Stirland themed empire army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stirland themed empire army.

Allow me to introduce my Stirlandish army.

General Roberto Vladermiester is of course the leader and final word in all things warfare. At a young age while out on a hunt with his ward, Roberto stumbled across an egg left alone in the nest of a mighty Griffon, fearing for the life of the creature and that it's mother had abandoned it he took the egg back to his home and told his father. Furious with his son, and fearing that the beast would cause problems for the family he had the ward removed from service and sent his son to be trained at the army barracks. His other son Daffyth, he had been horrified at the events and had demanded that his father explain why he had acted so extremely. For his efforts Daffyth was sent off to become a member of the cult of sigmar and was trained under the scrutiny of a warrior priest close to his family.

To keep his name from further shame, Roberto's father sent the griffon egg off to a farm estate of the family's and swore that noone was to speak of it again. During his time in the military Roberto had excelled at strategic manouvers and quickly found himself promoted to the sergeant of his unit. After some time he made his way through the ranks to achieve the title of captain. It was however, his heroics at the battle of the hoe, where himself and one regiment of halberdiers single handedly held off attack of an undead force from assaulting a small farm until support arrived. Little did his father know that during this time Roberto had been sneaking back to the family estate to check on the well being of his rescued creature. The two had bonded closely and he would frequently be seen flying on the Fawn's (the name he had fondly given the beast) back, not that anyone would dare spread such rumours upon pain of death.

In his 3rd year as general of the force dire news spread to Roberto. His father had fallen in the dead of night and he rushed to see him. On his death bed his father bid Roberto go find his brother amongst the ranks of the priesthood and soon after died. Roberto did exactly this, he took Fawn and flew to the headquarters to find him. His brother, Daffyth had established himself a competent warrior priest and bid permission to leave the order in search of sigmar's enemies under the command of General Roberto. Now he is rarely seen without Fawn and Daffyth at his side as he strides above the army, scouting the lay of the land many leagues ahead of his force.

The army consists of:
    Roberto, armed with dragon bow, great weapon, dawnstone, full plate armour and silver horn. He sits atop Fawn his griffon.

Daffyth, Warrior priest and brother to Roberto, skilled in all manner of spiritual guidance.
    He wields a great weapon and wears the armour of meteoric iron.

Abbigale Oakwood, captain and bearer of the standard for the army.
    Wields the battle standard in full plate armour and enchanted shield

Horich Wildshaper
    Shapeshifter and master of beast magic.
    Level 2 battle wizard of life or beasts with rod of power.

Almarno Trise, expert engineer from Nuln, bearing his greatest invention to date, the hellblaster volley gun.
    He travels with the army due to a debt he will not speak of with anyone but Roberto.

State Halberdier regiment, Roberto has personally trained these troops to dismember the heaviest armoured of foes.
    30 halberdiers with armour piercing banner and command.
    Detatchment of archers deployed in loose formation.
    Detatchment of swordsmen, armed and trained by Roberto's own funds.

10 Huntsmen, Scouts for the force and skilled marksmen.

10 Crossbowmen, The anti-armour ranged unit, these guys can pick out the eye of a man in full plate from 30 paces.

6 Knights of the sacred scythe, permanent contingent at Roberto's request.
    Command

30 militia, recriuited from local populace to aid in the cause due to lack of alternatives.
    Command

State Greatsword regiment. Armed from Roberto's personal treasury at great expense, these are the elite infantry, trained to fight well even in dense terrain.
    Command and strider standard.
    Detatchment of archers

5 Pistoliers, members of the sacred order of the scythe, training to be fully fledged knights.

Mortar, standard issue mortar.

Hellblaster volley gun, Almarno's latest invention, a devastating piece of artillery.

(This is of course a work in progress).
    Constructive criticism welcome, will post pics of how the painting goes soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

1) Why the Italian and Welsh names? What's wrong with good Germanic / ANglo Saxon names?

2) What is Roberto's father? Is he the eldest son? What is a ward? A ward where I have heard it used is like someone who is being fostered by the family, e.g. a child of a close family friend. NOT as it seems here, a bodyguard. Things are important as it sets the financial context. And also probably tell us why he would:
    a) be anywhere near a Griffon nest (griffons nest high in mountain pases - to avoid predators...)
    b) would be able to recognise a Griffon egg as such rather than just make a meal of it...

3) If Roberto's father is a poor man, that would make sense for Roberto to be sent off into teh army as a poor bloody infantry man, but not that he wouldn't SELL teh egg rather than just send it to some farm somewhere..... If Roberto excels in strategic manouvres - that sounds like Jager school to me, NOT some PBI. He would be COMISSIONED into the army, normally at significant cost to himself, as a unit leader. Think of Gerorgian / Napoleonic English army structure - a military commission was prestigious and hence tradeable...

4) Not sure how quickly Griffons mature - I'd say nowhere near fast enough for your timescale for him to be able to ride it. You can't ride a horse or Lion that's only a couple of years old, generally...

5) Most Warhammer children either see their parents die on an incidental visit (Felix for exaple) or else hear about it many days/weeks/montsh later - there is not much chance of instantaneous communication apart from maybe magic in the WHFB world.

6) Empire generals do NOT grow on trees, contrary to popular opinion. Most are Barons or Viscounts or Earls or Grand Masters of knightly orders, again, prestige as well as startegic acumenm, understanding logistics etc. You don't get many young generals in the Empire....

7) Griffons do not STRIDE above an army (unless they are trampling said army) - they soar, glide, swoop etc not stride...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Why the Italian and Welsh names? What's wrong with good Germanic / ANglo Saxon names?
    I chose those names because I like them, I did not attempt to base them on any real world country whatsoever.
    2) What is Roberto's father? Is he the eldest son? What is a ward? A ward where I have heard it used is like someone who is being fostered by the family, e.g. a child of a close family friend. NOT as it seems here, a bodyguard. Things are important as it sets the financial context. And also probably tell us why he would:
    A ward can mean a guard or protector also.
    a) be anywhere near a Griffon nest (griffons nest high in mountain pases - to avoid predators...)
    The world's edge mountains are on the borders of stirland so I don't see why he couldn't be hunting there.
    b) would be able to recognise a Griffon egg as such rather than just make a meal of it...
    Being that this is the main location that Griffons are found (according to the army book for empire) I would imagine it to be common knowledge to those nearby that Griffons exist there. Also, an egg of the size I would imagine a Griffon's egg would likely rule out the possibility of other birds.
    3) If Roberto's father is a poor man, that would make sense for Roberto to be sent off into teh army as a poor bloody infantry man, but not that he wouldn't SELL teh egg rather than just send it to some farm somewhere..... If Roberto excels in strategic manouvres - that sounds like Jager school to me, NOT some PBI. He would be COMISSIONED into the army, normally at significant cost to himself, as a unit leader. Think of Gerorgian / Napoleonic English army structure - a military commission was prestigious and hence tradeable...
    His father is wealthy for a Stirland noble. Hence the ability to fund many of the weapons that his army carries on certain units himself. However, he would still be considered a poor man by nobles of other provinces due to their prejudices towards Stirland.
    4) Not sure how quickly Griffons mature - I'd say nowhere near fast enough for your timescale for him to be able to ride it. You can't ride a horse or Lion that's only a couple of years old, generally...
    Poor wording on my part, I meant for 10 or so years to have passed before Roberto began to make any kind of name for himself.
    5) Most Warhammer children either see their parents die on an incidental visit (Felix for exaple) or else hear about it many days/weeks/montsh later - there is not much chance of instantaneous communication apart from maybe magic in the WHFB world.
    Again, poor wording on my part. His father was sick for quite some time which would allow time for a messenger to find him.
    6) Empire generals do NOT grow on trees, contrary to popular opinion. Most are Barons or Viscounts or Earls or Grand Masters of knightly orders, again, prestige as well as startegic acumenm, understanding logistics etc. You don't get many young generals in the Empire....
    Ok, I'll keep that in mind.
    7) Griffons do not STRIDE above an army (unless they are trampling said army) - they soar, glide, swoop etc not stride
    Yeah, definately need to re-word that. I didn't mean for this to be written like a story but more a general overview of the army's background.

I expect it will take many attempts for me to be happy with the background, I've not really done anything like this before and my knowledge of empire's background is limited to the book 'Rieksguard' and the army book for them so bare with me a little

Thanks for the comments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

No worris - a ward is NOT a guardian though - in this context it is the act of guarding or a minor/incompetent person. I'm aware that Stirland is near the Worlds Edge mountains, just that unless he was out to specifically hunt something that lives on rocky outcrops, he wouldn't want to be near a Griffon nest.... Maybe he saw a fatal fight between a griffon and a Wyvern or other beastie? And deliberately went to find the nest?

Griffons may be located in Stirland - but they are by no means common.

Still no real reaso why the father is angry at the purchase of a griffon. If the father is a noble, then the son would be eitehr shipped off to the Knightly orders or to a military academy, not the local barracks... which certainly wouldn't teach him what he'd need to be a general. In Medieval and Renaissance armies, you had to be one helluva professional soldier to get anywhere near comissioned ranks. Eve in Napoleonic times this was the case, and now, the highest rank that an NCO can reach is certainly not general - e.g. Sergeant Major in the British Army is a very senior NCO rank, but still ranks below a comissioned rank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not common no, I meant common knowledge as in people are aware of their presence. Kind of like people know that a certain animal might live somewhere without having seen it themselves through hearsay.Probably more rumour than knowledge really.

The reason the father was angry was because he was worried the Griffon might come looking for its young. I like the idea of the wyvern thing, maybe I'll do something similiar, a reason for him hunting in that specific location would be good but I wasn't too sure what kinds of animals would be living there, despite the obvious human world presumptions. I might come up with a story regarding a family tradition of going into the mountain regions and coming back with proof of a worthy kill, kind of like a rite of passage. It also wouldn't mix with potential issues due to empire lore because it is a family tradition and entirely seperate. Feeling ambitious he goes looking at the highest peaks and something draws him there. Could work. Will need some time though to sort out the story anyway, not got that kind of time at work hehe. Obviously would have to adjust the relationship with the father to fit with that.

I will work on the military side of things a bit too. I'm a bit of a pasifist so my knowledge of military structure is largely zero With commisioning, I presume that is more the sort of thing that is done by request, rather than deciding to do it?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I chose those names because I like them, I did not attempt to base them on any real world country whatsoever.
    Actually, if you visit south/west wales (particularly the coastal areas around Tenby) you will find a large Italian immigrant community - so this isn't such a big deal at all (although it does sound odd if they are brothers.....best friends maybe?

If you don't believe me about the Italians in wales then how about Joe Calzaghe the boxer? prime example......

With commisioning, I presume that is more the sort of thing that is done by request, rather than deciding to do it?
    Erm....not really, but you're looking in the right direction at least. Here:

Commissioned officers derive authority directly from a sovereign power and, as such, hold a commission charging them with the duties and responsibilities of a specific office or position. Commissioned officers are typically the only persons, in a military environment, able to act as the commanding officer (according to the most technical definition of the word) of a military unit. A superior officer is an officer with a higher rank than another officer. A commisioned officer is not drafted/enlisted (usually) in any way, moreover he has elected to join the forces and has spent time in a training establishment gaining formal qualifications. Officers require Secondary Education to A-Level standard and 85% of officers have a degree. Commissioning for Officers occurs after a 1 year course at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst for regular officers or the Territorial Army Commissioning Course for Territorial Army Officers, or for Royal Navy and Royal Air Force candidates, an equivalent period at either Britannia Royal Naval College or the RAF College Cranwell respectively. Royal Marines Officers receive their training in the Command Wing of the Commando Training Centre Royal Marines. The courses consist of not only tactical and combat training, but also leadership, management and international affairs training

An NCO (non-commissioned officer) is someone rewarded with extra responsibility after rising through the enlisted ranks, usually after "signing up" as an infantryman/seaman or similar rank. An NCO will not normally be able to command anything above a small unit. (Small in real-life military terms that is - this doesn't always translate well to warhammer!). In the UK the highest rank of NCO is Regimental Sergeant-Major (RSM) - It is virtually impossible to rise above this rank without VERY special circumstances being applied.

The rank system for British Army NCO's (in Other Ranks or OR's) -starting at the bottom of the pile- is:

OR1/OR2. PRIVATE (OR EQUIVALENT DEPENDING ON REGIMENT....... Airtrooper (Atpr) - Army Air Corps, Bugler (Bgr) - Buglers in The Rifles and formerly also in other Rifle regiments, Craftsman (Cfn) - Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (women as well as men use this rank),Drummer (Dmr) - Drummers in infantry regiments, Fusilier (Fus) - Fusilier regiments, Gunner (Gnr) - Royal Artillery, Guardsman (Gdsm) - Foot Guards, Highlander (Hldr) - The Highlanders, Kingsman (Kgn) - Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, Marine or Bandsman, as appropriate equivalent rank- Royal Marines, Musician (Mus) - Military bands (formerly called Bandsman), Piper (Ppr) - Bagpipers in Scottish and Irish regiments, Ranger (Rgr)- Royal Irish Regiment and Royal Irish Rangers, Rifleman (Rfn) - Rifle regiments, Sapper (Spr) - Royal Engineers, Signaller (Sig) - Royal Corps of Signals (formerly called Signalman), Trooper (Tpr) - Household Cavalry, Royal Armoured Corps, Special Air Service and Honourable Artillery Company, Trumpeter (Tptr) - Trumpeters in the Household Cavalry (and formerly in all cavalry regiments))..

OR3. LANCE CORPORAL/ LANCE-BOMBARDIER (Artillery)
    OR4/OR5. CORPORAL/ BOMBARDIER (Artillery)
    OR6. SERGEANT
    OR7. STAFF SERGEANT (Infantry) / COLOUR SERGEANT
    OR8. WARRANT OFFICER 2 - COMPANY SERGEANT MAJOR / WARRANT OFFICER 2 - QUARTERMASTER SERGEANT (Stores)
    OR9. WARRANT OFFICER 1 - REGIMENTAL SERGEANT MAJOR / WARRANT OFFICER 1 - CONDUCTOR (Royal Logistics Corps).

There is a "glass ceiling" here - in other words it is impossible to rise above OR9 (Warrant Officer 1st class) without gaining a commission as detailed previously. Its pretty unheard of in the modern (post WWII national service) army to win a commission after serving in the "Other ranks".
    Most (if not all) Officers are commissioned before entering service.

Basically a commission is given by the ruling/living Monarch. A Warrant is similiar to a commission, but is given by senior commissioned officers as a sign of authority to Other Ranks - much like a Judge will sign a police Warrant allowing them to act.

Bear in mind the ranks above apply to the army and not the RAF or navy who have their own names from some ranks - like Flying Officer, Flight Sergeant, Senior Rating, etc etc. - but then the navy/raf are after all support services at the end of the day (just kidding!!!!).
    Last edited by Fantasticmrfox; November 22nd, 2010 at 16:29.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Good riposte - I like the rite of passage - instead of killing the creature - he runs away with an egg and the associated expense of rearing the cub (maybe Griffons are protected by Imperial decree / local law??).

He rears the cub till he gets sent to military academy as is tradition for elder sons (second sons often go into the Clergy - so there would be no reason for the father to kick out the younger son - it would be an almost default choice), and then is comissioned into the State army of Nuln, along with a unit of Halberdiers. All the while his pet is being reared and is bankrupting his father as it consumes more meat than his farms can produce, and they have a fractious relationship. Roberto manages to break the Griffon in as a mount, and als brings it into State service (and the butchers bill passes to teh Elector of Stirland!).

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Forgot to say:

Commissioned Officers (or OF's) in the British Army are - from the most junior;

Field/Company Officers -

OF1. 2nd Lieutenant / Lieutenant (often mistakenly referred to as "Full" or "1st")
    OF2. Captain (like James blunt! urrrrgh - wtf???? So much for standards eh?)
    OF3. Major
    OF4. Lieutenant-Colonel
    OF5. Colonel

General Officers -

OF6. Brigadier
    OF7. Major-General
    OF8. Lieutenant-General
    OF9. General
    OF10. Field Marshal (usually reserved for times of war and VERY rare nowadays).

(The Army Chief of General Staff is a TITLE, not a RANK as is commonly and mistakenly thought - the current Chief of Staff is a Field-Marshal as is quite usual).

Hope all this helps you understand the army a bit better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Regarding the names - I can see Roberto as potetnially being something found in Stirland due to proximity of Tliea, again possibly. But Daffyth would generally be found in Welsh equivalent armies - either a Bretonnian army with an old Breton tilt, or an Albion army. Geographically teh Old World is still a very large and very isolated place, the only foreigners to be found widely in the EMpire are the Tileans as Mercs or Kislevites (the same)

+ Reply to Thread