in a "gray area" somewhere in between.
    So before I can help further, I have to ask: why are you asking?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend and I are thinking of making a somewhat "religious" army, without it being a Sigmarite army.

I've gone through some fluff I found, it seems there are far more Gods in the Old World than in 40k, and most of them appear to be alive and kicking, although the Old Ones have (as usual) disappeared.

Would it be a stretch to make up another God for fluff purposes, given that there are so many deities, and theres a chance some humans may decide to worship something else?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

That would be fine. The main human dieties within the fluff are:
    Imperial Gods
    Sigmar- Jesus meets Charlemagne
    Ulrik- think norse, with the god of wolves and winter (the White Wolves worship these guys)
    Morr- the god of death
    ----
    Brettonia
    The Lady- the lady in the lake, life, rivers, etc.

Those are the gods that I know of with existing fluff. There are also gods to those humans living in Araby. It is quite possible that there might be humans worshiping a different god than normal, especially in areas like the Border Princes where the Imperial Cult isn't as strong. Some of these gods may be genuine gods, but more likely, they are powerful individuals like the Great Necromancer- Nagash. Alternatively, they are also quite likely to be misrepresentations of the Chaos gods. The god who grants you strength in battle might well be Khorne, and you won't know until you start turning red and growing horns.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skaven follow the Horned Rat as a deity, pretty much sure that it's another chaos god.

Tomb Kings as far as I can tell pretty much follow Egyptian mythology exactly. If you look through their army book a great deal of gods are listed which pretty much match the Egyptians with minor spelling differences, Ptah (Ptra) Nutt(Nut) Ra (Rah) Khepra, Sett and so on.

Orcs and Goblins have Gork (fighty but cunnin) and Mork (cunnin but fighty)
    (I think I have those correct)

I think Ogres worship some kind of mouth out on the desert. Not sure on other deities.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflebob View Post
    Skaven follow the Horned Rat as a deity, pretty much sure that it's another chaos god.
    I always thought of it as just another standard god (like those of every other race), and if not that then an aspect of Tzeench.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    I always thought of it as just another standard god (like those of every other race), and if not that then an aspect of Tzeench.
    The biggest problem with that is the Verminlord. Skaven can actually summon chaos demons that fight with them that take the form of a horned rat.

While its possible the Horned Rat could be an aspect of Tzeench it seems unlikely as their goals are somewhat at odds. The Horned Rat's agenda pretty much involves the destruction of all non-skaven. They've already tried and failed to destroy the entire world at least once.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflebob View Post
    The Horned Rat's agenda pretty much involves the destruction of all non-skaven. They've already tried and failed to destroy the entire world at least once.
    Tzeench wouldn't be himself if he wasn't plotting against himself...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Tzeench wouldn't be himself if he wasn't plotting against himself...
    But he would have known he would be plotting against himself, so he would have to plot against his counter plots...
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, following this logic you could really claim that anything is an aspect of Tzeench. Khorne, Slaanesh, Sigmar. They could all just be Tzeench plotting against himself.

Just because Tzeench is a master of plotting and planning doesn't mean that he's behind every plot twist and shady character.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast