Natural Enemies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Natural Enemies?

Not knowing as much about Fantasy as I do 40k, about the history and lore, I was just wondered if each race had a natural enemy?
    e.g Dark Elves are the natural enemies of the High Elves, Chaos are the natural enemies of everything, I suppose.

But if there was one battle to decide the fate of each race, who would it most likely be against? Using everything, like history, location, current standings etc.

I realise this is a broad generalisation, and it's not as simple as that, but basically, who hates who?

Ta

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Oh, there is a few. You have already pointed one out, but there are plenty more.

Dark Elves vs High Elves
    Dwarves vs Orcs and Goblins/Skaven/Elves/Chaos Dwarves
    Wood Elves vs Beastmen
    Chaos vs Empire/any good race
    Lizardmen vs Skaven/Dark Elves (Slaanesh cults)
    Vampire Counts vs Empire/Bretonnians

I think that's most or at least the major ones. Anyone got some I've missed?

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb kings and Vampire counts, they really hate eachother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenblight View Post
    Tomb kings and Vampire counts, they really hate each other
    Now, I've never been convinced that the Vampire Counts hate the Tomb Kings. When you look at the background, there is little reason for them to do so. If anyone should, it would be the Lahmians (for the destruction of Lahmia). And yes, whilst most blood lines came from this link most of them put aside their heritage and forged new "kingdoms" for themselves, away from the south.

Also, I'm not in full agreement with the Tomb Kings hating the Vampire Counts. If anything they hate Nagash. OK, he did create the vampires and they might have been seen as a product of his evil and the mummified corpses of the dead kings might take great offence to them, but I'm not convinced that the Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings would really be arch-rivals.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Thanks for replies.

The Tomb Kings one is interesting. Under what circumstances would the Tomb Kings fight a battle anywhere other than Nehekara? Same with Lizardmen and Wood Elves I suppose.
    It wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest Dwarves would launch an attack on Orcs, or High Elves and Empire would rally against a Skaven incursion, but what would bring the Wood Elves to Fight Lizardmen in Lustria, for exmaple, or for Tomb Kings to attack the forests of the Wood Elves.

As I said, I don't know that much about the history of the world, but it seems to be like there are many armies who simply wouldn't meet each other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    but what would bring the Wood Elves to Fight Lizardmen .
    where does it say in the army books about the lizardmen hating the wood elves? surely they can't be arch-rivals towards each other.

i find that the lizardmen could be vs. skaven/dark elves and especially all things Chaos related. as it is the forces of chaos that the children of the old ones truly hate, ever since the collapse of the polar warp gates that made their masters depart from the warhammer world.

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    As I said, I don't know that much about the history of the world, but it seems to be like there are many armies who simply wouldn't meet each other.
    That's quite true. While some armies really hate one another, (KU's list has most of them, oh plus Empire vs Orcs & Goblins....how did you miss that? ) there are others that would hardly ever meet and even if they did there is a good chance that they would be on the same side. It would be a bit odd if every race hated and regularly fought every other race. Of course this doesn't stop you from fighting such battles if you want to.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    (KU's list has most of them, oh plus Empire vs Orcs & Goblins....how did you miss that? )
    Well, they always need our help there. It just slipped my mind as not important. -__^

Yes, there are a number of improbabilities in the format of armies meeting. Many are much too far spread apart to show any real signs of enmity towards one another.

where does it say in the army books about the lizardmen hating the wood elves? surely they can't be arch-rivals towards each other.
    I'm sure what distortiondave meant was, why would they fight, rather than saying they were arch rivals.

all things Chaos related. as it is the forces of chaos that the children of the old ones truly hate
    Again, another statement I'm not convinced of. If they did truly hate them, then why were they not involved in the First Chaos Incursion? As far as I'm aware the Lizardmen sat back at this and left it to the humans to deal with. With the ability to be transported where ever in the world more or less I would have thought they'd have been at the fore front.

I think they are rather indifferent to everything that's not lizardman, unless it tries to enter their jungles and steal their treasures etc. But I would say that, yes, OK they might reserve some hatred for Skaven and Choas but generally they keep themselves to themselves unless something could threaten to destroy the world.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Cheers KU.
    I'm fairly new to fantasy which is why I'm asking. I have Dark Angels and nids forces and coming up with reasons for them to fight is pretty easy.
    Thats what I want in fantasy, a reason why two armies would fight each other fairly regularly.

Unfortunately for me, I don't like Humans or Elves much so I'm 5 armies down straight away.

I've chosen either Chaos or Orcs given their violent nature and willingness to fight as one of my 'bad' armies (ala Tyranids) and it's the good army I'm struggling to come up with.
    I like Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Dwarves to a point - coming up with two armies to like is the easy bit, but coming up with a reason for them to fight is tricky, and it's that that I wanted help with.

You have helped though, so cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Well, there are possibilities for each of those armies:

Chaos - The "a-typical" evil army, will fight anyone, where ever and however.
    Orcs and Goblins - Like Chaos but less interested in conquest and more in a good "ruck".
    Tomb Kings - Their kingdom use to encompass the Empire once. Perhaps they want it back?
    Lizardmen - Bit trickier, a slann had a dream and sent some into the Old World, using their powers to chance a small section into a tropical jungle. Or are guardians of an all powerful place of the Old Ones, everyone wants it.
    Dwarves - Simple, to settle a grudge. We will cross the world twice to settle a grudge... and for gold.

That help any more? =)

KU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast