Lizardmen=Native Americans? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lizardmen=Native Americans?

I've always been under the impression that Lizardmen are the race in the Warhammer World meant to be the Aztec/Toltec/Mayan(etc) cultures from our world's history, and reflecting on this a bit ago I wondered if they would also fill the American Indian culture as well. I looked at the maps of Lustria, Naggaroth, and the New Worlde as a whole, and came to the conclusion that theres a vast expanse of space where the Druchii don't necessarily live (no details indicating otherwise) nor Lizardmen (for the same reason) and thought that Lizardmen would need a warm, arid enviroment, the kind which constitutes the various deserts said to make up the bulk of the continent, so its plausible, if not unlikely. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Thanks to anyone who presents relevant points.

Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.
    We are few but strong in will
    The last with pagan blood
    We fought the world with burning steel
    Now we sit in Hall of Gods

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I have always thought that, also because lustria is described as a distant continent where explorers frequently die. I have also likened it somewhat to ancient egypt, although perhaps the tomb kings more aptly fit this description, because of the priests, seemingly complex pyramids and the saurus guard. I also think the empire are very german, of perhaps 1600AD, the Holy Roman Empire.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

I got the impression they were supposed to be the native americans of South America. Either the Incan, Myan, or Aztec empire, or a combination of all three. Their symbolism and names of their dieties is strkingly similar to anceint aztec names. In addition the layout of the temple cities is extermley similar to anceint South American cities. Not to mention the whole deep jungle feel fits just nicley with the topographic terrain of Central and South America. But I assume all of this was intentional by GW's designers.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

i dont see why you wouldnt get Lizards further north- Chaco Canyon (somewhere in the USA- not very good on my US geography) is supposed to have had an influx of peoples from the south, leading to human sacrifices being carried out.
    If i was you and you go for a north american indian vibe on your lizzies id research the lizards of the nevada desert etc. for markings and colour schemes as i suppose they would be pretty different from their brethren in the steamy lustrian jungles
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samu1710
    I have always thought that, also because lustria is described as a distant continent where explorers frequently die. I have also likened it somewhat to ancient egypt, although perhaps the tomb kings more aptly fit this description, because of the priests, seemingly complex pyramids and the saurus guard. I also think the empire are very german, of perhaps 1600AD, the Holy Roman Empire.
    The peoples of South/ Middle America built pyramids and had very fanactical religious practices, and the Empire is a fantasy version of the Empire. I don't think you understood my question, but correct me if I'm wrong, I meant to ask if they could also be compared to the tribes of North America, as Sir Theobold understood, and semi-agreed on (thank you, by the way).

So, my thought now is how far north do you think the lizardmen could survive? They're cold blooded, so you couldn't have them in Naggaroth, and you have to take into consideration the barbarian human tribes in the area. Thoughts?
    Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by sonofslaanesh
    So, my thought now is how far north do you think the lizardmen could survive? They're cold blooded, so you couldn't have them in Naggaroth, and you have to take into consideration the barbarian human tribes in the area. Thoughts? [/SIZE][/FONT]
    Well anywhere where its warm a lizard could theoreticaly survive. They do better in jungles as they don't have to search for moisture to cool their bodies, but any warm place could be adaptable. Especially considering the lizardmen are the creations of the old ones. I would surmise in fantasy fluff that your lizardmen could come from anywhere but the chaos wastelands or the colder northern regions.
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I understand it, the native environment of the south eastern US could be well suited to the needs of the lizard folk, particularly the swampy/marsh areas like Camp Lejeune, NC (Saurus Marines - toughest of the tough).

It would also be interesting to paint up a unit with the colors of the gila monsters as Sir Theobold mentioned. The fluff could be that their breeding pools are normally dormant and dry, and that they spawn only during the rainy season, once a year.
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
    Nothing beside remains

If I told you that, I'm afraid I'd have to kill you
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Yes they built pyramids but not COMPLEX ones; they were yust heaps of rubble covered with a few bricks. Pyramid-building for idiots. And they could probably survive up to the dakotas and california, and the everglades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by samu1710
    Yes they built pyramids but not COMPLEX ones; they were yust heaps of rubble covered with a few bricks. Pyramid-building for idiots.
    Wow, thats ignorant AND misinformed. We might be related because you sure sound like one of my relatives. They're pyramids are just as complex as the ones the egyptians built, especially considering they built theirs in the middle of a jungle. Don't diss on ancient cultures, they were all pretty damn amazing in their own ways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

ok not to turn this in a history lesson but the original Egyptian pyramids where like the Aztec ones but the when the Egyptian empire fell there pyramids where much better however the Aztecs did have aqueducts the Aztecs build what are called step pyramids not sure what the Egyptian ones are called but they are flat on the sides and often have a lot of inside rooms Aztec pyramids are technically not pyramids

not trying to dis Aztecs but the truth is there pyramids where not as advanced

to get to the point tho you could defiantly do that it might need some creative thinking but that’s why you thought of the idea in the first place

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast