Adepticon Devastation Battle Report - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Adepticon Devastation Battle Report

*I have some pictures, I'll see if I can get some posted up of my army and my opponents'... no real turn-by-turn ones, though

So a group of friends and I made the long trip from Atlanta, GA to Chicago, IL for this year's Adepticon. It'll be the first year for all of us. We've heard great things about it, though, so we have high expectations. It didn't disappoint. I had some really competitive games against great players throughout the event and only ran into one unsporting player. I participated in the Fantasy Devastation on Friday, 40k Team Tournament on Saturday, and the 40k Championships on Sunday... overall, a busy weekend, but a really fun time. Totally worth the trip, I highly recommend that anyone who can make it to next year's event to do so.

So this is my Friday's battle report in the Fantasy Devastation event.

The format was very different to anything else I have played in. It was all about winning your games while conserving your own troops. There was no comp, just battle points, sportsmanship, and painting. I'm playing my Skaven, which are painted above average, but are not a stand out "wow, look at that!" army that I saw in a bunch of the others.

Now you start out with 3,000 points, with everything being pitched battles. After your first game, if you win (or score 500+ vp's and lose within 300 points), you can choose to count it as a "devastation". Doing so means you only play with the models that survive in your next game. Anything that dies is gone... multi-wound models move as-is. One-use items are reset. Minimum squad sizes are removed - you move to the next game exactly as you are now, other than the item reset.

I figure there will be a lot of undead, as they can heal up their units... a lot of fast / strong stuff to try and flank & overpower.. a lot of the nasty special characters you don't see often. I'm taking my Skaven as they're the only painted army I have, but I feel I have a good shot at winning at least 2 of my games. After which, I'll probably be too hurt to continue, as I tend to kill my own mages by rolling 1's with how many hits warp lightning gets. We'll have to see how it goes.

Anyway, without any comp, I'm going for the nastiest Skaven army I can think of. Also, I'm trying to go for any army that can kill at range and then retreat to conserve points. Not sure how effectively I'll be able to retreat, but anything I can do to conserve bodies in a Skaven army and keep ranks for leadership will be great.

Without further ado, here's the list:

Lords:
    Grey Seer (General) - Warpstone Charm, Warp Scroll, Dispel Scroll
    Grey Seer - Tenebrous Cloak, Warp Scroll, Dispel Scroll
    * I think those two are right, going off of memory - may have mixed up the items a bit.

Heroes:
    Warlock Engineer - Accumulator, Condenser, Warp Blades - Storm Daemon
    Warlock Engineer - Accumulator, Condenser, Warp Blades - Eye of the Horned Rat, Dispel Scroll
    Warlock Engineer - Accumulator, Condenser, Warp Blades - Warp Scroll
    Warlock Engineer - Accumulator, Condenser, Warp Blades - Brass Orb

Core:
    Slaves, 20
    Slaves, 20
    Slaves, 20
    Warriors, 25 - FC
    - Ratling Gun
    Warriors, 25 - FC
    - Ratling Gun
    Warriors, 25 - FC
    - Ratling Gun
    Warriors, 25 - FC
    - Ratling Gun

Special:
    Jezzails, 9
    Jezzails, 9
    Gutter Runner Tunneling Team, 5 - Poisoned Hand Weapons
    Gutter Runner Tunneling Team, 5 - Poisoned Hand Weapons

Rare:
    Warp Lightning Cannon
    Warp Lightning Cannon
    DoW Giant

Basically just try to magic/shoot the crap out of everything as it approaches. Anything that gets close I try to flank with slaves, or redirect charges with them. Last line of defense is the Giant.

Game 1:

My worst nightmare - I get paired up against Thorek in the first round. Not that I can't beat him, but he has the potential to do so much damage to my key units that I'm not sure I'll be able to devastate. One Wrath and Ruin hit can break both jezzails. Problem!

His list:

Lords:
    Dwarf Lord (General) - Rune of Cleaving / Rune of Stone
    Thorek Ironbrow - Anvil of Doom, yadda yadda

Heroes:
    Thane (BS - Battle Standard, Master Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Cleaving, Rune of Fury / Rune of Stone
    Master Engineer - Rune of Stone

Core:
    Longbeards, 19 - Musician, Chamption, HW+Sh
    Longbeards, 20 - Musician, Standard, GW's
    Warriors, 20 - Musician, Standard, Master Rune of Grungni
    Thunderers, 10
    Thunderers, 10

Specials:
    Hammers, 19 - FC
    Ironbreakers, 20 - Banner, Musician
    Cannon

Rares:
    Organ Gun
    Flame Cannon

After seeing everything other than Thorek, I realized the list was fairly weak. It didn't really have much of a unified purpose. It didn't have a lot of shooting, but it had enough to weaken the number of combat units. I resolved to kill the shooting units first, especially the flame cannon, then back up & magic/shoot like Skaven love to do.

There's not much terrain on the field, as you'd expect with big games... it'd start to get in the way. He's got two small hills on the right and another small hill on the left. There's a small wood in the middle-right of the board, a building on the left side of the board, and a small hill on my right side deployment zone.

Thorek goes behind the hill, he puts thunderers on each flank, the cannon on the left, the flame cannon & organ gun on the right, warriors between the FC&OG, then lines up everything else in the center of the board. Pretty standard dwarf deployment.

I put two units of slaves on the left for flanking & distractions, then put one WLC, both Jezz's, and the Giant on the right, and the rest in the middle-right kinda clustered. So I'm just shifted to the right of his battle line, on thorek's side.

He entrenches the Organ Gun, effectively blocking one of my jezzails from shooting in the first turn (the small woods blocked them from the flame cannon).

I put my two tunnelling team markers next to the organ gun and flame cannon.

Despite the +1 to go first, I luckily win the roll and elect first turn.

Turn 1:

Me:
    My one unit of jezzails moves to see the flame cannon. Giant runs up 12" towards the warriors + organ gun and hopes for a non-10 shot roll. Everything else advances just enough to get into warp lightning range.

In the magic phase, I realize he has only 7 dice and no scrolls. It's going to be a tough phase for him. I completely kill the unit of thunderers across from me and also drop 8 of the hammerers. I then skitter leap the brass orb mage right next to the flame cannon, in between it and thorek... also on the other side of the small hill from the organ gun.

In the shooting phase, the one jezzail unit that can see the flame cannon shoots and puts a wound on the machine. The mage throws with all his might and prays, but a scatter takes it off of Thorek and into nothingness.

Him:
    He moves up the warriors opposite the giant a few inches. I realize at this point that he's pretty new to the game. He's a really really nice guy, a great sport, but not yet experienced enough to see the entire table at once. Everything else moves up a bit - just out of ratling gun range, but still in range of all of my mages. I think he needed to just rush me with everything (except the warriors opposite the giant). Thunderers on the left move up onto the hill on that side (it was just out of his DZ).

Organ gun puts three wounds on the giant, out of 8 shots I'll take that. Thorek does Wrath and Ruin and gets 3 targets. I wish my jezzails fun in the box, anticipating all of their removals, but he picks some warrior squads instead. He kills a few here and a few there, but not enough to cause a panic check. Flame cannon falls short.

Turn 2:

Me:
    One tunnelling team comes up and charges the organ gun. Giant charges the warriors in front of him. Everything else starts the backward shuffle except for the slaves. The ones on the flank rush forward for flank charges / distractions, and the one in the left middle runs forward and stands right in front of two dwarf units - they now cannot wheel out of the way and must charge if they want to go forward.

Magic gets the hammerers down to 2 models left, one of them being the dwarf lord. Also kill 5 long beards with someone who couldn't reach the remaining guys in the hammerer squad.

In the shooting phase, ratlings are out of range, but the jezzails wipe out the flame cannon completely. Warp Lightning Cannons fail to snipe out the dwarf lord.

Combat sees the giant and warriors still sitting there, the warriors down 3 and the giant unhurt in the combat (though still 3 wounds off from the OG). The tunnelling team kills the OG crew and overruns 9 inches. They can now see thorek & co. Not that they can beat them in combat, but can hopefully lock them up.

Him:
    He doesn't charge the slaves in front of both longbeard units and instead just stalls his advance further. The iron breaks on the left flank start rushing towards the slaves on my far left. They're going to be out of the game at this point. The lord leaves the poor hammerer and runs behind the long beards. I can still hit him with a cannon shot, though, not needing line of sight.

Thunderers on the left kill some slaves on that flank. Thorek gets only 1 unit with wrath and ruin, hitting the slaves in front of his two units doing 12 hits & 10 wounds - but they're in range of the grey seer and pass their check at a 7. Cannon kills 2 jezzails, but not enough for a panic check.

Turn 3:

Me:
    Other tunneller arrives, scattering 10" and .5" from the board edge. Both charge Thorek in the hopes that one of them can stay and prevent the anvil from going off next turn. Start backing up the warriors some more. Slaves in front of the longbeards stay still. Ones on the left prepare to charge the cannon, ones on the right set up a flank charge the BSB longbeard unit.

Magic puts the BSB LB unit down to 5 models, kills 5 of the other LB.

In combat, the giant and warriors hold each other up again, the tunnellers aim everything they can at Kraggi and kill him (yay, no more re-roll failures!), and I actually win combat when he fails to hurt me. He's unbreakable, though, so we stick around.

Him:
    He charges the slaves with both units, so I flee of course, and roll an 11 - I go 12" away! I run through a few of my own troops, but they don't care because none of them were slaves. The thunderers on the left break the slaves on the left with some good shooting, and the cannon fails to snipe a mage out of his unit.

In combat, I lose the Thorek fight by one, since I killed nothing and he killed two, but I have mass... testing at a 6, they both hold, amazingly. The giant also got tired of swinging his club and decided to jump up and down. He crushes a bunch and then proceeds to run them down.

Turn 4:

Me:
    Slaves on the right flank charge the BSB unit (5 strong including BSB, who isn't in the fight). Giant moves to draw sight on Thorek. I continue to withdraw, and now also full out fall back with all of my mages. I've wounded one of my own guys with rolling a "1" on the number of hits for warp lightning, and don't want to risk my mages anymore since I've won the game at this point. Even if thorek breaks free on my turn, he can't target single characters with wrath and ruin, so they all bail and get out of sight of the cannon.

The general just goes to help the slaves on the left rally, since those in the center make it off the board on my turn. He does so by hiding behind a hill within 12" of them with a successful skitter leap.

So no real magic. I do still need to shoot at the one unit of longbeards still at 15 strong, though. One ratling rolls double 5's and explodes - doh! The other kills 4. Jezzails pick off another 2.

In combat, my slaves fail to wound his longbeards, he whifs with his one attack, too. I win by 3 ranks, banner, flank vs. BSB (he has no regular banner in that unit). Testing at -4, he passes on the BSB reroll. Thorek breaks one unit of tunnellers, the other holds.

Him:
    Iron Breakers now advance, with no real target in sight since the slaves near them broke to thunderer fire. The non-flanked LB unit turns to face the slaves fighting the other one on the flank.

BSB holds again, Thorek breaks the 2nd tunnellers.

Turn 5:

Me:
    Giant charges thorek. Ratlings shoot the second LB unit down to 4 models.

Slaves break the BSB unit finally but fail to run them down. They overrun into the other LB's. And then my favorite moment I've ever had in fantasy happened: The giant picked Thorek up and put him in his bag. Yes, the great and powerful thorek is stuff in a bag at the hip of a giant along with a few sheep and various other items.

My opponent and I had a good laugh at that one - as I said, he was a great sport.

Him:
    BSB rallies, IB's do nothing. His other LB's hold against the slaves.

Turn 6:

Me:
    No move, no magic. His LB's roll badly and break from the super-slaves!

Him:
    The BSB counter charges the slaves with his 4 guys and breaks them. Too bad - I would have liked a second slave unit in the next game.

Overall:
    I won the game handily, there were no victory levels, so I didn't bother recording the actual points. The real thing was that I got to devastate. The result was:
    - Both tunnellers dead (bad news if I go up against tomb kings or an artillery heavy empire)
    - Two slave units dead
    - One slave unit at 8/20
    - One ratling gun dead
    - One jezzails at 7/9
    - One engineer wounded
    - Giant at 3/6 wounds
    - One warrior squad at 22/25
    - One warrior squad at 20/25
    - One warrior squad at 13/25

Everything else was fine.

Now I got very lucky in that game. My dice rolled pretty well, I didn't get many 1's with warp lightning, and when I did I only ended up wounding myself once out of three (one rolled a 1, the other a 2 against a grey seer). Also, my opponent didn't have very good target priority against me. He mentioned not having played Skaven before, so that's completely understandable. A very nice guy.

I took a look at some of the other lists:
    - Lots of dragons
    - Two double slann lists (one of which was using Kroak)
    - A two blood thirster list
    - A shooty empire list with two stanks

Some real nastiness out there still. I didn't see how they did in their games, though - Next game should be interesting, as I still have most of my power units left alive.

After a lunch break, they give us the second round pairings.

Game 2:

One of the Double Slann lists. Not the Kroak one, though. It's a Sacred Spawning of Quetzl flavor.

His List:

Lords (and heros / rares):
    Slann (General) - Plaque of Dominion, Scroll, 2nd gen
    Slann (BS - Plaque of Tepok, Diadem of Power, Blood Statuette of Spite, 2nd gen

Heroes:
    Scar-Veteran - Quetzl spawning, Sotek Spawning, Enchanted Shield, Charm of the Jaguar Warrior, Great Weapon
    (DEAD) Skink Priest - Rod of the Storm

Core:
    (20 of 25) Saurus Warriors, 25 - FC
    (DEAD) Skinks, 12 - Javelin & shield
    (DEAD) Jungle Swarm, 3
    (10 of 10) Skinks, 10 - Blowpipes

Specials:
    (4 of 4, 1 wound off) Kroxigors, 4
    (1 of 6, the banner bearer) Saurus Cavalry, 6 - FC, Huanchi's Blessed Totem
    (2 of 2, 1 wound off) Terradons, 5

Rares:
    (2 of 3 Salamanders, 2 of 9 handlers), Salamanders, 3

So he lost his skink priest, 5 saurus warriors, the javelin skinks, the jungle swarms, one salamander & some handlers, then most of his saurus cavalry. He lost more than me, but not that much. Like me, he still had the power of his list intact: both slann priests.

I figured I could win this game by overpowering his magic defense, especially since I had a strong magic defense with all 10 dice and three scrolls left. I would get worn down, though, if I couldn't kill one of his slann in the first 3 turns. This was going to be more difficult since his BSB slann got great spells. Doom & Darkness, heal all wounds (doh, would really suck to have a slann get 7 wounds back!), conflagration of doom, and a pair of other magic missiles. He's target #1, even more so than the general. The general did get Burning Head, though. That's a problem spell, especially when combined with Doom & Darkness.

Anyway, the board was fairly open. A building just left of center in his DZ, a small hill to the right. There was a small-ish woods in the center of the board, another on the left of my DZ, and a small hill on the right of my DZ.

I spread out a bit, focusing mainly on the right side of the center woods with my infantry blocks + the unit of 9 jezzails, with a unit of Jezzails (7 strong), the small warrior squad, the giant, and both cannons on that side. He put the terradons behind the right hill, everything else around / behind the building.

Turn 1:

Him:
    He wins the roll to go first and takes it. He advances some, around 8". He keeps his kroxi's and salamanders moving along with his big saurus block and two slann (outside of the units). His saurus cav rider goes stupid and runs into his skinks, blocking them both. The terradons are hiding from the jezzails on the right side of the board.

I am able to stuff most of his magic. I left doom & darkness go off on a cannon, since it's unlikely to take a panic check. He tries to burning head it, but I guessed correctly that it was out of range, and then blocked everything else.

Me:
    I realize that he's trying to just kill the small component in front of him and avoid the main force of my army, since there's a 1 VP margin for a win (ie, no draws)... This means I must be aggressive. I start running up the warrior blocks as fast as possible, both to threaten flanks since he went straight forward, and to get my mages into range. Jezzails on the right also advance some to try and get line of sight to something. Slaves, which are on the far right, move forward to get into the opposite table quarter just in case it comes down to it.

Giant moves up slightly, out of the Kroxi charge range, but close enough so that he'll be able to charge next turn if the lizards continue to advance.

Magic kills a Kroxigor, but is otherwise fairly ineffective. I do skitterleap the mage with the brass orb (yes, he survived his sling-shot at thorek last game) right in between his two slann. Less than 8" from both, and march blocking just about everything. Kroxi's pass their panic check.

Both cannons aim at slanns, but they have an anti-cannon ward up as both misfire, one of which explodes. The Jezzails attempt to shoot at the general but fail to even cause a wound. I decide that I'll take that with a smile if my next trick works: I throw the brass orb at the BSB and pray.... 10", but direct hit! He rolls a 3 on his initiative test and gets crumpled. He was surprised by that, he'd never seen the orb before. And I admit, I hadn't even considered using it until such a high point value game - but I'm glad I took it! The game just turned big time.

Turn 2:
    Him:
    He's now in the whole losing a slann, and also magic deficient, so he has to be the aggressor. He advances forward (though slowly, since he's march blocked). Amazingly, he puts his remaining slann in front of the Kroxi's and in charge range of the Giant. I'm seriously wondering what he's doing with that move.

In the magic phase, I stuff everything he does except for his last spell: fiery blast at the giant goes off irresistably. Damn! He rolls well and kills it, so much for charging the slann with him. Worse yet, he causes panic checks to the cannon (who fails) and the nearby 13 man warrior squad (who pass). Lucky that the warriors pass as they would have run through the Jezzails that were on the left.

Shooting saw the salamanders make the orb mage pay for his slann assassination with his life. Poor guy!

Me:
    I continue the flank move, I have a ratling move into the woods (more than 2" in, but close enough to march block some more). The cannon rallies, and the warriors on the left start backing up towards the edge to avoid charges. Magic kills another two Kroxi's, there's now 1 with only 1 wound left. I also kill a salamander and both handlers. Both panic checks are passed, the salamander becomes frenzied from the failed monster reaction test, though.

Shooting fails to hurt the big guy again.

Turn 3:
    Him:
    The last Kroxigor moves up to see the rallied cannon, out of ratling sight. The Saurus warriors now turn to respond to the flank threat after being march blocked for a second turn in a row. Sally also turns towards the right. The Skinks keep moving forward a bit, towards the small warrior block and Jezzails.

I stuff his magic, the sally kills 3 warriors.

Me:
    Magic kills the last sally, but is otherwise blocked... except that I kill one of my own mages, doh!

Cannon fails to wound the slann. Jezzails fail to put the last wound on the Kroxi, oops... that cannon is now in trouble, too.

Turn 4:
    Him:
    Kroxi declares a charge on the cannon, flees 6" and stays on the board. Everything else turns back to the left. Skinks run up some more. They are just so slightly out of my charge range (not that I'd want to charge, anyway, since they'd flee and I'd be closer to the warriors). Scar Vet leaves the warrior unit, though, and goes up to the woods... being careful to stay out of sight from the ratling guns. Terradons peek out from behind their hill at a unit with a couple mages in it.

Slann's magic gets stuffed.

Me:
    Cannon rallies, amazingly. Warriors on the left back up. I stop advancing with the other warrior units on the right flank, seeing as he's out of charge range with his saurus warriors for the next two turns (march blocked on turn 5, and he's more than 12" away with them).... and I don't want to risk getting them hit in a bad position. I make sure to move the mage away from the corner of the unit against the Terradons to not allow them to swing on one.

No real magic to speak of. Ratlings kill the Kroxi. Jezzails wound the slann. The other Jezzails kill the Saurus Cav who peeked his head out from behind his building a little too far.

Turn 5:
    Him:
    Completely surprising me, the Slann declares a charge on the closest ratling gun. I figure nobody would wound each other and I would break from mass, so I fled. Terradons also charge the warrior unit with 3 mages in it (two seers & 1 engineer). The Scar Vet moves into the woods to get sight on a block with a mage in it.

In the magic phase, the Slann gets an irresistable Fiery Blast to route the Jezzails (guess I should have held on the charge!). Terradons break from combat and run pretty far.

Me:
    Ratling rallies. Odd, but I'll take it. I kill the Terradons with one magic missile and then fail to kill the Scar Vet.

Turn 6:
    Him:
    The Scar Vet charges the warrior block with 1 engineer in there (22 strong with FC & engineer) using the charm of the jaguar warrior. The Slann is able to magic missile a ratling gun. Skinks double shot into the warriors and cause 4 wounds, fail all 4 saves and break off the board.

In combat, the unit champion challenges and gets wiped out. He passes his break test, though, from the static res.

Me:
    My Grey Seers valiantly try to skitterleap the engineer out of combat. My first one is stuffed with dice and the second one is blocked with a scroll he'd been holding on to the entire time. As a result, he gets crushed by the scar vet. The scar vet holds again.

Overall:
    We added up points and I won the game. Even though he lost, he still counted it as a Devastation just to see how he could do in the last round. I counted it as a devastation, too, though I did lose some of my strength. Three engineers died and the other wounded himself along the way. Thankfully both Grey Seers were okay and I still had 3 warrior blocks. So far, I had lost:
    - Both tunnellers dead
    - Two slave units dead
    - One slave unit at 8/20
    - Two ratling guns dead
    - One jezzail unit dead
    - One engineer wounded
    - Three engineers dead
    - Giant dead
    - One warrior squad dead
    - One warrior squad at 22/25
    - One warrior squad at 18/25
    - One warrior squad at 16/25
    - One cannon dead

So I still had:
    - Both Grey Seers
    - One engineer (storm daemon), wounded
    - Slaves 8/20
    - Warriors 22/25 with Ratling
    - Warriors 18/25 with Ratling
    - Warriors 16/25 without Ratling
    - Cannon
    - Jezzails 9/9

Pretty tactical moving by my opponent, would have been a really tough game had I not been able to orb the BSB slann. Good guy, I enjoyed playing him.

I heard that the Kroak double-slann list devastated with both of the big guys still alive. I hoped for a different army matchup! :p I still had two grey seers and a mage left, so decent magic defense but simply not enough against those guys. And two scrolls left would only stem the tide for a turn or so. Now the player had lost almost everything else. I think he had 4 temple guard left, and maybe his scar vet. It'd be good that he had the TG left, as it would limit his movement forcing him to stay in there. I figured I might have a small shot at just charging everything across the field and charge in there, then trying to shoot into the combat to kill the TG and make them lose the stubborn ability. A longshot, but thankfully I did end up paired against a different person. A Hordes of Chaos player. Great news! Especially since there was no dragon, yay.

Game 3:

Kinda standard Hordes of Chaos list with a slight Khorne flavor to it.

Lords:
    (1 wound off) Exalted Sorceror of Chaos - Mark of Slaanesh, Chaos Steed, Level 4, Chaos Daemon Sword, Talisman of Protection

Heroes:
    Exalted Champion (General) - Armor of Damnation, Great Weapon
    Exalted Champion - Shield, Berserker Sword
    Bray-Shaman - Bray Staff, 2xScroll

Core:
    (15 of 20) Marauders, 20 - FC, shields
    (1 of 4) Chosen Knights, 4 - Mark of Khorne, Musician
    (3 of 4) Chaos Knights, 4 - Mark of Khorne, Musician
    (2 of 5) Chaos Knights, 5 - Mark of Slaanesh, Musician
    (2 wounds off) Chaos Chariot
    (2 wounds off) Chaos Chariot
    Chaos Chariot
    (DEAD) Chaos Chariot
    (DEAD) Chaos Warhounds, 5
    (DEAD) Chaos Warhounds, 5

Specials:
    (DEAD) Furies, 7
    (DEAD) Fleshhounds, 7
    (DEAD) Centigors, 6 - Shield, Throwing Axes, Musician
    (5 of 5 Ungors) Beast Herd, 5 Gors, 5 Ungors - Musician
    (1 of 8 Gors [standard bearer], 7 of 13 Ungors) Best Herd, 8 Gors, 13 Ungors - FC

Rares:
    (1 of 3, 3 wounds off) Dragon Ogres, 3 - Light Armor, Great Weapons
    (2 wounds off) Chaos Spawn - Mark of Slaanesh

He still had all of his characters and a *large* number of weakened units. He also lost most of his fast stuff. I figured if I could pop the chariots I'd be fine, otherwise it'd get ugly. Now I didn't realize that the chariots were just taken as core choices... and then he deployed characters inside of them. Not sure if that's legal or if you have to actually buy the character a chariot on its own and then he's in there with no option. Something to check for future games.

Deployment saw me with the ratling-less warrior squad on the left & everything else on the right, he lined up everything mostly on the right. There was a hill in the middle of the field, too, which blocked some sight. Since this game was pretty quick, as we both have much smaller armies now:

Turn 1:
    Me:
    I win the first turn and in the magic phase kill only one model: my wounded mage. Jezzails kill the wounded chariot that has no character in it.

Him:
    He advances, I block his magic.

Turn 2:
    Me:
    I move slaves up to force charges by Khorne, then set up a flanking position with my general's unit - need to keep him in the unit, though, or risk magic missiles / slaaneshi movement spell being cast on him.

Magic is no better and nothing goes off. Shooting kills the Khorne Chosen Knight (jezzails), Dragon Ogre (ratling), Spawn (other ratling). Cannon yet again rolls high strength but fails range - this time with a 19" range shot when I needed a 21 to hit the sorceror who would have gotten no look out, sir roll.

Him:
    He fails an unruly check and has to charge my slave bait. The other khorne knight squad is in range and must charge, too. I stuff his magic again. Slaves break from combat. Khorne overruns into my trap, the beast herd restrains.

Turn 3:
    Me:
    I charge the khorne knights in the flank. I move my left warriors onto the hill, facing the side of the marauder unit. Magic fails to get the general out of the warrior unit with two skitter leaps. Cannon finally gets a good shot and shoots out the general's chariot. Jezzails get a good roll, too and kill the other chariot + character in one volley. Ratling kill most of the herd that had just broken slaves. Ratling kills one of the slaaneshi knights. My shooting and magic rolls had been very bad up until that point, but I was quite pleased now figuring the game was pretty much over now.

The Khorne knights break but get away.

Him:
    Slaaneshi mage & knight charge the warriors on the right who hold. The remaining Gor (ungors all died from previous shooting) and shaman charge ratling, just out of 5" and they die to the stand and shoot reaction. Small herd (5 ungors) charges flank of warrior squad on the hill. Marauders, apparently convinced that I'm not going to get free of that combat, fearlessly walk around me leaving their flank exposed. On top of that, the general joins that unit - on the other side of them, too. Not sure what he was thinking there. Khorne knights rally.

Magic sees the movement spell cast with a miscast 12 (irresistable then forgets spell) on the cannon.

The small herd breaks and I restrain. Bad news for his general's unit. The warriors hold against the Knights, but I'm surprised by the Daemon weapon and realize it's only a matter of time before they break.

Turn 4:
    Me:
    I declare a charge on the general's unit, who flees. I finally get a spell off and plague the general's unit, killing 10 of 15! Ratling then kills 3 more, so they're now under 25% and can't rally. Jezzails kill the recently rallied khorne knights. Cannon reaches his destination and the spell ends.

Warriors hold again.

Him:
    General can't rally. We kinda forgot about the beast herd, since it broke and ran into the area that the dead were collecting... but there were only 5 ungors left anyway, so they were irrelevant. So he basically had only the sorceror and his one remaining knight left. They broke the warriors and pursued off the board.

Turn 5:
    Me:
    I move everything over to where he's going to come on the board and prepare to magic/shoot him up.

Him:
    Comes on the board, has nothing to do, so surrenders in the face of 9 jezzails, 2 ratlings, a cannon, and two grey seers.

Overall:
    So I won all three of my games. My paint job is above average, but nothing too special. My only conversion is my Giant, which I converted to put up a rat head on there to make him fit a bit more with the army. I'm not too confident about tie breakers with soft scores, and there were no bonus objectives, so that's what it will come down to, since there were several devastating into the last round (no draws, 1 vp difference to win).

When I go to turn in my score sheet, they ask me to tally up the points I have left. Adding up individual models and not based on original unit sizes for full/half points, I ended up with just over 1100 left alive. For three consecutive games with Skaven, I felt pretty good about it. Not that it would be the most, but just about the performance in general. I made a mistake here and there, but couldn't really ask for anything more from a low-ish leadership army that can misfire so horrendously.

Sure enough, when I was turning in my scoresheet, someone turned theirs in stating that they had 2032 left on the field. Wow, amazing! I didn't find out what he was playing / his match-ups, but that's pretty impressive regardless.

Scores haven't been posted yet, so I'm not sure where I ended up finishing in the field, but either way I did better than I expected... I had predicted 2-1 going into the event.

Good start to the (long!) weekend. I also participated in the 40k team tournament and the 40k championship. I didn't really keep track all of the details of the team tourney since there were two people per side and I wasn't moving everything. I went 3-1 in the event, with the other teammate pairings going 2-2. We ended up with 4 massacres, 1 major win, and 3 massacred. Considering we got together kinda last minute and had no real coherent forces, we were pleased with the result.

The 40k championship you can read about here:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1143930 (Adepticon 40k Championship Battle Report)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Great report. You described each of the battle very well, and I had a clear picture of what was happening. I'm not so sure what would have happened if you had had to face that lizardman army first though...
    Congrats on the good performance though.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

moob, I already respected you, but this report has made me respect you all the more.

It's a brilliant writeup. I like how you transcribe your strategic thinking. It made for a very interesting battle report.

I hope I never face you at a tournament. You're one hell of a smart player. Are you coming to the Hillbilly in Memphis?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You reaaly had some great tatics. The report was well writen. I hope you do make it to the hillbilly you sound like a great player that is fun to play.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. And yes, if I went up against the Lizardman army in the first round, it would have been a much tougher tournament. He was able to kill a large part of my army (effective parts, anyway, if not really model-wise) that I would have been very hampered in the further rounds.

I do hope to be at the event in Memphis, but I'll probably be playing in the Big Waaagh / 40k side of things there if I'm there. Gotta give my Necrons another shot after falling just short in the 40k championships at Adepticon!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Sirhuma and I gamed together back in Tennessee. He and some other of my old gaming crowd are driving to Memphis. I'm driving there with some of the new gaming crowd from Texas. If you end up going to the hillbilly, drop me a PM and we'll try and meetup.

It sounds like a huge event. There's something like 160 WHFB signed up.

As a convention, it'll be pretty damned huge.

Thanks again for the report. I actually found it instructional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

Really great write-up!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x6)

They just posted the results. I placed 4 of 35. Not bad, I lost some soft scores in painting simply because there were a lot of really great looking armies there and mine's not of that high quality. It's not bad looking, but not one where you say "wow, look at that!" :p

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

Congrats. Top 5 is terrific.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

What a fun way to have a tourney! Ofcourse I would loose horribly by round two becasue I wouldn't have enough to even put up a fight. Everything is expendable when I play. Doesn't seem to mtter what army I am plying either.

Great batrep and great job.

+ Reply to Thread