Empire Volley Gun Fluff - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i vaguely remember someone telling me the fluff of the helblasters origins. revolving around a desperate village under siege by a vampire count and his army. some nut tied a dozen handguns together and nailed the vampire with it, thus causing his army to crumble. so this tiny community stopped some huge undead host. nuln got word of this, took a look at the makeshift volley gun and made a relatively more stable version. the vampires name was something like manfred von hel, thus the name helblaster.
    can anyone confirm/deny this, or better yet, correct me altogether with either a link or a story?

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know about all that, but the name hellblaster is probably from the fact it blasts enemies to hell, or something like that
    Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.
    We are few but strong in will
    The last with pagan blood
    We fought the world with burning steel
    Now we sit in Hall of Gods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you do realize it's spelt with only one 'l' right? helblaster, not hellblaster. or do you mean hel is just a different spelling of hell?
    wasn't the daughter of the real loki named hel, who built Eljudnir, a home of the dead? mayhaps it is just a variant of hell, you don't go to hell, you go a home of the dead, owned by hel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be very surprised if the Volley Gun was named after "Hel" (Norse Godess of the underworld.) Though WarHammer definitelly shares some things in common with our world (take a look at a map of the WH world) I would doubt that GW would use something like that. It's just not in their style...

Your idea sounds alright, as I can see nothing wrong with it. IIRC, there is nothing in the current edition that supports this, but perhaps in previous editions they gave a reason (if not your idea.)

I think that it is called "Hel"blaster and not hell is because it makes it simply more unique.

Cheers!
    Mike

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

I remember an old battle report in a WD a fair few years ago where the liche lord guy (i cant remember his name he rides on a manticore) was attacking a town of the empire and they used a couple of volley guns...are you thinking of that?...although the empire lost that battle....

Surely the gun justs blasts people to hell?
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this has been covered twice already, it's not hell, it's hel.
    i doubt it was a battle report, what model is named after a battle report.
    yea i doubt it was anything norse, i'm still pretty convinced it was someone von hel, a vampire count.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I've never heard of any fluff for the Helblaster based upon a vampire, nothing in the 5th or 6th ed books.

But as to the necromancer, his name was Vanhel - an ancient necromancer. His decendants have tried to atone for evils, the one known is Johann Van Hal - the Witch Hunter. Other than that I don't really know of any other Van or Von vampires except the Con Carstein BL of course.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Thanks for pointing that out Iron Loki, i didnt suggest it was named after a battle report, i just thought that maybe he was getting confused over something he read a while ago....

does it really matter why it is now called the Helblaster and not the hellblaster- they change the fluff all the time anyway, the volley gun used to be called the Klomp volley gun (actually i can see why they changed it) after master gunner at the Imperial Ordanance at Nuln Heinrich von Klomp...lame but true, and if you don't believe me read the Empire army list from WD 147, i thank you
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does fluff ever make a difference? have you ever fought a battle, lost, and said "aw man, my fluff sucks, thus fate struck me down", or "damn you and your good fluff, if i was as fluffy as you i'd destroy you!".
    aw man, that sucks. the klomp gun was a great name. i think i will go check WD 147, i have it with my baby stuff. as considering i'm 16, wouldn't it be published when i was around 3 or 4?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x8)

ok ok, no need to get so defensive.....
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

+ Reply to Thread