Rise to power!!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rise to power!!! - Empire Lord Fluff :)

(edited to fill in the blanks and fix the spelling - should be easier and more intresting to read - suggestions are still good though ;p )

Ok been a wile since iv done anything warhammer related (so much work a so little time an all that). But am back and am looking to start a fantasy army for the first time.

I have opted for Empire (partly because of the nice new models and the fact Dark Elves are so freaking expensive!!)

Anyway - this is what I have come up with in ways of a background for my lord, Varion Erinthorn.

a tale of riches to rags to riches.... again.... theres more this time though ;P

Well our hero started off life quite well. First and only son of a well to do member of the gentry, he was raised to become an officer in the army of the glorious empire! And as such was trained in martial combat and Strategies.

His father however was denounced from his position for suspected sidition against the local elector count, and as such his sons chances of becoming an officer were reduced to nil.

Now... living in squalor surviving on the little money they had left, Varion's farther soon passed away. Many said it was shame that killed him.... the empire physicians say plague.

Ultimately it mattered little, Varion Erinthorn was now alone in the world with few coins to his name. He tried to join the Local garrison but the deep resentment he now felt towards those in authority repeatedly landed him in the stockades. After a particularly heavy drinking session with other members of the garrison he came to blows with his commanding officer following a few choice words about his heritage. He was given the choice of hanging or exile.... as good as dead either way was how the court saw it.

Using the coin he had made from his short time in the garrison and what little he had saved he bought armour, weapons and provisions.... if your going to face what would likely be your end, you might as well go prepared.

Surprisingly enough, his exile was perhaps a blessing in disguise, he could travel freely plying his skill at arms were ever he could. After a brief period within a group of raiders and highway-men liberating taxes from a town he had little love for. He set out to find something more meaning full to do with his life and succeeded in collecting a few of the less rotten members of the band along the way.

Varion has never even spoken the name of the town or provience that he so dispises scince his departure, It is a mystery lost to time of which only varion and his closest surviving captains hold the Awnser.

With his new travailing companions Varion headed to marienburg and a future as sellswords. Several years passed, and both Varion Erinthorn's purse and band grew, in size and infamy.

By the age of 25 Varion commanded a band of 30 cut throats, sell swords and last chancers to were ever the pay was best, as bodyguards, soldiers and other less savoury things. It was in this year however that every thing would change, Varion Erinthorn's band was in the employ of the Burgomister William Von Rekhoff of Blackwald, to reinforce the towns garrison as a free company.

The Burgomister was clearing small warbands of beastmen from areas of Darkwald forest that lay near Blackwald, a fortified town within Hochland, and all was well till the garrison came across the war band of the beast lord Yisth, who had recently overthrown several nabuoring Tribes. The empire soldiers were outnumbered and outmatched.
    The ensuing battle was bloody and violent the empire reciving the majority of the beating; Von Rekhoff's body guard was assaulted by the Beast lord and his heard, being butchered almost to a man. All looked lost... Its army broken its general surrounded. But hope reappeared in the form of 31 ragtag sellswords slamming in to the flank of the Beast Lords herd, The group¡¦s leader felling the champion among the beasts in single combat as it attempted to protect his lord.

In the confusion the Burgermister took the chance to strike out at Yisth, blinding him in one eye. The cowardly beast fled before the final blow could be struck however. Seeing there leader flee, the beast men lost heart and ran, back in to the forest.

Von Rekhoff had been impressed by the bravery and skill of the leader of what he had considered to be little more than rabble. He approached the solider, who was cleaning blood from his blades and asked him his name... he replied "Varion Erinthorn, and why would that concern you?¨
    Though slightly taken aback by Varion's harsh tone, the Burgermister managed to reply, "well, I would like to firstly thank you for your bravery and that of your men", Varion answered "pay will be thanks enough, we risk our lives for coin not words. Your thanks will not bring back the five men I lost today".

A solemn look passed across the Burgomisters face..... he understood the feeling of loss, and considered the many that had died for him too day. "I am sorry for your loss, but I do have an offer I hope you will consider. As you are aware my household guard are all but destroyed. I was hoping you and your men would consider taking up the position." the Burgermister then added "You would be armed and armoured with the best equipment I can provide, paid well and given a place to call your own. I would also like for you to lead them as my new champion."

The men readily agreed to the offer, and after much convincing by his men, so did Varion. After all he cant let his own distaste for authority stop him doing what is right for his men.

3 years passed, the men drilled near every day, never letting there new found comfort weaken them, and it is lucky that such was there manner. each year William Von Rekhoff would travel with his body guard to the sight of that battle that was very nearly his last, and pay his respects to the dead.

For the first two years everything was as expected, they arrived, paid there respects and left. This year however was different, the clearing was quite when they arrived, too quite... no birdsong... no sounds but the wind.

That's when they struck, an ambush of beast men led by none other than Beast Lord Yisth the one eyed. He had watched and waited for two years planning and building so he might take revenge on the human that nearly killed him.... now was the time.

Herd after heard they appeared from the forest and charged, the greatswords stood resolute, encircling there lord. A runner was dispatched to the nearest village to gather reinforcements. the rest knew escape was imposable.

Varion stepped to the fore and vowed that the beasts would break upon them like water on stone.... There was no real hope, just the defiance of men unwilling to die. For every member of the Greatswords that fell 10 of the chaos spawn fell in turn, but there numbers seemed never ending, and slowly the men were whittled away one by one.

When only Varion, Von Rekhoff and a few of the most skilled and hardend vetrent greatswords remained Yisth appeared. The gors ceased there attack for the moment, allowing the now huge beast lord to descend upon the burgomaster with blade and tooth. The beasts resumed there attack on the greatswords, hoping to bring them down once and for all.

Though Von Rekhoff fought valiantly, he was unprepared and out matched
    By the now hardened Yisth. He was cut down with no mercy or respite, his throat torn out by the teeth of the great beast and his hart pierced by its sword.

It was in this moment of triumph the beast lord Yisth would fall. Varion infuriated by the death of the only person to treat him as an equal fell in to a fury, felling any beast to assail him. His remaining men like wise fought like daemons to protect the body of there lord, and allow it to be defiled no further.

Yisth and Varion now faced each other in single combat, battle still raging around them. The beast lord struck with his great axe and followed swiftly with his sword, hoping to behead the Reckless champion, only to find himself left exposed from the blow.. the result was swift and merciless, Varion struck with all his might cracking and puncturing the armour of the beast man, just as he fell the champion span with his blade in a whirlwind arc decapitating the evil lord, once and for all ending his crusade against the town of Blackwald.

The reinforcements from the village arrived soon after, upon seeing there lord fall and there advantage dwindle the beast men once again Retreated to the safety of the forest. The loss of the burgomaster was deeply felt; he had been a good and courageous man, doing what he felt his people needed.

The Elector Count of Hochland himself, arrives following the news of the death of the Williem Von Rekhoff and asks to be informed of the event. He discovers how the greatsword champion Varion Erinthorn led a valiant defence against all odds to protect his lord. He is subsequently Knighted for his skill and bravery and given lordship over Blackwald as his levy.

Blackwald becomes infamous for being extremely welcoming to exiles, thieves, sellswords and the like. It also prides its self on its independence from both province and other local garrisons were ever it can, maintaining a much larger than average local garrison. Also mercenaries and the like are not uncommon within the forces of Blackwald and are more organised to a degree then in many other provinces. And no Beast has dared to raid wile Varion Erinthorn has stood redy to defend it.. the hide of Yisth still adorning its main gate as a warning.

OK that's it. Hope you liked it (or at least thought it was ok) now feel free to tear it apart and add your own suggestions

K thanks Drakken

(also appreciae it itf you read it all - i know its long;P)

if any ones found the format hard to read (i relize i jump from a story style to a out of charter sort of description/explentation on quite a few occations) let me know. I will try (TRY being the oprtive word) redo it in one format and repost it for your reading easie ;P

Last edited by drakken; January 1st, 2007 at 22:48.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Wow, a very richly detailed background. Nice.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply , glad you liked it.

i will try go back through the post when i get chance to fix some of the spelling errors iv noticed, and fill any blanks i can make a desison on as soon as i get time

suggestions and improvments are still welcome

k thxs again
    Drakken

+ Reply to Thread