Community debate #2: Which Chaos army is the best? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Community debate #2: Which Chaos army is the best?

Time for another community debate after the last one ended in a * cough, dwarfs won! * draw. This time about Chaos. We have 3 chaos armies; Beastmen, mortals and daemons. Which one is the best?

- I think this is a toughy, because now that the new beastmen book has been released their fluff has had an immense overhaul, and they aren't just raiders and chaos rank & file anymore, they are an incredible danger to the empire, there are as many, if not more, beastmen in the old world as humans!

- Mortals are also powerfull, although the majority by far of their armies are marauders, and they aren't that strong. Slightly more muscled than the average state troop and no match for a soldier of the elder races; A saurus, elf or dwarf warrior.

- Daemons are insane, and they are the strongest armybook as well currently ( untill 8th edition shows up anyway ) , they are immensely powerfull, but they are restricted, they can't be in the mortal world all the time, and can't go everywhere, their existence in this world depends on the strenght of the winds of magic. The different daemonic factions also show considerable animosity towards eachother and it's hard to get them to fight united unless behind the banner of an everchosen. Often enough the leaders of daemonic forces have stabbed/hacked eachother in the back. There is an example of it in the daemon book where Skarbrand, a bloodthirster, kills his ally, a great unclean one, because he was about to kill the leader of the empire army and Skarbrand wanted that. This infighting cost him the battle when he was ripped to pieces by all the artillery in the empire lines.

Discuss!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

quik-quik, kill-kill! The bearded one's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    585 (x8)

Ye poor sods, still reeling from the dwarfs' victory last debate? * nudge nudge, stab stab *

You must have some form of opinion, you guys have an opinion about everything

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I think it's probably more to do with the recent forum down time rather than an unwillingness to participate. I say the dwarfs are responsible.

To be honest, I'm not sure where to go with this one. I haven't really followed the latest beastman fluff, not the daemons. I've always preferred the mixed approach, al a the Hordes of Chaos Army Book...

In terms of the potential threat to the civilised forces, I suspect daemons are the worst of the lot. Sure they probably aren't as numerous, but they can be so insidious and destructive with very little effort, playing on fear and phobias and destroying from within. They're very difficult to combat, and it can only take a moment of weakness from one mortal to cause all manner of trouble. But they've never struck me as an army. As The Bearded One pointed out in his opening post, they're constantly fighting amongst themselves, even when so close to achieving their victory. They're all for themselves, most of the time, and it doesn't sit right with me that you can now have a whole army of them, because in my mind that's never been how they worked. I know GW doesn't exist to serve my whims and demands, but... I kind of felt they were going against their own lore with the Daemons army.

Anyway, that said, Daemons on their own don't strike me as the be all and end all of the Warhammer world. It's when the three factions come together... When the innumerable hordes of Chaos descend on the realm of man... That's when the real trouble starts. And that's why I like the combined army book rather than these stand-alone ones, because it delves in to that kind of thing and lets you represent that on the table. Maybe it's just me, though.

Realising at this point that I haven't really answered the question, I'll just go ahead and say I like Mortals the best. Something about that Chaos Armour...
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Best? I mean... I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "best". Is it my favorite army? In that case it's the Warriors of Chaos. Humans are always more easy to realte to in a Fantasy setting, and something about the path of damnation makes for a very interesting, and dramatic tale. Warriors of Chaos make excellent anti-heroes, living in a society that worships gods that simply do not care for your well-being.

Now then, if by "best" you mean the strongest, that defiantely goes to daemons. Though they are limited in the world, it is only a matter of time before the waystones created by the ahem... high elves, are cast down. No other army can match the nightmare that are daemons, the only hope for vicotry is to fight them off until their hold on the material world falls apart. Even then, the worst of the greater daemons just keep coming back again, and again, and again.

As far as threat goes, I give it to Beastmen. They are the ones that keep the constant pressure on. They are the ones who butcher entire towns, and make the civilized nations fight within their own borders. Beastmen are msot likely the ones that will see the end of civlization of the three.

I hope this is sueful in some way, but I'm not sure how to approach the topic when it's so broad.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best:
    Coolest? Defintitly the Chaos Warriors, those monsters look like they have been spending the last ten years in a gym. With armor as thick as a dwarfs skull, they are incredibly cool

Most Powerful: Daemons. If it wasnt for the Waystones that are saving everyones lives from these monsters (who created those again?), then the world would be overrun with hordes of them and it would be the end of our beloved game.

So, overall I prefer the WoC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Strongest aside, because it reeks of nerdgasm 'star destroyer versus enterprise' debates..

It's a tough choice, but I think beastmen are cool. The humans have moments of fluff brilliance intershot with 'angry barbarian' stereotypes (though I really like their wierd pseudo-norse view of the chaos gods). Beastmen to me always had a slightly lower key, more sinister vibe with their dark twisted forest thing and nursery rhyme monster potential.. Plus, it's not like they're not just living on a mutated tundra hundreds of miles away, they might be in your back garden burning your vegetable patch.

And Morghur takes the award for the most frigged up yet somehow awesome character evar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking deamons. Chaos are primarily meant to be a tough and strong army, that relies on its strength and toughness. And Daemons are the best at this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I go Warriors. Chaos was let loose on the world. When it met beasts, they turned into beastmen. Cool story bro. The Warriors fluff makes it seems as if the Chaos Gods are aspects of humanity made manifest by the unleashing of chaos. When chaos met man it twisted into a plethora of chaotic Gods so powerful they were able to will the daemons into existance. Without Warriors, there would be no Gods. No Gods, no daemons. Warriors win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tyland13 View Post
    Best:
    Coolest? Defintitly the Chaos Warriors, those monsters look like they have been spending the last ten years in a gym. With armor as thick as a dwarfs skull, they are incredibly cool

Most Powerful: Daemons. If it wasnt for the Waystones that are saving everyones lives from these monsters (who created those again?), then the world would be overrun with hordes of them and it would be the end of our beloved game.

So, overall I prefer the WoC.
    Wasnt it the High Elves who created them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbill View Post
    I go Warriors. Chaos was let loose on the world. When it met beasts, they turned into beastmen. Cool story bro.
    Picking at nits here, but I seem to remember (and I haven't read the new army book so it might have changed) that beastmen were formed from both men who 'devolved' and beasts who 'evolved' back when the warp gates first crashed and the entire world went mental for a bit.. It isn't just men who empower the gods either, all the races in the warhammer world do in their own way. Heck, elves and Slannesh go way back..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast