A Potentially Touchy Empire Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Potentially Touchy Empire Question

I want to say right up front that I did a search for this and found nothing in the forums. Also, I don't have the Empire Army Book, and am basing my thought mainly on the main rule book.

Clearly, the Empire is the equivalent to Germany in the real world. With that in mind, does it seem at all innappropiate the way the Burgomeisters are portrayed? It seems as though, from what I've read about them, GW is buying into every anti-semetic lie that the Nazi's ever told (ie they control all the wealth, they are greedy/evil, etc).

I just want to know if this is addressed in the army book or if my perceptions of how the Burgomeisters are portrayed is way off.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

the Empire isnt based on the third reich (hitlers germany) but on the Holy Roman Empire of the middle ages- When the german city states were ruled by elected emperors who often clashed with the other great ecclesiastical power of the time the pope usually fighting in Italy- with probably the most famous of the emperors being Frederick 'barbarossa' (redbeard) who died on his way to take part in the third crusade.

As for the Burgomeisters go i dont think they are based on anti-semitic propoganda but probably on the merchant classes of the Hanseatic league in the middle ages- men who made great wealth importing and exporting all over northern europe and created a new and powerful class removed from the traditional feudal system in operation throughout the rest of europe.
    Last edited by Sir Theobold the Lame; August 29th, 2005 at 19:02.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

True.
    Furthermore, burgomeister is a historical name. The 'free cities' (i.e. without a feudal overlord) were ruled by a burgomeister and a council. They were powerful and very anxious to keep his city independant. The advantages they had were a large population to work and defend the walls; more money than but the richest nobles and third but not least: often the support of Emperors and Dukes (Elector Counts in WHF to keep the nobility in check.
    Most of the free cities were along the Rhine and side rivers and the northern coast of Germany.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

+ Reply to Thread