How Magic worked before the Fall - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Magic worked before the Fall

Just wanted to ask if anyone knows how magic is different now, present day Warhammer, compared to when the Old Ones and the First Generation Slanns ran around.
    If i remember correctly the Wind of Magic all originate from the Warp.So if it all came from that place, how did they work if the warp was closed?
    Also, they seemed pretty dam powerfull, those old guys, was it because magic worked differently or is it because they were just First Generation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

probs just because they are First Generation (plus it means that they are fighting fire with fire!)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Well the warp is always there, out of phase with our universe - and the collapsed polar gates are a hole into that reality. There wouldn't have been winds of magic streaming down from the north before the fall, but I imagine that didn't matter to the old ones.

Most of the slann magic is more twisting reality with freaky maths isn't it? I'm not up on my lizardmen but that's what I get from the novels... which I guess wouldn't use the winds.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what i remember, was it not that when the warp was opened chaos was introduced? It would make sense that there would have been winds of magic, but untainted by chaos. I guess there still would be energy though, allowing for the use of magic by the slann. However, if the old ones did what theydid, wouldnt really make sense that they needed the winds for magic anyways.
    Warlord Grimtoof Dwarfchewer
    check out my WAAAAGH!!! Grimtoof WiP here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...-grimtoof.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDow View Post
    Just wanted to ask if anyone knows how magic is different now, present day Warhammer, compared to when the Old Ones and the First Generation Slanns ran around.
    If i remember correctly the Wind of Magic all originate from the Warp.So if it all came from that place, how did they work if the warp was closed?
    Also, they seemed pretty dam powerfull, those old guys, was it because magic worked differently or is it because they were just First Generation?
    Its not just them. The books are clear that the magic wielded by Caledor and the original mages now trapped on the Island of the Dead are much more potent then anything that has come since. The books also makes clear after the Vortex was created, that many wizards were completely stripped of their magic and there was a general "leveling down" of all wizards in the Warhammer World.

So I think before the crash of the Slann warp gates, that magic was more controlled and regulating, but spread to the entire world. The collapse of the gates allowed an uncontrolled magic to spread thru out the world, that was ended by the vortex.

I think Nagash's creation of the Black Pyramid, designed to suck the winds of black magic to his realm, had something to do with the spread of magic since then.

+ Reply to Thread