Vlad's Origin - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vlad's Origin

PAw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vlad's Origin

Okay i have been looking through the VC Book and looking around fo rthings about Ushoran and Mourkin which was the the before the Mutated Strigoi vampires.
    i have been wondering before Mourkin was razed, would it of been enough time before it was razed to get to Sylvania?
    I was thinking about it and to me it made sense that Vlad was a Strigoi.

could anyone enlighten me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

The von Carstein Trilogy (Inheritance, Dominion and Retribution) of books by Steven Saville will give you some insight into the con Carstein heritage, but it gives little away about Vlad's earlier life.

I would suggest that he is originally Lhamian, or at least his sire would be, as very few Strigoi's survived the destruction of their city. Vlad could have been in hiding while he was looking for one of the Books of Nagash, and from there discovered the Kingdom of Sylvania and the rest is history...
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

PAw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh really? THANKS Gingerninja i havent heard of that series. Thanks i have to read them.
    Lhamian as in Lhamia? or pretty Vampires? ^^
    Anyway my point is thanks for the reference to the Von carstein Trilogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Lahmia was a city in the South and part of the area that now belongs to the Tomb Kings, vampires ruled it until the other kings attacked and destroyed the city.

There is a seductive mostly female bloodline of the same name, named after the city.

It’s unlikely the Von Carstein bloodline branched off from an older one and it’s widely believed that they descend from the King of Lahmia and that may well be Vlad’s true origin.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

If you want to know about vampires and the undead as a whole then the "Liber Necris" is the book you want. Has all the history of Nagash and the vampires but does go into a bit more details that any of the previous army books. I'll expand on what Dark Lioness said.

The orgins of the Von Carstein bloodline can be traced back to Lahmia and to a "confident, dark-eyed man" called Vashanesh. He became the co-ruler of Lahmia with Neferata and it says he was very good at ruling, "showing himself to be a strong and natural ruler". Now as we know he matches the ideal and look of Vlad's bloodline but the first time we hear of the name Von Carstein is with Vlad himself. Vashanesh is not named as Von Carstein. However, he does get the Von Carstein ring from Nagash;

"Made from some magic alloy, the ring set with a stone of refined and enchanted warpstone. With this ring Vashanesh would be able to command all the other vampires and would be impelled to obey. The only caveat upon this was that should Vashanesh ever disobey Nagash, the spell would be broken and all vampires would be cursed for all eternity. As and added incentive for Vashanesh, Nagash told him that the prime enchantment of the ring was to make its wearer indestructable; even were his body to be destroyed, he would not have to wait for his allies to resurrect him as other vampires would"
    -Liber Necris, p46

With this information it is clear to see that the ring in question must be the Von Carstein ring worn by Vlad centuries later. But it might not be that Vlad is Vanhanesh himself but more like a vampire Vanhanesh sired. I say this as Vashanesh allows himself to be slain in battle and even though the ring would resurrect him as he was decapitated and therefor 'dead' his control over the vampires and Nagash's control was ended. They were free and fled.

Now the next time we hear of a Van Carstein-esk being is during the Empire's Skaven problems in 1111 [Count Mandred 'Skaven Slayer's era]. The ruler of Sylvania was Baron Frederick van Hal. He was given the Nine Books of Nagash by a stranger named 'Prince Vladimir, it was also with his help Vanhel [as he became known, the infamous necromancer] wrote the Liber Mortis. When the Skaven Wars ended there was no record of this Prince Vladimir anywhere. Then we get to the scene of Vlad Von Carstien becoming the count of Sylvania and that story we all know.

With this information, I'd say that Vlad is not a decendant of a mutated Strigoi bloodline but decendant of Vashanesh or was even perhaps Vashanesh himself. If he was a thrall of his then he either took the ring after Vashanesh's death or later on in 'life', there was a huge unknown gap about the Von Carstien's history. The Liber Necris does little to clear this up other than to lay down some heavy hints as to his orgins.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the von Carsteins are scarier just because no one knows exactly where they came from. When you look at the Lhamians and the Strigoi they seems so known and understood it adds to them being a mere shadow of their former glory. Mean while, the Nechs and Carsteins have some aura of mystery remaining over them.

And going back to Inheritance, it is noted in that book that Vlad sounds as if he was from the east, a Kislevite is what Otto van Drak says, so I think that rules out the possiblility that he is actually from Lhamia.
    - scharfrichter

Armies:
    WH40K:
    Deutschian First Infantry
    Deutschian Third Armoured + LSS Scharfrichter
    Tyranid Hive Miðgarðsormr

Fantasy:
    Army of Branislav von Steiermark, Vampire Counts

+ Reply to Thread