Research thread for my Bretonian army fluff. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Research thread for my Bretonian army fluff.

as the title says.

I'm doing some research for my new army (Bretonian). and I hope you Fluff-Gods and All Knowing Fluffmasters can help me out.

My army will be build around groups of knights (Knights of the Realm and Questing Knights mostly), backed up by archers and 1 or 2 Damsels and later on a Trebuchet, no men at arms.
    I'll be fighting vs Dark Elves mostly, and have the idea of my army on some sort of crusade vs the DE.

questions/problems I currently have are:
    is it possible to crusade against the Dark Elves? if so were would it probably take place? from what I understand, the DE are seperated from the main land..
    why would the Damsel participate in it?
    and I noticed most Bretonian names are French-ish, and in my opinion, horrible, would it be odd to give my characters a more Empire sounding name? ( Damian Veldhoff, from my VC fluff springs to mind)

thanks for the help.
    leafy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

The map of the realm of WHFB is very similar to a map of the actual world we live in. I don't know if it was a creative ploy, or just laziness on the part of the developers, but at any rate, go grab a globe for this.
    Looking at Europe, you'll see Germany and the surrounding German/Germanic speaking states. That's the Empire. To the west of that, along the coastlines and including all of France, is Bretonnia. Strange that they would name this Bretonnia, unless they're trying to relive the glory days when English kings held much of the French countryside, but whatever - England/Ireland has been renamed Albion. Spain and historic Gaul are now Estalia.

Spin the glob a bit and you'll come to the Americas. This is 'The New World'. South America is Lustria, home of the Lizardmen. North America, mostly the Southwest, is occupied by races which don't currently exist in the game. The only playable faction from this area is are the Vampires, who have the small settlement "The Vampire Coast" in North Carolina (the stomping ground of the famous pirate Blackbeard), about halfway up the United States coastline. Canada, and much of New England is where you'll find the Dark Elves.

Historically in GW fluff, the Bretonians aren't recorded as ever leaving Bretonia to fight the Dark Elves. They've sailed to Lustria before, to loot the Lizardmen temples, as well as charging into Araby (North Africa) during the Errantry Wars, the closest thing they have to the Papal Crusades. That doesn't mean that they don't fight against Dark Elves on a regular basis however - the Dark Elf nation is a nation of 'Reavers', meaning that they're little better than organized pirates, and the Black Arks and slave-fleets will often ply the coastline of the Old World to capture humans and drag them back to Nagaroth to serve as slave labor.

What I find a little strange is the reversal in settlement between Estalia (Spain/Portugal) and Bretonia (France). Historically, the French settled Canada, looking for the Northwest Passage, while Spain and Portugal conquered South America. Granted, Estalia is not a playable race, but I just find it interesting.
    I guess you could look up actual stories and accounts of the French in Canada, and write about a Bretonian Lord who has decided that he is going to ferret out the secret entrances to the underground sea (a naturally formed 'sewer system -like' collection of flooded tunnels stretching beneath the world) that the Dark Elves use to send their fleets anywhere in the world virtually undetected. He could be acting on information gained from the Dwarfs, who also make use of the tunnel system in order to ship things out of their empire (although they have a major port at Barak Varr in the South, and the overland route is much safer than the tunnels). The intent might be to get traders through to Cathay, without having to sail around the coast of Araby, Khemri, and the Hinterlands of Kuresh (India). The South Pole of the Warhammer world is a very dangerous place, in previous editions Daemons had sway over the continent there, not sure if they've continued that tradition.

Damsals will march to war alongside the Bretonians for the same reasons that most Bretonians will go to war. They are the prophet(esses) of the Lady, the spiritual leader of Bretonia. If the Lady demands it, the armies of Bretonia will march to war, and her Damsals will go with them. Alternatively, they're the only wizards that the Brets have, so I can imagine that they'd petition for a Damsal to join any expedition they embark upon, for their magical prowess as well as their spiritual/religious guidance. I'm interested to see how this pans out in the new book, because currently, Bretonia has a strange relation with their religion in the fluff. Every race has a religion, even if they rarely mention it (Dwarfs), but Bretonians seem to lack any structured religion at all. For example, all of the Knights deify the Lady- who is already rumored to be a Wood Elf - but the lowborn Peasants all deify the Grail Knights. They build "Grail Chapels", although the Knights prefer to pray at water features found in nature. It's hard to pin down their beliefs- they're based on Arthurian Legend, but even still, Arthur was typically the ruler of a very Christian-ized empire, albeit one infused with Welsh/Gaelic tradition.

Don't want French names huh? Well, there are lots of "cool" French names out there, in my opinion. I'm pretty sure that Damien is French or has a French equivalent. Most Empire names are Germanic in nature. If you wanted, you could field a mounted Empire army- their Knights are available in both Core and Special, and they have access to some of the deadliest Fast Cav in the game. But anyways, you want Bretonians so we'll stay there. You could field an army from the Border Princes, which is roughly Italy, Greece, and the northern coast of Africa, if I recall. It's just a collection of principalities founded by wealthy merchants, or bandits, or exiles. It would be easy to imagine them having any variety of names, although using the Bret book to represent Empire outcasts might ruffle a few feathers. Ultimately though, you can name them whatever you want to name them. My Vampire army is based on Bretonians and they have all have French/Spanish names: Chatould, Castille, Christobel.

As for fluff? I don't know if you liked the love story from your VC fluff, but maybe the female Vampire is a Damsal instead, and is stolen by the Dark Elves when they raid her convent(? -see, I have no idea how Bretonian religion works, stupid GW). They take her aboard a Black Ark and carry her off to the Americas, and you have a sort of 'Tristan and Isolde' story of the young Bretonian knight setting off against all hope to find her. I prefer embattled, bitter Bretonians over the stately ones, just because I think that they're a naturally "soft" culture, and casting them as weary veteran killers is a stark contrast to how we normally think of them. There was a Golden Daemon army a while back that was painted up to look like a more realistic portrayal of Brets, with their armor muddy and bloodstained, their horses being shot out from under them by archers, dented and cracked shields, and broken lances. It was what made me buy my first box of Brets.
    Or, you could portray your army as the pseudo-fictional 'Black Company'. Prince Edward of Aquataine, aka 'The Black Prince', was famous for his less-than-chivalric method of warfare when he led British forces against France. He was known to loathe the common peasants, burning villages and crops in a slash-and-burn campaign intended to bring a swift end to the war. Although he treated other knights and nobles well enough his tactics were 'dishonorable' featuring waves of footmen, dismounted knights and flank charges, his entire family had a history of violent outbursts of anger, Edward himself had 3 illegitimate heirs (2 to unknown women) before he was married, and he was one of the bases for the fictional role of "The Black Knight" since he wore an ornate black suit of maile given to him by his father after his victory at Crecy at age 16. Although he might not fit entirely for your non-peasant army (he used lots of footmen, and very few mounted knights- actually expressing distaste for cavalry charges in battle, despite jousting in numerous tournaments) he would be a neat character to base some fiction on, especially as a less-than-honest Knight. He's either declared a hero of Brittain, or vilified in France (and by Shakespeare) as a bloody-minded war-profiteer.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; August 30th, 2011 at 18:59.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all that info and eveything, no amount of rep can do you right! Thanks a million :-D.

Now,
    I think i shouldve worded my dislike for french names better: I dislike their last names (Damian, is as far as I know, French) but Leoncoeur in example I personally find horrible. But I'm sure I can find something I like ;-).

I like to give my Characters a dark side, make them feel miserable, I was indeed thinking of the DE enslaving a loved one from the Paladin (forgot him in the list), wich drives him to his quest, leading his army vs the Dark Elves in an attemp to find/free his beloved. Stopping at nothing to acconish his goal (torturing innocent people because he thinks they know where he can find her etc).

I'm also planning on making the army dark,beaten,scarred,bloodied..no crusading army stays shiny :-p
    Last edited by Leafblower; August 30th, 2011 at 20:48.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yeah, by all means, go for it. It's my opinion that nobody will turn down a legal army based on fluff, and most people won't rail your fluff as long as it "keeps in spirit" and is suitably believable. You can have pink Orcs wearing bunny ears if you find a good enough way to actually explain it (don't come to me, I have no idea how you'd pull that off).

Just don't give them last names? I mean, nobody really says "Gotrek Starbreaker and Felix Jaeger" all the time. They say Gotrek and Felix. Or give them appelations. For example, Edward the Black Prince, or Edward of Woodstock, etc. You could have "Damien of the West Marches" or something.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those orcs sound tempting..maybe Hello Kitty as Warboss,hmmm :-p.

That name idea is so simple it is genius, I havent even thought of that!

I do plan to stick to the established fluff, but will try to show the more darker side of it, even the shiniest knight gets dirty sometimes ;-).

Thanks for your help :-).

+ Reply to Thread