Lone Wolf VI (2008) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Lone Wolf VI (2008)

The big GT tourney here in Dallas is this weekend. LoneWolf Tournament: News

I ended the first day with a record of two wins and one losses. I'm too tired to really write this up, and my memory is far too faulty to give a turn by turn.

Here is the army I took.

Game one, Dwarfs. I massacre an amateur dwarf player. He took two units of Warriors, one of Hammerers, and one of Longbeards. In all fairness, my dice were quite good. My archers alone eliminated his hammerers in about three turns. For him, his cannons did poorly, though his lord of course stood defiant until the end of the game.

He didn't know how to counter my speed and maneuverability, and I picked my combats, never losing one. It was a strange scenario where you wanted more banners by the end of the game, whether your own or your enemy's. I had my original banner and one of his, but I needed another. So I went for his second unit of warriors on the last turn, something I hadn't planned to do. Wild Riders and War Dancers buzzed through them and snagged his unit's banner for the objective.

This guy was a very sporting player with a warm personality. As of now has my best sportsman's award. He was there to have fun, knew the rules, but just needed more practice in tourney-level competition.

20 tourney points out of a possible 20.

Game two, Lizardmen. This game would prove more interesting, as well as challenging. Not to mention frustrating. The scenario involved a storm moving from west to east across the board, D3 + 2 per turn. We would roll several 5" and by the end of the game about 2/3 of the table was wet, which disallowed shooting, marching, and casting.

His army consisted of 50 Skinks, Nike Old Blood, 2 blocks of Saurus, three units of Kroxigors, a unit of Terradons, two Salamader packs, two priests and that's about it.

First, I knew the dice gods would curse me because of how well I rolled in the previous game, but I didn't think they'd take their measure so soon, nor so smartly. My archers killed very little except for two good rounds of shooting at Saurus, almost wiping out a unit. I couldn't kill the last four on the final turn when my archers' dice crapped out again.

Also early in the game, I made the blunder of moving my War Dancers within charge range of a unit Kroxigors. Remarkably the Wardancers would hold. In fact the combat would continue until the end of turn 5. I threw another unit of War Dancers into the mix, but they would eventually be pulped. His last Kroxigor failed only two saves over several rounds of combat. Eventually, he would pulp the last War Dancer.

Nearby, his Salamanders were vomiting streams of fire across everything in their path. No lie, he had at least 60 hits on the artillery dice witht those buggers, including my Wild Riders.

I almost manufacted a draw if not for the 4 lingering Saurus. I made some critical mistakes early in the game, including deployment. I misread my target priorities and he played smart, consistent, and strategically throughout.

I took small solace in that I almost pulled a draw from what could have been a much worse loss.

This guy was silent and focused. He played a sporting game and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

This time I took the heavy hit, earning only 4 tourney points for a loss and failed objective (to keep the most points dry).

Between games two and three, we voted for Player's Choice Award. Everybody leaves their armies out (all 84 of them), walks about the room, and votes for the one that rocks their socks the best. My army is well painted, and I won best overall mini there last year, but let me tell you, there were some sharp armies there. I'll try and remember to take pics tomorrow. (On a side note, I joked with my wife that she could come as my caddy. She'd do live battle reports and digipics and give me shoulder rubs. She didn't go.)

I had hoped to do well with the painting as I'd added a nice display board and still had the same minis, with the addition of a nice Wild Rider unit. But there was one Ogre player there with a gorgeous army, Chris Watson IIRC. Very bold colors that were well blended. The army must've taken him ages, with some really well-done conversions.

I submitted this model for the small figs painting category, but the competition is stiffer this year than last. There were some very nice models done, but one of them was a 40K fig. I mean, c'mon. 40K! Pfshaw, that's heresy at a WHFB Indy GT!

Overall, the painting competition is much better and tougher. I don't know that I'll necessarily win anything.

Game three, I played Empire. Sorry, but this guy was a bit of a twig. I had gamed next to him my last game and heard some of his lawyering. But he seemed like a nice guy, and in all fairness, he was and is.

He ran a BSB on foot, a Grand Templar, a scroll caddy, and an Engineer. The Grand Templar was in a unit of 9 knights. There was another unit of 10 knights and one of 5. He had 20 or so Flaggelants. Two units of Swordsmen, each with a single detachment, two cannons and a mortar, and maybe more.

The scenario called for keeping your Lone Ranger alive. If you kill the other guy's Lone Ranger, you win the objective, as long as yours remains alive. Or if both survive, then the one with more kills wins the objective. The Lone Ranger had a different stat line and only a 5+ ward save, which would screw his Knight Panther that had to leave its unit.

His Empire army was new to him--how new, I don't know. He played it very oddly, I felt. He exposed flanks, charged obvious bait units that simply fled and set up easy flank and rear charges. His war machine guesses were way off, hardly inflicing any damage.

His second, large unit of knights would charge archers in the woods. He seemed surprised when the archers fled his charge. My War Dancers would countercharge in their flank, dropping two. Eventually with a little help, I would break and run the knights.

His second unit of knights would eventually kill a bit but fall below half points thanks to my Highborn, who had already killed the Empire's Lone Ranger by then. The Highborn would also eliminate half of the small knight unit.

He pulled some weirdness a couple of times. He corrected me on a rally rule and clarified an oversight as to maximum leadership in such cases. But on another he questioned the order in which my pursuing units would pursue. It's not worth going into here, but the next one is.

So his Knights Templar charge my Great Eagle, which was angled to drive him into the woods when he hit and killed the eagle while blocking a charge to the War Dancers. I hold with the Eagle as he will have to align to me and not get an overrun into my War Dancers.

But this guy reaches over and slides my eagle into alignment with his knights. I corrected him and said the eagle's not a skirmisher and that he aligns to me just as he would a ranked unit. He pitches a minor fit but relinquishes. And then later, he does it again with the smaller knight unit, clearly attempting to get a beneficial overrun.

It was almost a little bizarre as it's a rule everyone knows. All the while he talked of just wanting to play and have fun, but boy, was he jonesing for some winning combats.

As I said, this guy was a bit of a twig, but only during game play. Otherwise, he was pleasant, intelligent, and more than civil. I'd game with him again, but in a friendly, less-competitive environment.

This was an easy victory in the end, and I earned another 20 tourney points.

In conclusion, Day 1 went well. While I admit secret hopes of wanting to be in competition for the top 10, my loss today almost ensures I won't. Several of my buddies, the Grapevine Gamers and DAWGS, have simliar records.

My spoken goal was to win at least 3 games, a draw, and a loss--the same as last year.

Tomorrow, the first game is at 8:30 am, 11.5 hours away from the time I'm typing this. I have no idea, who I'll face, but it should be fun.

Last edited by DavidWC09; March 2nd, 2008 at 07:04.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Good job at LW so far and good luck tomorrow .

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Awesome summary reports there Dave, nice one. Unlucky vs the Lizzies, hope tomorrow goes well for you!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Lone Wolf - Day 2

The Lonewolf's done and I'm wiped. Here's how the day went.

Game four, Beasts of Chaos. This game would be downright bloody. He ran a Khorne list with very few units. He had a Doombull, Exalted Demon, and Champion of Khorne on a Juggernaut. Then four Minotaurs with great weapons, and four more of the same. Plus, four Minotaurs with extra hand weapons, and three more of the same. The four units of five flesh hounds. Last, three Khorne spawn.

The scenario had us either defend our oil well or attack the other player's well. I chose to defend as attacking meant killing all the enemy characters and champions. He chose to attack, which gave him 1d6 free movement once per game per unit, all in the same turn. This would hurt, but not as badly as it could have.

My game plan was to focus shooting on the two Minotaur units closer to the side I'd put my well on. The others I would try to lead off. This would work well and eventually I would rout his minotaurs and my two lone archers would run down his mighty Doombull.

At the end of the game, I had two units of Wardancers left, my treekin, and my general.

The game was a draw in my favor. By eleven points. Yes, eleven points away from a win. I'm still tearing hair out over that one. One unit of archers that panicked off the table cost me the game.

The BoC general was a smart and sporting player. Good game, hotly contested battle, and a tough draw.

I achieved my objective and had 12 tourney points.

Game 5, Dwarfs. Runelord and Anvil! Ahrrgh! Four ranked units and no Thunderers or Quarrelers to pick off for VPs. A Grudge Thrower and an Organ Gun. And five Miners.

He deployed oddly, stranding a Warrior unit without any support on the side of a large hill. The other three units--Warriors, Ironbreakers, and Longbeards--deployed on the other side of the rocky hill. The Organ Gun went on top of the hill, the Grudge Thrower between two ranked units, and the Anvil in back.

Unfortunately for him, his Dwarfs left their armor at home. My shooting decimated his Warrior units and Longbeards. His Miners tunneled in and charged my WRs in the rear thanks to the Anvil. Because of terrain, my WR champ ended up in the rear, and I would win combat. I claimed three quarters and banners.

I won my game and had 19 tourney points.

He was a really nice gamer and made for a pleasant ending to a tiring weekend.

In the end, I had 75 tourney points and a record of 3-1-1, the same as last year. I was content with that though that draw was so, so close! My one loss came against to the player who won best general so that made it a little less painful. He was a smart player and no doubt deserved his award.

In painting, I took third best small mini. For two days work, I'll take it without complaints.

It was a fun tourney with lots of tough players and sharp armies. The indy circuit in Texas is very active and large. I'm doing Alamo in November, but for now the WEs go in the closet and Ogres finally get paint.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; March 3rd, 2008 at 01:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Great job .

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

579 (x8)

Nice one Dave, great report

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Photos

This guy would win player's choice for his pirate Ogres. Nicely painted and a hit with the crowd.

A very nice army below. Bold colors and a lot of effort obviously went into it.

I liked this BoC army. All that yellow to highlight, ugh. It was really well done, except for two spawn that really detracted from the overall look of it.

This next army was fantastic. I mean, out the roof. Whether or not you like the colors, it is exceedingly well done. White Dwarf quality IMO. The conversions were terrific. Check out the big-butt giant. A lot of time went into converting that beast. Every model, each and every one, was painted to high standards.

He would win best army for this.

This is Ben Burn's army. He took Best Overall. It's a nicely painted army that he's really mastered. I drew against it once, but I wouldn't want to count on that again.

There were several more well-painted armies. It made for another fun aspect of the tourney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Way to Go DavidVC04! The orger army looks great! It sound like all the players were easy to get along with and that half of the tournament. 3-1-1 is great I know it's eating at you about the draw.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Well done David, those close draws are always plagued by the "what if?" monster.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    Well done David, those close draws are always plagued by the "what if?" monster.
    They are, and to make matters worse, once I saw the results, I could've won the entire tournament if not for that 11 VPs keeping me from a win. Warhammer Immortality was in my grasp!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast