Beast "Super Herd" vs. Dwarves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Beast "Super Herd" vs. Dwarves

The last and final battle of the week. Will the Super Herd once again be victorious?

Friday, Battle 5
    Beastmen vs. Dwarves
    A tough opponent with high leadership.

My troops: Super Herd, 2 Bray Shamans, 4 Minotaurs w/ GW, Chariot, 2 units of 5 warhounds
    His troops: 20 Iron breakers with Standard of Stoicism, 20 Warriors with greatweapons and a Thane, 20 Warriors with hand weapons and shields with a super thane, 2 bolt throwers.

I was pretty confident that I would win, because this was a similar list to the one I had a test game against on day 1. He deployed close together to prevent me from flanking his units, which would help against a normal beasts of chaos army. Placing all his units next to each other only makes them a victim for the super herd. I screened my minotaurs with warhounds, which seems to be the best use for them.

I will only have a picture for 1 round at a time, because my opponent does not move this game.

Round 1
    I actually go second this game. He opens up on my warhounds and misses, hits my Minotaurs and kills 1. They make their panic check, thank goodness they have better leadership. I move everything forward, I get ready to charge his bolt throwers. Bear's Anger on both my guys.

Round 2
    I charge his bolthrowers with my warhounds. I move everything else within 7 or 8 inches so it can charge next round. The warhounds on the right kill 1, and the ones on the left kill 2. The crew on the left kill none, the crew on the right kill 1. No one breaks (why are crew stubborn?)

Round 3
    I charge with everything, I make sure I target his greatweapons and get rid of the first rank. I kill 4 greatweapons, 2 iron breakers and 3 warriors. He attacks back and kills 3 and wounds a minotaur. Despite his banner I outnumber by 1 and win combat by a bunch. His ironbreakers and Greatweapons run from combat, I can't chase because I still have to fight his other unit. The warhounds finish off his crew. Greatweapons go off the board.

Round 4
    His Ironbreakers rally and he challenges on of my heroes to a combat. The challenge is a draw (each doing 1 wound), but the rest of combat I kill 4 dwarves and his unit breaks from combat. The game is called.

Lessons Learned: I think that the super herd is definitely a viable way to play an army at 1000 points. It protects my units form taking panic checks due to shooting and magic and seems to destroy anything in its path. Minotaurs are much better than ogres because they have better WS and Ld. The lore of beasts seems to be made specifically for bray shamans

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

It definetely could work. But isn't panic a huge liability? In 1000 I have two units of GG so that will destroy a unit of hounds there fore causing ld. 8 test for the Minos, Ld. 6 for the chariot and herd (7 for the herd if you have a foe render) A second round will definetely cause some failed checks. Otherwise looks good
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

I agree completely, panic is a huge liability. It is part of the reason why I came up with the idea. A unit that has 60 models need to lose 15 models before it is required to take a panic check, thus limiting the number of check I need to make, and fail with leadership 7 (I do take a foe-render). The list is not without its risks, and perhaps I need to play against more shooty armies (I assume GG stands for glade guard and not grave guard). I try not to have my units of hounds near my Super Herd whenever possible so I do not have to worry about taking panic checks from troops being destroyed within 6 inches. The herd itself is made up of skirmishers, so it helps protect me from people shooting at the herd itself. The biggest benefit is that it is out of the ordinary, people don't expect someone to field a unit of that size. Also, being able to move my bray shamans between the unit to be in the combat where they need to be is also a big perk.
    The fact remains that no list is perfect, and anyone can say something like "my list can beat that." So far 4 have tried and 4 have failed, of course I will continue to keep you guys posted.

+ Reply to Thread