Beast "Super Herd" vs. Ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Beast "Super Herd" vs. Ogres

I have been looking for a new Fantasy army for quite some time, and this past Sunday evening in my searching I came up with an idea, the Beasts of Chaos "Super Herd." Starting out at 1000 points, the super herd would be a 60 man strong beast herd composed of 30 gor and 30 ungors. The herd itself has not changed much since its conception, aside from the addition of heroes. The question in my mind was, "would it work?" I set out to play one battle with the super herd every day this week, and now on Saturday I write the battle reports for my first 5 battles with the super herd.

Monday, Battle 1
    Test Battle vs Dwarves
    A small 500 point game to see if the herd could actually win on its own.

My troops : The Super Herd and 1 Bray shaman
    Opponent : 3 units of dwarf warriors

Not much of a battle, really, just one of my friends that I told the idea to helping me test against a tough and hardy defense of dwarves. Super herd kills 5 guys, Shaman kills 4, dwarves kill 2. Herd wins.

Tuesday, Battle 2
    Beastmen vs. Ogres
    First real battle, I was told by people on the forum that stubborn and multi-wound models might be a problem, so I chose an ogre player for an opponent.

My troops : Super Herd, 2 Bray Shamans, Chaos Ogres w/ GW, Chariot, 2 units of 5 warhounds
    Ogres: 2 squads of 3 bulls, squad of 4 Ironguts with a Bruiser, Butcher, 20 or so noblars, 2 units of 2 Leadbelchers

Deployment was pretty straightforward for me, herd in the middle, stuff on the outside for flanking. His set up was interesting, I think the Huge unit threw him off a little.

Round 1.1
    I got first turn and just moved everything forward. He can move faster than I can so I had to be wary. I have a trick up my sleeve, with a little magic item that will let me charge in the magic phase to help compensate. My magic doesn't do a whole lot, Magic missile dispelled, but I get Bear's Anger.

Round 1.2
    He offsets some of his troops I guess thinking that his Bulls will be able to charge and The Ironguts will charge the subsequent round to finish me off. His Leadbelchers Move forward to get in range and blast away my chariot. His magic causes my Chaos Ogres to take a panic check, they fail and run.

Round 2.1
    I charge with my warhound on his gnoblar unit. My other warhound unit charges his Bulls. My ogres do not rally. I move my units forward into his charge range, he can't keep his poker face. In my magic phase I rally the ogres, and use my magic item to charge forward with my Herd. My unit kills off 2 bulls they kill maybe 1, they break, I chase them down.

Round 2.2
    My unit smacks into his Ironguts and Butcher. His bulls are blocked by the Butcher so he does not charge. He casts something that makes his Ironguts stubborn with +1 toughness, I fail to dispel. He tries for Troll guts, Screw that crap, I dispel it. The herd and bray shamans inflict 2 wounds to the ironguts and 1 to the Butcher. He kills a few, I still win the combat by 1. He holds.

Round 3.1
    I move my Chaos ogres into position to hit his Leadbelchers. I move my warhounds to protect my herd so if they were charged his LB would be in the middle of nowhere. I inflict 5 wounds in combat this time, and despite being stubborn he breaks and I chase him down.

Round 3.2
    He charges with his Bulls, and sets up his one LB units to flank. His gnoblars are set up to make me clip them instead of the LB. Even though he charged, My herd kills 2 of his 3 ogres and he breaks, the game is called.

Lessons learned : Warhounds can't really hurt anything, they are better as a sacrifice to protect my flanks. My whole army suffers from poor leadership and can be run off the board if I have to take panic checks. The super herd does in fact work, Bray shamans are my best friend. Being able to move my heroes within the unit so they can be where they need to at all times is a HUGE perk.

Last edited by frozencore; August 25th, 2007 at 23:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

The Ogres should have panicked away from the butcher or the nearest table edge when they failed to rally (this is not 40k) So the herd and warhounds should have tested to panic and the ogres dead.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

I like the way you do your battle reports, well set out. Good going with the Herd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Orkimedes41792 View Post
    The Ogres should have panicked away from the butcher or the nearest table edge when they failed to rally (this is not 40k) So the herd and warhounds should have tested to panic and the ogres dead.
    They did run away from the butcher. In 7th edition rules panic tests no longer need to be taken when a friendly unit fails a panic check within 6". If you mean the ogre unit would have run through one of my other units, this is also not true, perhaps my diagram is misleading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really liked your battle report and liked the look of your army setup. However, I feel that it is maybe a bit "eggs in 1 basket", all or nothing.

I play dwarves and especially slayers and I feel that my standard slayer army would give it a good going over, but what a game that would be. I love playing against beast herds, they look awesome on the board and always give a great game.

I think I will get 1 of my beast playing mates to replicate your army and give it a try out.

I will let you know how it goes

Cheers and keep up the good work mate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

snorri, thread necromancy is i'll advised on the forum. if you wish to show your gratitude for a long ended thread please use the "rep" option located on the left hand side under each avatar (little thumbs up). this thread is from august last year after all.

thread locked

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Closed Thread