Hail Gork... or Mork... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Hail Gork... or Mork...

Orcs At Crossroads

Friday I went up with HQ to Horseheads to play in the first Crossroads GT. The tourney was awesome and very well run by Corey Reynolds. Painting and Comp was judged by Corey which I thought was awesome. We had to submit our lists prior to the tourney, that way he graded it form 1- 20 and you got it once you checked in. My Orcs got a 16, Scott's Hellcannon got a 16, and surprisingly Aaron's (Punk) 2 butcher, no Rhinox Ogre army got a 14. Well we got little sleep set up our armies and were ready for round 1.
    Btw, little spoiler my warboss failed every single ward save throughout the tourney and so I will tell how that changed every game

My Army:
    Warboss
    Sword of Battle
    Umm's hat
    Enchanted Shield
    Kickin boots
    HA
    Boar

BSB
    HA
    Boar
    Waaagh banner

SO big boss
    LA
    Shield
    Boar
    Porko's

SO big Boss
    LA
    Shield
    Boar Chariot
    Martog's
    Collar of Zorga (I actually used it )
    Iron Gnashas (didn't use this though)

X2 10 Arrer Boyz
    Mus

X2 10 SO boyz
    mus

23 Orcz
    Shield
    FC

23 Big Unz
    Additional choppas
    Mus
    Standard
    Spirit Totem

20 Blorcs
    Shields
    Mus
    Standard
    Warbanner

5 SO Boar Boyz
    Shieds
    Spears
    Mus
    Standard
    Banner of Butchery

2 Boar Chariots

Round 1 vs. Joe Puzzo's Nurgle Legion (11th, Best Painted)
    He got a 4 comp (I challenged him to the game)

He ran
    Great Unclean One

BSB on Palanquin

X3 10 Plaguebearers

3 Nurglings

X3 3 plagueriders

8 Furies

I know this army was going to be a tough matchup for mine but I felt I could beat it. I had castled up in the center while he was spread fairly thin. He gave me first turn. Previously, I had come to the realization hat arrer boyz can actually hurt the GUO and turn 1 they manage to put 2 wounds on him. On his turn he advanced. and as expected did not do anything with his magic. I moved into good charging positions to utilize the waaagh! with my main blocks. He saw this and was spread too thin to counter but he did manage to bait my savage chariot into wounds. On my turn I declared the waagh, the afforementioned chariot took 6 wounds and exploded. My big unz with the help of the waaagh banner hit the plagueriders protecting the BSB, the Blorcs hit the ones on the right flank and my Warboss's unit hit the GUO hoping to tie him up. One unit of arrer boyz blocked off my warbosss's flank from Plagueriders. the chariots move to block of a flank charge from the paguebearers on the Blorcs and the other moves to hit them on my turn. This was not needed as the plagueriders evaporated from the Blorcs and they overran into no mans land. My opponent had offered to do the BSB fight first, if I had listened to him it would have been a massacre in my favor because he failed every single first ld. roll (everyone, passed all the rerolls though) Unfortunately I fluffed my attacks and only do 2 wounds with the Big unz and he gets 22 attacks (5,5,6) and loses through a mus. taking no wounds. The champ in my warboss's unit rejects the challenge, I do no wounds (despite 6 S5) and lose 3 orcs in return, he passes ld. The former chariot boss does only one wound, takes one back and rolls snake eyes. The next turn he charges the arrer boyz and wipes them out with the PR electing to not overrun. This time the warboss is forced to accept and I put a 3rd wound on big poppa. He does 4 in return I fail all my 4+ saves and then proceed to faill all my 5+ wards (told ya). He loses by 1 and rolls boxcars which is rerolled to a 10 meaning he takes his fourth wound (if I had passed just 1 armour or ward save he would have taken his 5th and I would have gotten 300 points). The big boss puts a couple more wounds on the nurglings making it a draw. The big unz lose 5 guyz but the BSB manages to finish off a PR. On my turn I turned the blorcs to threaten the BSB but honestly I had lost my shot to get to him. On the left flank one SO unit waaaghed! 4 in and was able to charge a PB unit. I then sacrificed another arrer boy unit so the PR wouldn't get into the flank and the chariots moved to support the big boss. The SOs rolled ridiculously well and killed 5 PB and after Ld. there was only 1 left standing. The GUO killed a couple more and lost due to a musician but was unharmed. On his turn he hit his now free PR into the front of the Big poppa fight and the other PR into the arrer boyz. The boyz fled but got away. The SOs finished the last PB while the big boss runs from nurglings and they restrain so they don't ge chariots to the face. In the BSB fight he rolls up a riduculous amount of attacks once again and I actually break. He proceeds to roll a 10 and I thought good game and was about to jokingly extend my hand, then I rolled an 11 . On my turn 5 the big unz rally but the orcz don't but they stay on. The victorious SOs charge the other PB unit and bounce. Meanwhile, the still mounted Big boss moves to stop the PR from chargiing the orcs of the board while the boar voyz and remaining SOs move to double flank. The chariots turn their attention now to the PB. On his turn the PR charge the big boss and the other unit charges my BSB again, I flee and get away at the edge. His PB back up to safety. My big boss loses and gets away easily. I rally everyone in safety. The boar boyz and SOs double flank the PR, I only do 2 wounds so his attacks back hurt but not immensely, combat res kills the wounded one. His last turn he moves the unclean one to puke on the choppa shield boyz bringing them below half. The furies charge the mounted big boss. I do 2 wounds and he does none. He rolls boxcars and they pop. The PR vs. Savage units combat is inconsequential. With that the game ends,

Orcs remaining
    BSB
    Mounted big boss
    .5 chariot boss
    .5 Shield orcs
    Big unz
    1 unit of SOs
    SO Boarboyz
    2 chariots
    Blorcs

DL remaining
    Big Poppa (on 6 wounds)
    BSB
    20 PBs
    4 PRs
    2 Nurglings
    3 banners

Obviously neither of us killed much of the other, it was a movement battle as opposed to a bloodbath. It would not have been close at all if I had fought my combats in a slightly different order or he chased down the big unz. He had me by about 500 points. So it ended in a 10- 1 loss

Impact of ward save= Not getting the ward save (or the armour save) this game meant I only won combat by 1 and therefore the GUO would have taken his 5th wound and it would have been a draw.

Scott lost his game against an army very similar to mine that Aaron's ogres would face next round and Aaron beat my next round opponent, Steven King's Dwarves.

Game 2 vs. Steven King's Dwarves - 16th (funny, I always pictured him as a Chaos player)

He used:
    Beastly Lord

BSB

Runesmith

Master Engineer

19 Dwarfs
    Shields
    FC

X2 19 Longbeards
    Shields
    GW
    FC
    One had stoicism, the other had fear

10 Handgunners
    Shields

17 Hammerers
    Shields
    FC

Cannon
    Forging

2 Organ Guns

His army is a refreshing dwarf army and it deservedly got a 16 comp, however it is still rock solid. I knew my superior number of units could be used to bait, flee, and hit the flanks of the army, and then we scattered the terrain. It was perfect terrain for his army, it scattered in pretty much a diagonal line so all his flanks were protected and it was impossble for me to outmaneouvre him with terrain setup that way. It did not help when he went first and sent a cannonball into my warboss. Predictably I roll a 1 and guess what my failed ward sav means, dead warboss . He played the game correctly by not doing anything stupid to mess things up. I killed all his guns very quickly losing in return the Boar boyz (not the big boss). I did my Waaagh! banner move and charged the big uns into a block of dwarfs which I thought were warriors, taking a closer look sonfirmed they were Hammerers I proceeded to have them kick my a$$ with them only losing CC once and predictably passing (but if they failed...) It was a pretty big loss in the end, because my choppa shield orcs lost pretty much all effectiveness and I lost my General's Ld. Also I got completely choked by terrain. 10-2 loss.

Orcs remaining
    BSB
    SO Boar boss
    SO chariot boss
    .5 Big unz
    Blorcs
    1 arrer unit
    2 SO units
    1 chariot

Dwarfs remaining
    Lord
    BSB
    Runesmith
    Warriors
    Both Longbeards
    .5 Hamerers

I already explained what the failed ward save did.

Game 3 vs. Mark Armon's Tomb Kings- 39th

King
    Destroyer
    Collar

3 Liches

X2 3 chariots

2 Swarms

4 Ushabti

25 Tomb Guard
    FC no mus
    Mirage standard

12 Tomb guard
    FC no mus
    Icon of Raphak

Tomb Scorpion

SSC

Bone Giant

Awesome TK, in all my games of fantasy, TK have never even came close to beating me, I don't know why people complain about them. I guess I just figured them out. The bad part about this mission is that there were no VP, just put your objectives in enemy units and take them away. We deployed on the right side with very little on the left (chariots + swarms vs. Boar Boyz). I let him charge forward and get all his urgency's off. I dispelled the SSC firing but it killed a couple of orcs in the shooting but I pass panic. My turn is setting up charges everywhere. His turn 2 the Tomb Kings Guard unit charges the arrer boyz who take it as do the other arrer boyz against the scorpion and other tomb Guard. His big unit overruns into my general's unit. His other units hold. My turn charges have the Stikka boss charge into the swarms while the boar boyz hit the chariots with my objective, also the big unz waaagh and banner into the ushabti. I put 3 wounds on the swarms and take 1, The big unz go crazy and put 7 wounds on the Ushabti and crumble them. The warboss takes a wound (failing a ward save and armour save against the King) and put two wounds on him and the Guard. His Tomb guard don't do stellar and neither do my guys but i still win by 1 (as opposed to 2, this is important). The chariot kills 4 TG and it is a tie. The Boar Boyz wipe out the chariots and overrun. near the Giant taking an objective. The next couple of rounds sees my Big boss beat diwn the rest of the swarms the take out a liche on the last turn. He urgencies the Giant into the flank of my Boar Boyz on boxcars which I don't dispell with 3 dice, He loses the first round then wipes them out getting into the flank of an SO unit, beating them and then taking big unz in the face. Thanks to a couple of key saves he is left on one wound on his turn 6 and dies my turn 6 meaning I don't get the objective he was carrying. In the Tomb Guard fight my Warboss knocks out the King in the next round and proceeds to beat the unit down. One turn he flies his hierophant out in front of the Big unit about 10in. away and tries to raise, He doesn't get it off and after combat res there is only the standard left and that means if my warboss passed a ward he would have been dead as would have the Heirophant (still important). On the right flank my chariots wiped out his chariots but then he counter charged. There was one of my objectives between my Blorcs and his Tomb guard, he decides to be brave and charges the Blorcs with the small TG (8 left) he goes on to kill 3-4 blorcs a turn with TG and get dropped to 5 when my SO chariot is poised to hit the flank and win the game when he rolls boxcars with the hierophant to raise TG and gets 5 more. He kills 4, and I lose by 1, I fail my rerrolable 8 and he kills the unit pursuing out of LoS of my chariot . That was the game because the Blorcs had one of his objectives. I still had 600 more VP which was the closest a TK player has ver come to me. 8-3 Loss, stupid scenario

Orcs remaining
    All characters
    Big Unz
    CH/sh orcs
    1 arrer boy unit

TK remaining
    Hierophant
    LP
    Small TG
    SSC

Failed Ward save- costs me my 3rd game in a row. Fantastic.

I'll post more later. At this point Scott is 0-2-1 and Aaron is 3-0-0 in 2nd place and must play Jarret Messing's deadly Lizards.

So day 1 and I am 0-3 after day 1 and slightly upset. I looked at who I was playing and it was Ronen Yair of the Warmongers and I knew from a friend that he was running a 2nd Gen. Fantastic. Atleast the mission just relied on who had more US (+10 for banners) on the objectives in the middle and I thought I had a great advantage going in.

Ronen Yair- 59th Lizards
    Ronen had a 6 comp with:
    2nd Gen
    BSB
    Warbanner
    2 scrolls
    diadem

Nike vet
    GW
    Amulet of Quetzl
    Tepok
    Sotek

Cold One Vet
    LA
    Shield
    Sword of Might
    Tepok
    Sotek (I think)

20 Saurus
    FC

X3 10 Skinks

5 Terradons

3 Terradons

X2 3 Kroxi

Stegadon

Magic never bothered me and it never will. I don't think you can rely on it to win you games. In this game all I needed to do was dispell the burning head. It started good with most of the action going on the left flank, I had the right flank pretty much secured and the senter and left I had him outnumbered. I should have played conservatively and made it so my chariots protected against terradons. Well, on turn 3 I saw a chance to go for the 12 point win which would have brightened my tourney considerably. I declared a Waaagh! and that put my big unz on top of the hill they were hiding behind. This plus the waaaagh! banner would have let me charge the cold one rider and bring in the stegadon as well. However, I failed the Ld. 9 fear test. He then declared a charge on me with the stegadon and I was sure I could stay, wrong failed terror test on ld. 9 and leapfrog through the terradons and off the board. The worst part was I wasn't out of it, I was still in an awesome position to win. I had the Boar boyz come in from the right flank which delayed the saurus so they wouldn't be able to contest the objective. The thing that killed me was that i failed every... single... ld. 9... fear/terror... test during the game. Are you kidding me? After that my SO chariot charges the kroxis who roll a 9 and barely get away meaning the afforementioned mfing Stegadon hits me in the flank. Failed ward save in a fight between COR , Nike, and kroxi vs. General's unit means the scar vet puts two wounds on the warboss (that coupled with the fact i couldnt put the wound on him with 6 S5 attacks) meaning I lost by 1 to him and the kroxis and ofcourse I fail and run. they hit the blorcs who failed the check to hit the kroxi in the flank. The kroxi go nuts and with 6 attacks kill 4-5 blorcs and I run. I had been having bad luck throughout the tourney but this was the worst, I had played as good as i possibly could have for the 4th straight game in a row and I just can't catch a freaking break. Ronen noticed this and was understanding, I gave him full sports like I had done with all my opponents (my best opponent vote was a complete toss up because all 5 opponents were in contention but Steve's name won me over, plus he told me he was once held up at an airport because they thought he had a fake idea or something )

Orcs remaining:
    .5 Blorcs
    X1 Arrer Boyz
    X2 SOs
    SO Boar Boyz
    1 chariot

Lizards Remaining:
    Slann
    .5 Nike
    Saurus
    X2 kroxi
    10-1 Loss

Warboss- The failed ward save meant I lost the game again, as opposed to me winning by mus. Also, how the hell do I not kill a scar vet on 1 wound with 6 S5 attacks.

Game 5 vs. Tim O'Brien's Dark Elves- 10th

Tim brought a 20 comp Dark Elf list that played very well:
    High Sorceress
    Darkstar Bra
    L4
    scroll
    lifetaker

Noble
    Pegasus
    Lance
    Wand of Kharaidon

11 Warriors
    xbows
    Standard
    Shields

X2 5 Dark Riders
    Xbows
    Musician

X2 Cold One Chariots
    Spears

17 Witch Elves
    FC
    Manbane

10 Mengil's Manflayers

War hydra

Cauldron of Blood

Tim was another awesome guy and Corey Reynolds (organizer) told me before the game that no one has been able to figure out the army. I hoped I could. He played extremely conservatively. He threw his cheap stuff at me (dark riders, CO chariots, Hydra) and I destroyed them with very little loss in return. The problem is that I screened my two big blocks with arrer boyz, the unit that failed animosity twice, awesome. So he had 6 turns of magic and shooting while I had 4 turns to get to his units on the hill (I didn't), it didn't help that my Blorcs failed every single 4+/5+ save they had to make. My SO chariot was beast, He destroyed a chariot came on hit the flank of the hydra (this is when the collar of zorga becomes awesome, he was only on one wound) does 5 wounds run him down hits the flank of the witches (fails to bring them below half though), and draws in menghils which I setup a charge on with my Big uns to win the game. He actually decided to hold when my chariot fled, they rolled a 10 and I thought "crap, well he'll need like an 11 to get out of my LoS." Take a guess at what he rolled. Awesome (I use this word sarcastically a lot). I had setup 2 other chances to win the game, both were with mounted characters charging his High Sorceres from about 6-7 in. away. He runs and somehow gets away both times. The Big boss is soul stealed and shot to death while the Warboss gets charged by a wounded noble. I have two wounds left I actually take a wound from the peg. Then the lance does a wound, I fail the 4+, ofcourse, and as I pick up the die I tell him "this will finish my warboss's tourney of unsuccesful saves." sure enough a 4 comes up. I tell him to give me a high 5, it would make me feel be better. He rejected, like he had every time I rolled badly ( I did that a lot). i thought i might have still squeaked by a win but then I saw his list and saw what was worth points, everything I didn't get to kill. I was annoyed and knew I had the game given not being able to move my two main units for two turns (the ones that could reliably get to the hill with all his squishy, expensive units). It ended in a 6-4 draw in my favor (I had a quarter and more standards.)

Orcs Remaining
    BSB
    Big Unz
    Choppa shield Orcs
    1X arrer boyz
    2X SOs
    Blorcs
    3 quarters

DE left
    Sorceress
    noble
    xbows
    lucky Mengil's (without mengil)
    depleted witches
    Cauldron

Failed ward saves- from steal soul and the noble kept me from killing the noble and possibly the cauldron. That would be at the very least a 300 point swing giving me the win.

Awesome, another well played game, great opponent, however another depressing result.

So 0-4-1 which could have definetely been much better. Atleast i was able to improve my soft scores and have 5 great games against 5 great opponents.

I had:
    13 of 60 battle points
    19 of 20 sportsmanship
    16 of 20 Comp
    12 of 20 painting
    5 of 5 for handing list on time.

For 65 battlepoints of 125 meaning I tied for 59th with Ronen out of 68. Not my expected placing but not bad for a difficult army to play and it is a step up from my last GT placing. If I keep improving 14 places i will be in -11 place in no time . My friend Aaron actually managed to place 7th with ogres despite dissapointing comp and painting score.

Corey Reynolds did a fantastic job running it.

Larry Mottola won it going 4-0-1 with balanced Empire + Stank
    Jarret Messing's came 2nd going 4-1 with his balanced Lizards
    George O'Connel won best general and 3rd going 5-0 with his 15 PD, stick of change, 2 DoW cannon Beast Army. This is after he went 1-4 at the Colonial.

Also, I am bringing a Walter to the Colonial and have a pickup game against the winner, Larry Mottola .

Hope you enjoyed the report.

2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

An Overview of all my units:
    Warboss- I believe this is an extremely important part of the army and would kit him out in no other way. He is such a difference maker in combat and his leadership is sorely needed. His ward save would have single handedly won or drew me all my games, but it wasn't too be.

BSB- Another fantastic character a BSB is a must and the Waaagh banner is so nice a surprise and gives me on average a 15 in. charge with the unit with the Waaagh! also he is still very resilient.

Chariot Boss- A rank breaker that scares the crap out of your oppponent, he can be such a difference maker and is so resilient. If I had not taken 6 hits when i ran into the wounds the game 1 would have been extremely different.

Boar Boss- Fantastic, originally i had a caddy in my list but this guy is so much better. I didn't even get to use my pigstikka and he is still so good. My opponents try to use a couple of units to trap my frenzied boars but they don't realize that my boss can charge out and deal with the small unit by himself with 6 S5 attacks.

Ch. Shield Orcs- Solid backbone of many O&G armies, they are deadly when you stick a strong character in their.

Big Unz- here is my magic defense, and it is all i needed. Also I didn't need armour with them, they killed so much as is, on the charge the unit gets 12S5 attacks at WS4, the unit is so many points but so good.

Arrer boyz- These guys are underrated. Sure you can take gobbos but they have such a wide frontage if you want to make the best use of them, plus these guys are S4 at the first round. Also the way I positioned them they did not cause any panic in my units and are awesome for redirecting charges, sure there are bettr units, but not in all orc army.

Savage Orcs- Great for guarding the flanks and rears. They really limited the movement of my opponent's cav and flyers, also you hav to think twice about charging 15 S4 attacks.

Boar chariots- chariots are always great to have but I think another unit of SO Boar Boyz could have been better but these guys have awesome flexibility.

SO Boar Boyz- Did what they were supposed to, run up the flank take out any units there and then threaten the ranked units, this unit gave my opponents fits.

Black Orcs- Fantastic Resilient unit that can put out so many high strength attacks. Also with their high rmour save they soak up tons of firepower. A third big blck is a necessity in my army.

I was able to get everything where i needed them when I needed them and they did their job for the most part. With average- good dice, I think this army can get a top 20-10 finish thanks to soft scores. I will definetely play them in another GT, not sure which though.
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

+ Reply to Thread